Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best Way To Backup PC  (Read 23208 times)

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Re: Best Way To Backup PC
    « Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
    NovaBackup actually got better reviews than trueimage...unlike acronis, it has virus scanning protection.  Just how big a deal is virus scan for backing up?  Critical?

Oh, and my EHD I use is a 4 year old version on Seagate, I wonder if then I will get their free remote off site backup?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »

Nova Backup actually got better reviews than trueimage...unlike acronis, it has virus scanning protection.  Just how big a deal is virus scan for backing up?  Critical?

No, not critical.
    Better than?
    Drinking water from a muddy river is better than from the ocean.
    Nova Backup got wimpy review from By Edward Mendelson three years ago. Did they really fix it?
    Read this:
    "Doesn't work as expected"
    September 19, 2011  |   By nealf01
    Version: NovaBackup Professional 12.0.10
    Pros
    The user interface appears pretty good. I like the idea of being able to copy or backup files. It appeared to at least execute the actions on the right schedule.
    Cons
    It doesn't work right. I paid for it unfortunately and have to have a successful backup or copy action performed. I consistently get errors saying 'Access denied, cannot copy XXX file' which is garbage.
    Read more: NovaBackup Professional - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/NovaBackup-Professional/3000-2242_4-10349.html#rateit#ixzz1bMoQfAWW
    Of course that is just one man's bad experience. All products have out-of-the-box disasters.
    And on-line backup is only useful for some limited scenarios. With local backup I can do over 60 GB in under an hour. Using Macrium.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #32 on: October 20, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
    I tested it ...probably 7 months ago.
    Since it's not on my machine currently you can reach your own conclusions...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jetbravv

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
    thanks for the tips guys!

michelsmith

Beginner

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 01:03:50 AM »
      My hard drive crashed and I lost all my family photos and precious data. Thankfully I had my computer backed up online with MyPCBackup and I was able to quickly recover everything.

Mark_Brown11

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 08:09:32 AM »
        If you only have one hard disk, you should invest in a USB hard disk that you can plug in and use to store your backups. It's best to dedicate that drive for backups, so that your backup files don't accidentally get deleted, corrupted or infected. That is, plug in the USB drive only when you make a backup or when you have to restore from that backup.

Unplug the drive when you are using the computer normally.

Link Removed.
        « Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:29:52 AM by patio »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »
        This topic should be closed by now.
        There is a type of hard drive installation that is popular with many commercial uses and some home users. It sis is called RAID.

RAID is too much to cover in this thread. But the OP may wish to investigate it. The cost of doing RAID, is some chases, is not much more than  a god backup system.
        Beginners Guides: Installing RAID on a Desktop PC

Mark_Brown11

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 12:26:41 AM »

If you only have one hard disk, you should invest in a USB hard disk that you can plug in and use to store your backups. It's best to dedicate that drive for backups, so that your backup files don't accidentally get deleted, corrupted or infected. That is, plug in the USB drive only when you make a backup or when you have to restore from that backup.

Unplug the drive when you are using the computer normally.

Link removed again

Topic Closed.
          « Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:30:45 AM by patio »