Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless signal keeps fluctuating  (Read 6541 times)

Ecardius

Wireless signal keeps fluctuating
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »
Hello,

I am writing because my wireless n network is now acting bizarre! Starting yesterday my network speed has been jumping from its normal rate 144.0 mbps all the way down to 6.5 mbps.  The equipment I have is a Wireless N E2000 Linksys router and a Wireless N USB Thumb Drive AE1000. I tried upgrading to the most recent firmware on the Linksys website but that hasn't helped me either. I haven't added anything to my network nor changed any settings to provoke this problem. My only guess is that a nearby router in the condo complex I live is disrupting my network?

Is there a way to change my frequency or something? To one that most peoples routers probably would be on?  Sorry if that sounds nooby im just really amateur when it comes to networking.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Wireless signal keeps fluctuating
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:29:15 AM »
Somme research shows many people do not believe in global warming. Yet these same people will believe the advertisements for Wireless N routers.
The fact is, wireless N rooters can not guarantee the speed of your connections. That is a little known factoid.
Still, you can log into your rooter and change the default frequency. There are 11 choices n North America and parts of Europe. The overlap, so going up or down by one may not help much.
Your PC will find the new frequency after a bit. and then remember it.
---
EDIT. Yes that is rather negative remark.  Here is the basis for my dim viewpoint:
http://www.eetimes.com/design/microwave-rf-design/4019005/The-future-of-wireless-networks-understanding-802-11n
The article is three years old and things have not really got much netter.
The answer is to have two or more wireless AP units in your network to improve coverage. An economical router can be used as a AP if  it is indoors.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:44:52 AM by Geek-9pm »

Ecardius

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »
Well when something goes from being 140mbps for a year straight to 6mbps there is something drastically wrong. Would one of the large CME's from the sun be a contender to the possible problem? We have had quite alot of solar activity lately.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »
Multipath reference.**

That is possible. In general, problems with Ei-Fi are related to materials in the signal path and less often interference form other electronic devices.
However, just making a guess does not help solve the problem.
You may enjoy reading this:
20 Myths of Wi-Fi Interference
Conclusion
There are many myths about the obstacles to high-performing and reliable WLAN services. A misunderstanding of the nature Wi-Fi interference underlies many of these myths, as does the belief that better visibility into RF spectrum is a difficult and costly proposition. In fact, the idea that RF spectrum visibility is prohibitively difficult and expensive to achieve may be the most malicious myth of all.

I concur with that last point. You just can not generalize the issues. Modern technology now does things that before wee near impossible. Spread-Spectrum and Multipath are scientific disciplines in UHF communication.
** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_propagation

In your case, it is possible that your equipment has degraded. It happens. More often than one would think. I suggest you investigate this by use of new devices. They do not have to be expensive.

Ecardius

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:25:02 AM »
Thanks for the myth site.  I feel it is somewhat correct however I did what it said wont help and switched to the 5ghz frequency for my router and now im hitting between 300mbps : 243mbps. I found a nice little program called "insidder" which displays detailed information about other 802.11 networks in the area (there are indeed many around me), I live in a condo complex. I noticed when I checked the 5ghz tab in the program it only displayed one so I changed my router settings to 5ghz. 

Thanks for you input on my problem it seems relatively solved :)

fyi to get the insidder program to display results you need a plug in called Chanalyzer (its an .msi file)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
Thank you for sharing that. Apparently many of you neighbors have recently went wireless. Many others say the tool you found relay helps. Have not tried it myself.

Chanalyzer 3. Chanalyzer 3 is the accompanying spectrum analysis software to your Wi-Spy 2.4x, Wi-Spy DBx or Wi-Spy 900x. It tracks the real-time RF activity …
 www.metageek.net/products/chanalyzer-3     

Download Chanalyzer - Turn Wi-Spy data into interactive charts and graphs
www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Network-IP-Scanner/​Chanalyzer.shtml