Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new hardware new problems  (Read 5558 times)

Tim

new hardware new problems
« on: June 29, 2004, 05:58:54 PM »
i just upgraded my AMD K6-2 350mhz to a 500mhz and now my computer wont get past the windows loading screen. The bios only detects it as a 400mhz processor and when my computer finally does get past the boot screen I go into dxdiag and it says its a 450mhz processor?
The processor was pulled out of a working computer so it must be still good.
When I installed it I was playing around with the jumpers that it says in my manual to try to get it to say 500mhz on the bios screen but I had no luck no matter what combination I tried.
Is this problem caused by overclocking or underclocking?

Joleen

Re: new hardware new problems
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 05:28:06 AM »
Try re-seating your video card or testing with a different one.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 06:20:26 AM »
Perhaps the processor is not compatible with your current mainboard.

Or your system BUS needs to be higher, however, I believe that is called 'overclocking'.

My maximum System Bus is 200, when I reset my BIOS it dropped to 133 and my processor would only function as a 1250Mhz, so I set it to 166 and it went back to 2100Mhz.

I am not very knowledge able concerning these things.

merlin

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 01:49:32 PM »
is this why The AMD K6-2+ processors are Mobile Processors designed to use in the laptops. Our products are not designed to support any Mobile Processors; therefore, does not support AMD K6-2+ CPUs

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 02:28:01 PM »
Our?

Tim

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 06:22:12 PM »
I think my computer needs warming up in the mornings,
After I woke up this morning I turned the computer on and it froze on the bios screen then I reset and it froze on the win98 screen then I reset again and it booted up fully. Now I can reset it as many times as I wish and it wont freeze, but it really only freezes when I first turn it on in the morning.
The 350mhz I had in it worked perfectly but I had to upgrade to the 500mhz so I could play this new game I downloaded.
I reset the cmos to see if it fixed it but that didnt do anything, then I rest bios defaults but nothing.
Any suggestions?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 04:13:36 AM »
I suggest you read Merlin his post.

merlin

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 04:41:47 PM »
where did you get this cpu from...and the last post was  a snip from amd.....