Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinCE for Navigator. Whats That?  (Read 3168 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    WinCE for Navigator. Whats That?
    « on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »
    I have a navigator that I purchased from Aldi, in Australia. (and to be honest) it would be the best investment I have ever made.

My problem though is, that I have had it for 4 years now and obviously the mapping data is out of date.

Now I really like this unit because it lasts for 7 hours on one charge, the directions are spot on, nice voice, it is pocket size and has a pouch made specifically for it.
    So far I have bought three other NEW GPS systems and didnt like any of them., so I sold them on to someone else.

My GPS is a Tevion or Medion Brand PNA315. It must have the mapping data in the unit because the SD card is an external unit that has only my music files on it.

I have searched a lot of GPS sites to get map updates (and the official Medion Site) but have not been succesful in updating the maps to 2011.

During my search, I read about WinCE mapping or data compatable maps, but I have no understanding of what this all means.

Can someone please help me to update the maps on my old GPS system?

Thyank you ImnoGuru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

truenorth

Guru

Re: WinCE for Navigator. Whats That?
      « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:45:55 AM »
      Many people seem to be experiencing a similar problem with updating this brand of GPS device. It seems that Aldi kinda cornered the sales market on them . Here is a link to a solution (but looks like a different model) that may have a solution for you within it. good luck,truenorth
      http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7938

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:23:02 AM »
        Thanks truenorth for your link. I have scoured pages and pages of forums and the like for info on getting map updates. I dont even mind paying for them if they are really up to date.

I know it is a lot cheaper to just get another one, but this one is SENSATIONAL by comparison to all the new ones.

There's a lot of reading in there, so I'll troll through a few hundred or so more pages and see if it is possible.

Just reading briefly through the first page it identifies winCE 6 and my navigator is CE 5 which is (apparently) more compatible with XP, which is what I use mostly out of my desktops.

I wonder if I can take a back up of the original before I jump in boots and all with this?
        It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:29:42 AM »
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:44:59 AM »
          Wow thanks patio, that is exactly my model.

I would truly just buy a new one with todays maps if I could find this unit for sale with 2011 maps. I'll scour this site and see what bounty it brings. :D

Imho they are the best unit i have ever used and address all the requirements that suit me for navigating in Australia.( They do have some drawbacks though, such as the thickness of the unit, but I can live with that for now.)

Mind you of course, I dont have an Iphone or a HTC or similar either.

I am certain there are lots of better units, phones, call plans that provide a phone and all sorts of other ways to update.

It has cost me a small fortune buying one, not being happy with it and selling it on to someone else and committing to another for the same result.
          I think I am up to my ninth purchase of new products, so I decided to stick to this one.

Thanks for your assistance.  :)

Baby steps for this budding techy.