Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opera help: Where do I locate Browser JavaScript setting  (Read 7446 times)

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Opera help: Where do I locate Browser JavaScript setting
    « on: July 15, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
    I am trying out Opera and so far I just love it. Version 11.50 and it is FAST!!! I need to apply a patch to JavaScript to correct improper loading of 2 sites I use daily.
    Incase you want to try them out in your Opera, they are
    www.Webkinzinsider.com
    http://kinzcommunity.com/index.php
    I tried everything I could find and finally started digging in the help forum of Opera and found what I think is the solution but I do not know where to find 'Browser JavaScript setting' to add the patch.
    Here is the info I found...
    http://www.opera.com/docs/browserjs/#fixDisabled

DUH :-[ ;DI found it, so easy, just clicked on the blue. Sometimes I feel so dumb. I am so cautious about clicking on anything these days. I just hope this works.

Hmmmm, this did not solve the problem. I do need help setting up Opera.
    « Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:21:17 PM by pattybrew »

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      Re: Opera help:
      « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:15:43 PM »
      I had hoped that with so many Opera users here that I would get some help but it seems not to be. I have narrowed my problems down to a Java problem. I have used IE and FF for years and never had to set java, I just did not tic any of the boxes other than the use java one. In Opera I am required to set it manually and I am not doing a good job of that. So I am back to FF and IE and using Opera for only those times when I need a very fast browser.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        Opera help with Java
        « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »

..I  hope that with so many Opera users here that I will get some help. I have narrowed my problems down to a Java problem. I uninstalled Opera this morning and did a clean install and just stayed with the simple layout. Did not add any ad-ons or features. Kept it very clean.  I have used IE and FF for years and never had to set java, I just did not tic any of the boxes other than the  java one. In Opera I am required to set it manually and I am not doing a good job of that. So I am back to FF and IE and using Opera for only those times when I need a very fast browser.
        If you Opera user care to instruct me on setting the Java I would really appreciate it.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        Re: Opera help: Where do I locate Browser JavaScript setting
        « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »
        Those sites load fine for me.

Are you talking about JavaScript or Java?

If you want to check your version of Java go here:
        www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:27:31 AM »
          I use Opera on this computer almost exclusively. I have never had to do anything specific as you suggest with regards to Java/Opera to enable access to certain web sites. I can link to the 2 you included no problem I cannot at this time relate to whether this is an issue because of your Opera version as relatively recently (when it became available) i have upgraded to version 11.55 (which is next sequentially to the version you are using). So you might want to try upgrading to that version and see if you have remaining issues with your 2 sites, truenorth

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »

Thank you Egghead. I keep Java up to date.  I get the update as soon as it comes out.  I cannot use Webkinz with an outdated one. It just doesn't run smoothly without it. Some of the games/activities don't load propperly without the updates.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:50:56 PM »

Sorry, I thought Java and JavaScript were the same.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
                It is the JavaScript Options.
                In Opera's Content+ Advanced these items are checked
                Enable animated images
                enable JavaScript
                Enable Plug-ins

JavaScript Options
                In order to get the sites to load properly I had to check Allow Scripts to detect context menu events

And also add the JavaScript file located in my Documents (User JavaScript folder)
                Do you think if I remove this folder Opera will control JavaScript? I had not thought to do that until just now.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 08:02:45 AM »
                  Is the reason all web sites take so long to load is because I keep Opera set as Default browser. I sometimes set FF as Default then change back to Opera. You guys probably think I am nutty as a fruitcake but I am just trying to figure out why Opera acts certain ways on my machine and if it has features that FF has, such as, FF saves passwords of all sites and I can't get Opera to do that.. It has saved a few but not all. I have many Webkinz accounts as well and the grandchildren's and 4 for a friend. FF saves all the passwords so that whatever acitivities I do on Webkinznewz it remembers all ID's and passwords so that I don't have to type them each time.

JJ 3000

Egghead
                  • Experience: Familiar
                  « Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
                  I've been using Opera for years and I've never had any of these problems. One of the reasons I like it so well is that is very easy to use and generally problem free.

Maybe you got a bad download. Try unistalling and download a fresh copy.
                  Save a Life!
                  Adopt a homeless pet.
                  http://www.petfinder.com/

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:09:59 PM »
                    I did that and then today downgraded from 11.50 to 11.11 version. But I will uninstall it and try again with the newest ver again. The first time i installed ver 11.50 a few days ago I was so impressed at the speed. Then I started setting it up with the appearance I wanted and the tabs and just basic setup. Following that is when it began to take several minutes if at all to load each site. Webkinz is considered a game site with a lot of activities on the same site as is Webkinznewz, activities sites for family fun.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                      « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »
                      Thank you JJ for your suggestion. I did an uninstall then set IE as Default Browser before installing Opera. I installed ver 11.50. I could not locate a ver 11.55. I think the previous install had picked up some of the inconsistancies of FF perhaps. Any who, it is running just wonderfully. I have a few sites that I cannot logout of. I think it has something to do with the popup to 'save password for this site only' and I did not tic the save box only the save for this site only. I really don't know why it won't logout but it is not a major thing. After trying it out for a while I will uninstall FF and do a clean install it to use only as a backup/as needed browser. This will enable me to leave IE totally.

soybean

Genius
                      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                      • Experience: Experienced
                      « Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 07:03:04 PM »
                      The latest version of Opera is 11.50, contrary to what truenorth said. 

Can you mention a webiste where you can't log out? 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »
                        Soybean, Thank you--i stand corrected "Version

Build
                        1074"
                        I DID just very recently upgrade and don't know why i felt it was to 11.55 (should have checked my "about" before my post. truenorth

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                          « Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
                          Even with the new install of ver 11.50, Opera was just too inconsistent for me to use. In checking the support forum several users were having the same problems I was having and a few fixes were suggested. I just did not want to spend hours or even a whole day trying to fix a browser that I am not familiar with and kept getting frustrated with. Some times it was just wonderful then the next time I used the website it was not loading completely, so I uninstalled it and am back to using IE for Webkinz and FF for everything else. FF on my machine crashes Flash when I try to use Webkinz on it.  I thin it was ver 3.o or 3.2 or 5 that I could use perfectly and fell in love with FF then with each update it got worse. I may try installing a 3. ver sometime just to see if I can use only browser for everything. Does anyone know what ver. was used around 3 years ago?
                          I appreciate everyone's help with Opera. I would like to try it again at a later date when they get all the bugs worked out of it. It may work better if I uninstall FF but I am unwilling to take that chance. FF has forgotten many of my passwords since I set Opera as Default browser. The password feature is why I like to use FF.
                          Well, Thank you all again. I will mark this thread solved.