Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 3rd hard drive or replace hd  (Read 12591 times)

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
3rd hard drive or replace hd
« on: July 03, 2011, 11:15:45 AM »
Hello everyone.  I have a 500 gb hd i want to install in my pc but am unsure if I can just add it along woth the other 2 or if I have to get rid of one to add this one.  If I do need to swap one out for the 500gb I am also not clean on how I save all the data or transfer the data.  I am still a newb with pc's so thank you for the advice.

pc specs
Intel core 2 duo e6300, ddr2 2048 mbytes, GeForce 8400gs, not sure what else I need to add here so just let me know and I will try and find it. 

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: 3rd hard drive or replace hd
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 11:20:50 AM »
It depends on whether or no there is an open slot. Check to see if your system supports three hd's.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »
pc specs
Intel core 2 duo e6300, ddr2 2048 mbytes, GeForce 8400gs, not sure what else I need to add here so just let me know and I will try and find it.
Not enough info.  Provide make & model number of computer.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »

pc specs
What motherboard?

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »
With Cupid cpu-z under mainboard info, Intel model DG965WH, Chipset p965/g965, southbridge is 82801HH, and Lpcio is NS PC8374L.  Hard drive I want to add is a western digital 500 gb sata 300.  Hope this is the right info.  Thank you again for the help.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »
The documentation I found for that board on Intel Support is HERE

Enhanced IDE Interface
The desktop board’s IDE interface handles the exchange of information between the
processor and peripheral devices such as hard disk drives and CD-ROM drives. The
interface supports:
• Up to two IDE devices (such as hard drives)
• ATAPI-style devices (such as CD-ROM drives)
• Older PIO Mode devices
• Ultra DMA-33 and ATA-66/100 protocols
Serial ATA
The desktop board supports six Serial ATA channels (3.0 Gb/s) via ICH8, connecting
one device per channel.

From what I understand from this info, I see no reason why you cannot use 3 hard drives as long as one or more are SATA interface ( It shows support for 2 IDE devices only)  I'm no expert. Just trying to help. I'd wait for one of the more experienced members to confirm this before making a HD purchased

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
Coolness, thank you Lectrocrew.  Sorry everyone for the long delays in responses, work has been kicking the crap outta me.  I guess my next question is how do I add the hard drive.  I believe I can physically install it to the cpu but what worries me is what do I do after that, program wise?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »
    There are many sites on the web that will assist you with your HDD installation. One of your 1st decisions will need to be as to whether you will install a SATA HDD or an IDE drive. Lectrocrew has pointed you in a direction of a clue towards that decision "( It shows support for 2 IDE devices only) ". Therefore if the "new" drive becomes an addition you will need to determine if you have any IDE cable connections remaining now (i doubt it). I am including a link to a site i looked at that seems to do a fairly good job of explaining the process for both SATA and IDE drives. If you run into trouble or confusion you need but ask here and we will help you. For your consideration an external USB connectable HDD may also serve your need. They are almost as cheap these days as an internal. They offer both advantages and some disadvantages over internal. In my opinion the advantages far outweigh any disadvantages. truenorth
    http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/magnetic_drives/magnetic_drives.htm

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 04:58:30 PM »
    I have a WD sata 500gb i want to install.  If I cannot add a 3rd hd to my cpu how do i transfer the info to the new hd.  Sorry about all the newbie questions, I get confussed easily with this stuff.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
      I guess i would ask what is your fondest wish-- to install a 3rd HDD and have all the additional HDD capacity? Or to remove an existing HDD and "replace it" with your WD? Using the guide i sent you via my last post to help your with your choice (as it seems that you can install a 3rd). Open your case (ensuring ALL power is disconnected to the computer) and briefly touching the case to allow for electric discharge--see how many SATA connections on the motherboard are there and if any are still unoccupied. From there you will know what you can and cannot do. If your most fervent wish is to remove and replace an existing HDD (or that becomes your only option) then we can provide you with the things that you will need to do to transfer your data from the drive to be removed to the one to be installed. But let us hear from you 1st as to which way you are going to proceed based on your assessment of your ability to add a 3rd HDD (unless you are now desiring to remove that option).truenorth
      P.S. You will undoubtedly have to purchase a SATA cable (very inexpensive) as usually the drives do not come with a cable.

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
      Looking at the mother board and where my other 2 hard drives are connected, there seems to be 2 more sata slots parallel to the 2 that are connected.  Does this sound right or are those 2 slots something else?  I would like most to add a 3rd hd for just storage space.  The Western Digital came with a blue sata cord that fit into one of the sata ports.  Can I use this to connect the hd to motherboard?  Then I only have to attach the cable from the power source?  But when I look at my old hd's that are connected they both have the same power source passing through it and I don't see a third connection.  Thank you and I apologize for all the newbie questions.
      « Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:03:28 PM by washingmachine »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »
        Well you can now proceed with your 3rd HDD installation. The physical side will be the easiest. The data transfer will also be relatively easy (particularly since the new and the drive from which the data is to be transfered are in the same computer). There will probably be a need to activate the motherboard SATA port via the BIOS to enable it's recognition. I am including another web link for the installation (as if it were a 2nd) but the process is identical. Please read it and as you progress ask any questions that you need to complete your task. It is all very easy and quite straight forward.
        http://www.pcmech.com/article/installing-a-hard-drive-step-by-step/
        P.S this article covers both IDE and SATA so pay attention as there are some differences. You do seem to have the proper SATA cable. What is the situation re a power cable?

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »
        Sweets, thanks truenorth.  The info you posted was very helpful.  I just want to make sure I have this right...  I can buy a Power cable Y-splitter to connect to one of the open cables that are not being used out of the power supply and this will power the hd?  This along with following the step-by-step instructions on how to install a third hd and I should be good to go.  Thanks again, when work slows down I look forward to having space on the cpu again.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:36 PM »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
          You are very welcome ==glad to have been of help. When you get to the data transfer stage if you have questions come back and we will help if you feel you need it. truenorth
          P.S Computer Commando has provided you with excellent pictures for your power supply needs. The one with the one white lead and two black connectors is to allow you to have 2 SATA power outlets available from the one white lead plugged into your existing power supply available (unused) connectors in the computer. The other is the same except it only provides one SATA power connector. Either will do the job for you. If you foresee that you might someday want to add another SATA device the one with the 2 will keep that available for you.