Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Samsung Ships 1TB drives for Laptops.  (Read 8952 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Samsung Ships 1TB drives for Laptops.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
    like to be able to hit the power button on my pc and see my desktop within a few seconds...

Why?
Well, the Telly and the bidot work that way, why not the computer.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 05:53:57 PM »

It's bidet...
And he wasn't discussing flush times...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
What about toilets! When you flush them, you have to wait until it's ready to accept- err... "new input"
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

immental1200

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
Why?

Boot time are important in several respects:

1. People like to switch off the laptop to conserve battery and power use, in fact as part of many company's 'green' initiative they request their workers to switch off or hibernate their laptop/desktop where they can. A shorter boot time means switching off the computer and laptop is make such initiative more plausible.

2. Boot time is still used as a comparision on system performance, just look at the various computer/laptop forum, booting up time is still used as a basic reference to the speed of the machine.

3. One reason why people don't switch off their computers, is due to the fact that they can't stand having to wait for 1 or 2 minutes watching their computer to start up. When they switch on the computer they expect it to light up and able to start using it straight away. I keep my laptop switched on 24/7 for this very reason

It's bidet...
And he wasn't discussing flush times...

Is this not going off topic a bit...

And I completely agree with Geek-9pm - the TV works like that, why not the PC.
What about toilets! When you flush them, you have to wait until it's ready to accept- err... "new input"

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 10:46:22 AM »
I turn on my laptop first, them go to the bathroom for a quick job. When I come back the laptop is ready.Most of the time. Some days I am quicker.

Bit if I had 1 TB on the laptop, would it be faster?  ;D

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »
HP included HP quickweb in the probook 4530s and above, which is essentially a very simplified linux distro that powers on "within seconds."

For example you are in a hurry to check your email in starbucks and just want the internet browser without undergoing the cumbersome process of booting windows, just hit the quickweb button and what is essentially a "beautified" version of D**n Small Linux boots from a small (512 MB from personal experience) partition on your hard drive.

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/hho/us/en/pclc/articles/quickweb.html
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

immental1200

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »
It would be faster IF you are low on disk space, and if it was a faster spin speed than your old drive. e.g. if old drive was 5400RPM and new is 7200RPM it will be faster.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »
D**n Small Linux

Did you really have to asterisk out the middle two letters of "*censored*"? This is 2011, not 1811.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »
I had pretty nasty experiences on other "family-friendly" forums with the word in question, and as some have noticed my previous trangressions of conduct here in this forum, I have already had a second warning... and I do not want to use my last warning up.

It would be faster IF you are low on disk space, and if it was a faster spin speed than your old drive. e.g. if old drive was 5400RPM and new is 7200RPM it will be faster.
I totally agree with the RPM part-there is a noticeable difference (up to 21 sec-measured with a stopwatch ;D ) booting ubuntu on a fujitsu MHV 5400 RPM drive (2004) versus a Fujitsu MHZ drive(2008). both are 2.5 in. SATA drives primarily used for laptops.

If you are low on disk space, why would windows boot faster....? ???

Consumers are drawn to tablet devices, because of their speed. The iPad, as said above, has this mystique to it-it has all your data at hand and provides an admittedly convenient way to access them-you want a stripped down version of the office suite to work on the go? No problem, with DocsToGo. You want a photo-editing suite similar to GIMP? No Problem-Sketchbook Pro. They want instant standby and instant recover. Plus it is a known fact that those with a little more cash to spend go for such devices-Apple has its own niche.  (I don't have an iPad nor am I ever expecting to have anything similar to the iPad within 10 years.) I have digressed too much.

With hard drives (with magnetic spindle), I think it all boils down to RPM and disk space, which will both get cheaper in the future.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
Daam Small Linux fits on a USB stick very nicely.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 12:42:05 PM »
Daam

Have you had a warning too? (rolls eyes)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »
1. People like to switch off the laptop to conserve battery and power use, in fact as part of many company's 'green' initiative they request their workers to switch off or hibernate their laptop/desktop where they can. A shorter boot time means switching off the computer and laptop is make such initiative more plausible.
You're speaking for a lot of "people" there. I'm sure people do. Don't get me started on how inconsequential a computer's power consumption is to any "green" initiative, especially while said company has Air conditioning running 24/7.

2. Boot time is still used as a comparision on system performance, just look at the various computer/laptop forum, booting up time is still used as a basic reference to the speed of the machine.
Appeal to tradition and ad populum fallacy. Just because people are using it as a metric doesn't make it a valid one.

3. One reason why people don't switch off their computers, is due to the fact that they can't stand having to wait for 1 or 2 minutes watching their computer to start up.
Again, you speak for a number of people whose choices you couldn't possibly have insight into. Additionally, 1 to 2 minutes isn't a long time, and even the most computer-bound worker is going to have paperwork, or an empty cup of coffee that needs refilling. A Toaster takes a minute or two to toast but you don't have people performing benchmarks of toasters to find which one toasts the fastest; you plop the bread in the toaster, and do something else until it pops up. Why is this so difficult with a laptop or desktop?
When they switch on the computer they expect it to light up and able to start using it straight away.
When did you become psychic? I Doubt very many people expect this.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

immental1200

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 01:21:09 PM »
Its what I expect... using and SSD over a more traditional drive makes applications open faster as well. Look in my specs for example... i use ONLY SSD's and 10,00 RPM Server HDD's in my main system. All my servers around the place also have 10k drives in them, the speed is mush faster, and my 1gb / s networking is fully used when combined with these drives.