Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't start up.  (Read 3370 times)

lakerzz8

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • The College Couponers
  • Experience: Experienced
Computer won't start up.
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »
My parents have a 5+ year old HP desktop (might be closer to 10 years old, actually).  It has Windows XP sp3, 2gb of ram, and around an 80gb hard drive.  I believe they have Mcafee AV.  Yesterday my dad was surfing the internet when the AV told him it discovered some viruses and it deleted them.  Today, however, when we went to turn on the computer, it would not start up.  The computer goes through the initial diagnostics, very quickly, and then goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor.  It doesn't move from there. 

I've already used a Linux live CD and everything from the CD worked fine.  I was able to connect to the internet, the monitor displayed everything fine, etc.  I was even able to mount my hard drive and view the files on it.  So it doesn't seem to be a problem with the RAM, video card, hard drive.

I've used the Windows Recovery Console and had it write a new boot sector. However, when I tried to get it to give me a new master boot record, it warned me that this may leave my partitions inaccessible so I did not go along with that.

I've tried using a program called ERD Commander 5, which allowed me to do a minimal system restore, but that did not fix the problem. I also used the program to scan system files for corruption but it did not find any.

Any suggestions on what I can try further, save for a fresh install of Windows or something else that will wipe my data and programs, is greatly appreciated.

johnkon32

Rookie

• Knowledge is the key to success.
    • Yes
    • Advanced Java
  • Computer: Specs
Re: Computer won't start up.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Well, that's not a hardware related issue since your Linux Distro is working perfectly on your computer. So, I bet that some startup files were infected, then McAfee deleted them but these were vital for Windows to boot and now they are missing.

Use the Live CD to back up all your important files to an external HDD or a Flash Drive, just in case. Did you try to insert your Windows CD/DVD and attempt to repair your Windows installation?

lakerzz8

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • The College Couponers
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 02:13:35 PM »
I don't have a real Windows installation CD, I just have one I made myself previously from the computer's i386 file.  I'm not really sure what to do from the command prompt with it.  I have a set of 2 DVDs titled HP System Recovery but it says it will restore the operating system and all applications to their original state but would leave data alone.  I was hoping to fix this with everything in tact but that probably won't happen.  I can use my laptop to store a backup of the hard drive from the desktop.  However, if some files are still infected, would copying them over on to my laptop cause the virus to spread?

johnkon32

Rookie

• Knowledge is the key to success.
    • Yes
    • Advanced Java
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
If you copy files that are already infected, then it will. There are anti-virus apps for Linux as well, so that you can scan your computer while you are using the Live CD. Re-formatting your hard drive by using the Restore Disc (after you get backup) wouldn't sound that bad however.

Also, you can give "Trinity Rescue Kit" a try. It's a Linux Live CD with many apps (including Anti-Viruses) that will help you repair your Windows Installation. See http://trinityhome.org/

lakerzz8

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • The College Couponers
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:57:31 PM »
I've been using Trinity Rescue Kit, actually.  It found more viruses and it said it quarantined them but then I think it deleted them.  I was stupid and didn't save a list of the files but I believe some were system files from the windows/system32 folder.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 02:39:37 AM »
I've been using Trinity Rescue Kit, actually.  It found more viruses and it said it quarantined them but then I think it deleted them.  I was stupid and didn't save a list of the files but I believe some were system files from the windows/system32 folder.

Then that's likely why you can't boot. Backup anything important, format, and reinstall Windows. Scan your backed up files as well. I'd recommend doing this over a repair install because the repair install will not eliminate any remaining viruses.

lakerzz8

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • The College Couponers
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond but I've been busy these past few days.  I ran another Trinity Rescue Kit virus scan and this time it found no viruses.  However, the computer was still not starting up.  I decided to backup the files I needed and used the HP System Recovery DVDs to do a full system recovery and restore everything back to the computer's out of the box state.  That worked, the computer started up again and I felt like it was 2003 again!  I used PCdecrapifier and ccleaner to get rid of all the junk I didn't need, installed an AV, and got the backed up files back on the computer.  I ran a full antivirus scan and it just came up with one tracking cookie and nothing else.  I've got my files, the computer works, and I'm slowly working on getting all my programs back.  Thanks to everyone who spent their time trying to help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »
Couldn't have been better news...glad you followed a backup procedure before wiping...
You have no idea how many Tales of woe we see here from people that don't know it wipes the HDD and all data...
Congrats !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "