Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows XP/ME help  (Read 11709 times)

rufusta2

windows XP/ME help
« on: August 27, 2005, 10:13:21 PM »
My computer too small for XP to run at its best, not able to buy new one at this time.  How can I install ME w/out losing everything on my hard drive?

Computer only has 91MB RAM.  It runs but it is very slow and at times will lockup or just shut itself down.

Mac

Re: windows XP/ME help
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 05:10:17 AM »
What are the other specifications Connie, Processor, hard drive size, make and model of computer?

The quickest way to improve performance is to add more RAM.

Install Everest Home Edition Computer Diagnostic Program then you can find out a lot more about your computer including the mainboard model and just how much RAM you could fit.

91 MB of RAM is a bit low even for ME, but would be good for Windows '98se.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 06:17:31 AM »
My computer too small for XP to run at its best, not able to buy new one at this time.  How can I install ME w/out losing everything on my hard drive?

Computer only has 91MB RAM.  It runs but it is very slow and at times will lockup or just shut itself down.

The computer may be very dusty inside and overheating often.

What are its full specifications and what OS is installed now?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 12:49:18 PM »
Hello, Connie.

Do your memory "RAM sticks" fit in white sockets like this:

or in brown sockets like this:

If white, then your system uses SIMMs (Single Inline Memory Modules) and there is a good chance that you may not be able to add more memory, as all of the slots are likely full.  If brown, then your system uses DIMMs (Dual Inline Memory Modules) and you will likely be able to increase your total memory by purchasing another DIMM or two.  Windows XP needs at least 128 MB to run properly, twice that if you have a high-speed Internet connection, play games, or work with a lot of graphics or photos.

To answer your question, how to get Windows Me back depends on how Windows XP was installed.  

Please let us know what file system is used, so we may help you further:

1. Click Start > My Computer.
2. Right click Local Disk (C:) and choose Properties from the context menu.
3. In the Properties dialog box, select the General tab.
4. You will see Type is shown as Local Disk.  Under that, you will see the File System.  Let us know what the files system is.

Regards,
Doc

« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 12:51:55 PM by pcdoc4christ »

rufusta2

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 06:46:04 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has reponded.  My system is NTFS, only has 4GB hard drive, 91MB RAM.  Used to have 98 SE on it, until it just quit working.  Was told by Microsoft that they stopped support on 98 SE.  Tried ME but couldn't get it to detect my monitor, speakers or modem.  I can do alot right now, but when I'm online it stops responding or when I have too much going at one time.  I plan on just buying a new one and giving my kids this one.

All I need to know is can I save things, like my email messages, but install older OS, or do I have to just start from scratch?

rufusta2

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »
Sorry, forgot to mention I am running XP right now.

rufusta2

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 07:12:12 PM »
It is a Compaq Presario, an older one.  It is a desktop, not a laptop.  I know I need to add more mem, but have decided to buy new one from my Internet Provider.  They build very reasonable priced ones, much better than this one.  My kids can upgrade the mem. after they get it.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 07:16:19 PM »
save the hard drive if you wish to but another pc but .....it maybe old but still upgradeable.......visit hp website.........you never know you may save bucks...in exchange/swap......

rufusta2

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 08:16:05 PM »
Thanks Merlin.  I am sure I could upgrade this myself, but here are the specs for the one I am looking at.  Let me know if this seems like a good computer.  Will cost $359, $309 if I use my own XP OS.

New Computer System: Value - New AMD Sempron 2300+ CPU 384k-Cache, 256MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive ATA133 7200RPM, 3D Video up to 64MB, AGP8x slot, 52x CD Burner/Player with easy software, 56k Modem, Optical Laser Mouse 3 button and scroll wheel, Keyboard, Stereo Speakers, 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 PCI slots, Network/DSL port, Surge Protector with modem protection, Windows XP Home, Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware Software, Web Browser, E-Mail, instant messaging (ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, IRC), Internet Telephone & Voice Chat software with microphone, Office XP compatible software, budget/check management, games, etc.  Easy System Restore CD.  Lifetime Labor Warranty* on part replacement for as long as you remain an iPro/iClub Member.  Parts Warranties* up to 3 years by respective parts manufacturers.  Test drive this PC today at our downtown Richmond office.
{upgrades: RAM: 512MB +$34 or 768MB +$79 or 1GB +$109, Floppy Drive +$9, CD Burner/DVD Player +14, DVD/CD Burner/Player with dvd copy software +$29, DVD/CD Burner/Player with "DVD+R DL"(double size disc) support and dvd copy software +$49, 3D Video for gaming ATI RADEON 9250 chipset 128MB AGP8x +$59, 3D Video for high-end gaming (like Doom3) ATI RADEON 9550 chipset 128MB full-DX9 AGP8x +$79, Subwoofer +$9, others above, reduce price by $50 if you bring your own windows xp}

