Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LP Conversion to CD  (Read 6257 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Re: LP Conversion to CD
    « Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »
    To all of you that responded to this post (and most particularly to BC) i want to update you . Today being Sunday i proceeded (following BC's instructions) to try again to resolve my issue with the aforementioned LP album.
    Audacity -recorded-exported-burned =success  ;D.
     I don't know if many of you are familiar with this audio/video format http://matroska.org/ . I just came across it today while researching some more re Audacity. The authors claim it to be their expectation that it will become the future of audio/video formatting. IMHO unless they can convince the "player" manufacturing world to adopt it as part of their product handling i don't see that happening. The only common player that seems to be able to handle it at the moment is VLC (which pretty well relegates it to computer use only). However it is a very interesting concept. truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 11:56:45 AM »
    Have you changed you idea about 'copy protection'?
    Was the LP, in fact, no different from any others? Was it only the issue of the length? Number of tracks?
    At first is sounded like you made an amazing discovery, an LP that could not be copied digitally.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »
    At first is sounded like you made an amazing discovery, an LP that could not be copied digitally.

No LP Record can be copied "digitally", since the format is Analog.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
      Geek. To your questions:
      1. No
      2.a) It WAS in fact different as stated in the original post=for whatever unknown reason (still unknown) uniquely THAT LP could NOT be recorded via my normal program of preferred use.
      b)There was NO issue of length. You misinterpreted the 400+ .aup files as tracks on the LP. It is aprox. 39 mins in length with
      c) 11 tracks.
      3. Though NOT amazing ;as stated befuddling.
      truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 12:15:43 PM »
      No LP Record can be copied "digitally", since the format is Analog.

What I meant was that the LP would have some means of stopping the analog to digital converter from working properly.

What did you mean? Is the expression "digitally copy LP record" a misnomer? Are we arguing about word overload?
      How does my keyboard work? I press o n the keys with my analog fingers. How does it become digitizes units? On curse! my fingers are  digits? How could I not see that!

Now explain how this woks. It is impossible, cording to you.
      http://phandroid.com/2011/02/01/pentel-airpen-pocket-digitizes-your-handwritten-notes-stores-them-on-your-android/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 12:23:53 PM »
      What I meant was that the LP would have some means of stopping the analog to digital converter from working properly.
      So, why didn't you say that? Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

What did you mean? Is the expression "digitally copy LP record" a misnomer? Are we arguing about word overload?

You cannot digitally copy something that isn't digital. You can digitize it, but to "digitally copy" means to copy something that is already digital.

How does my keyboard work? I press o n the keys with my analog fingers. How does it become digitizes units?
      The interface itself is digital. You either have a key pressed, or not. And that directly corresponds to whether that circuit is closed or not. There is no need to convert the analog information of the key movement to digital, since it is inherent in the design. The only work that needs to be done is done digitally by the DAC to account for key ghosting and jumping.

Now explain how this woks. It is impossible, cording to you.
      http://phandroid.com/2011/02/01/pentel-airpen-pocket-digitizes-your-handwritten-notes-stores-them-on-your-android/
      No. That digitizes it.

Digitize is to transform one type of information (typically analog) into digital information.

digital copy means to copy something that is digital. No LP is digital and therefore you cannot digitally copy it.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »
      truenorth,
      If, indeed there is something about that vinyl that stops some programs, it is remarkable. From you own experience that did not happened before.
      It calls to a mind a problem with trying to 'phone patch' with amateur radio equipment. The bandpass of the amateur receiver was about 3500 HZ. But, at that time, the phone company would drop the connection  if there was a burst of energy at about 2500 Hz. That was the 'in band' signal to hang up.

Do you suppose the LP had some secret signal that would stop some software that has DRM in place? It would only be if the LP was made very recently. DRM is a new thing. Maybe Audacity does not obey DRM?

It is very unlikely and LP would have such a innovation that would block analog to digital conversion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 12:45:43 PM »
        While your link was interesting to read i don't believe it is applicable to the situation as my post stated the issue (other than BC's input as to the vinyl/cassette --which of course is non digital in both media). As one that has an abundance of curiosity and a quest for knowledge i would be interested if it were possible to KNOW the reason why this LP created the issue it did. However now that the problem has been resolved i shall be motoring on with my life. The one positive  (there may even be more than one) is that i now can use Audacity (albeit to a limited degree--who knows i may even get to use it more). Another tool in my toolbox of life--always a good thing. truenorth