Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trying to add printer  (Read 2726 times)

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
trying to add printer
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »
Hi, i have 1 xpsp3 pc that has a hp 3310 printer wired through ethernet cable that works great. The printer was added using the add printer wizard and uses the generic windows driver. I have another xp sp3 pc that i want to do the same. The problem is the hp 3310 printer is not listed in the windows printer dialogue box???? There seems to be a lot more printers listed in dialogue box in the  first pc than the second, How can i find a generic windows driver for this printer, or how can i update the list of printer drivers on the second pc, or failing that how can i copy the relavent files from the first pc?? Thank you

I dont want install the "full featured" (read full of bloat) software package, just the generic stuff as per the 1st pc

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
Re: trying to add printer
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »
bump

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
    Please do NOT bump it may turn out to be counterproductive to your desire for assistance. Are you trying to "share " a printer if so you will need to set up a network. truenorth

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »
    Please do NOT bump it may turn out to be counterproductive to your desire for assistance. Are you trying to "share " a printer if so you will need to set up a network. truenorth

Its either bump or disappear into the ethernet. Thank you for responding. I am not trying to share a printer. I am trying to access a printer with a xpsp3 pc that is on the same ethernt connected network as another xp sp3 pc.
    The proble is there is no printer driver listed in the GENERIC WINDOWS perinter driver dialogue box on the 2nd pc as there is on the first pc. As an experiment I restored my 2nd pc to a previous time, and was able to connect it as per the 1st pc because a driver was listed for it. (no the printer has never been connected to this pc before) It is obviously a windows problem because the restored pc has easily twice as many printers listed in the add printer dialogue box. I have tried the windows update under the dialogue, but all it does is duplicate the HP printers listed, that is one lot under HP and a duplication under Hewlett Packard. 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »
      Please excuse me but i am having some difficulty understanding your issue re the 2 computers and your printer. As i understand it your difficulty is that you are unable to get proper drivers (generic) on your 2nd computer that will enable you to use that printer? Why are you not either installing the drivers from the printer software or going to the printer manufacturers web site and download the most current drivers for the printer from there? What am i missing here? truenorth