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 08:18:18 PM »
still keep the old pc..........is may come use one day. ;)

rufusta2

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 09:09:05 PM »
Thanks Merlin.  I plan on giving it to my kids.  Does the new one sound like a good deal or is that too much?  I don't know alot about buying computers.  I just mainly have gimme computers.

Mac

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 09:51:28 AM »
Cost $359, $309 if I use my own XP OS.

New Computer System:

New AMD Sempron 2300+ CPU 384k-Cache
256MB RAM
80GB Hard Drive ATA133 7200RPM
3D Video up to 64MB
AGP8x slot
52x CD Burner/Player with easy software
56k Modem
Optical Laser Mouse 3 button and scroll wheel
Keyboard
Stereo Speakers
6 USB 2.0 ports
2 PCI slots
Network/DSL port

Surge Protector with modem protection

Windows XP Home, Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware Software, Web Browser, E-Mail, instant messaging (ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, IRC), Internet Telephone & Voice Chat software with microphone, Office XP compatible software, budget/check management, games, etc.  Easy System Restore CD.  Lifetime Labor Warranty* on part replacement for as long as you remain an iPro/iClub Member.  Parts Warranties* up to 3 years by respective parts manufacturers.  Test drive this PC today at our downtown Richmond office.

Upgrades:

RAM: 512MB +$34 or 768MB +$79 or 1GB +$109
Floppy Drive +$9

CD Burner/DVD Player +$14
DVD/CD Burner/Player with dvd copy software +$29
DVD/CD Burner/Player with "DVD+R DL"(double size disc) support and dvd copy software +$49

3D Video for gaming ATI RADEON 9250 chipset 128MB AGP8x +$59

3D Video for high-end gaming (like Doom3) ATI RADEON 9550 chipset 128MB full-DX9 AGP8x +$79

Subwoofer +$9

Others above, reduce price by $50 if you bring your own windows XP

Looks like good value for money. Didn't mention a monitor I see.

You should definitely opt to have the floppy drive as there are a number of recovery tips you can use from a floppy drive which you can't do without one. $9

As much RAM as you can afford really. Certainly go up to 512 MB which is the - practical - minimum for XP.

What do you want to do when it comes to CD-R or DVD+R?

If you want to do work on DVDs and opt for the DVD double layer burner then you should also consider going up to 1024 MB of RAM.

Redmond, Seattle I suppose?

Are you interested in Windows Vista at a later date?

What about gaming/graphics, etc. Might as well take a better video card with 128 MB video memory.

What do you plan on doing for a monitor? 19" flatpanel.

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 09:53:13 AM »
I wouldn't quite bother playing games on a Sempron +2300. Especially not Doom 3.

Mac

Re: Windows XP/ME help
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 10:24:21 AM »
I still prefer Intel Processors. Especially after seeing film of AMDs going up in smoke.

rufusta2

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 07:32:26 PM »
Well, ya'll lost me back there somewhere.  Don't really know the difference between an Intel or AMD, or what Sempron +2300 is.  All I do know is that what I have now is too slow for me and I go w/Macs opinion that the one I'm looking at seems like a good deal.  I am what you would call a self-taught computer user.  It doesn't come easy or natural to me.
Do plan on opting for the 512MB but not the DVD-R.  Will probably use my old monitor, Gateway 2000 Vivatron 15 until am ready to buy a flat screen.  Don't know what Windows Vista is.  Not sure what you mean by Redmond, Seattle??  If it is where this computer is located it is in Richmond Ky.  The Internet Club, my provider.
Thanks for the input.  I look to you experts to help the less fortunate-barely-computer-literate world.