Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP3  (Read 7008 times)

techiedropout

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP3
    « on: June 17, 2011, 01:40:37 PM »
    I bought my laptop in 2004 before the 2004 release date of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004.  It is a Toshiba Satellite P25-S670 and at the time of purchase very expensive--over $3500.  Frankly I got it for the 17-inch screen, not to watch tv or do musical things.  I have invested in RAM and it now contains 2GB of RAM (it started out with 512 MB of RAM).
    It runs Microsoft programs fine but having invested so much money I would like to use it for Adobe Creative Suite software.  This computer has always been troublesome with running any software that is not from Microsoft. 

I instinctively feel that to tamper with an OS that was factory installed which this was as OEM is courting trouble--particularly since my laptop has the built-in tv tuner capability for watching tv and a host of other features I have never used that in 2004 were extremely advanced.

What is the best way to use this laptop and its generous amount of RAM for Adobe and other non microsoft programs?  Is there something about the computer's registry that is different?  Is there a safe OS to upgrade it to that would allow it to be compatible with most all programs?
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Techiedropout

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP3
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 02:18:30 PM »
    1.  This computer has always been troublesome with running any software that is not from Microsoft.
    2.  What is the best way to use this laptop and its generous amount of RAM for Adobe and other non microsoft programs? 
    3.  Is there something about the computer's registry that is different?
    4.  Is there a safe OS to upgrade it to that would allow it to be compatible with most all programs?
    1.  Please explain this further.
    2.  Nothing special.
    3.  No.
    4.  No.

techiedropout

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »
      1.  When installing Creative Suite 3, it just hung--task manager said it was running but after a very long time the green progress bar had not moved and the cdrom drive was not spinning at all and no light came on to indicate that it was reading the info on the installation cd.  But believe me, CS 3 has problems on lots of computers, it is just that it had this weird hanging problem only on my MCE computer

With CS 2 it did not understand the color profiles used.

I think that it had some trouble with the ACT contact management software a while back. 

I stopped using it when I got computers that had regular Windows XP Home and Pro because they were easier to use.  But now, I really need the extra power offered by this Toshiba--especially the RAM.  It is a Pentium 4 and has 80 GB hard drive so it would be very useful to be able to depend on it for my older software programs.  If this is not specific enough, I can return to the forum when I have more specifics.  I was just wondering if while I had the time (on vacation from work), I should investigate another OS--either a later version of MCE or something else that has been really tested. 

In 2004-2005 most software had not been tested on MCE 2002 and no one seemed to be able to answer any questions about it.
      Thanks,
      techiedropout

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »
      I don't know enough about the differences between MCE2002 & WinXP.  I am not familiar with the software you are attempting to install.
      The question to be considered is how much money do you want to invest in an 8-10 year old laptop?  All laptops were expensive then, my 12 year old laptop was over $2500.  Most laptops are now in the $500-$1000 price range and will be 5X faster than the one you now, have 2GB RAM, & a 320GB hard drive.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
      It's 7 years old...
      You have done all the upgrading it will take by bumping it to 2G of RAM...
      The slowness is not a Microsoft issue...it is what it is.

The only OS upgrade i would suggest would be Win2K...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

techiedropout

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
        Yes, but with a  twist--I am looking for a technical manual for the XP MCE 2002 that I can use to just bone up  on this OS.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
        I'm assuming you read my suggestion and have decided to stik with MCE.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "