Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compatibility question  (Read 5074 times)

drwily79

Compatibility question
« on: June 29, 2004, 03:33:42 PM »
I currently have a Sony PC RS-210 with a pentium4 2.4 processor. I want to upgrade the motherboard and case so that I can use agp 8x video cards and pc 3200 ram. My question is if a motherboard says it has Hyperthreading Technology but my processor doesnt (Im pretty sure at least after much searching without any luck) will the processor work ok on that motherboard? The asus boards are very nice but to use agp 8x and pc 3200 ram ive gotta go with HT mobos. Any help on this is much appreciated.

Raptor

Re: Compatibility question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 03:42:45 PM »
he asus boards are very nice but to use agp 8x and pc 3200 ram ive gotta go with HT mobos.

Why do you think you require Hyper Threading technology to use 8x AGP cards? I have a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro that does not support Hyper Threading and yet, it can handle 8X AGP cards.

To answer your question: Unless your mainboard does not support your older CPU, it should work. If you wish to be 100% sure you should contact the manufacturer of your new board's technical-support.

drwily79

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 03:48:42 PM »
Im sorry if I wasnt clear on that raptor. It wasnt that I thought you HAVE to have hyper threading to run agp 8x, I just want a mobo that does have 8x. My poor pc only has PCI......sad really. I just wanted to make sure my processor will work on a board that has HT even though  the processor itself doesnt.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 04:16:22 PM »
Mainboards supporting Intel chipsets are the only mainboards that come with Hyper Threading technology. Not all of them, though, it is usually printed on the box.

However, be careful, it may be printed on the box, but some boxes will also have printed on them that 'not all of the features printed on the box apply to the mainboard' refer to the manual in order to find out.

I may not be accurate, if you really wish to find out more about Hyper Threading technology or compatability I definitely suggest that you contact Intel technical-support or search through their website.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 04:19:59 PM by Raptor »