Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acer 5742G and standby issue on winodws 7  (Read 9977 times)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Acer 5742G and standby issue on winodws 7
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:40 AM »
Mine seems to be working well.  But it's only been less than 24hrs.  CPUID Hardware Monitor is monitoring battery capacity.  Put it to sleep a few times already.  Power button flashes when asleep.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 10:25:34 AM »
Sleep and Hibernation were never really fully perfected by MS. While they work fine on most systems, either or both simply don't work properly and / or can cause major issues on others. My recommendation for desktop users (and laptop users for short term power saving) is to set the display and hd to power down after a defined period of inactivity. It works perfectly for pretty much everyone and uses zero resources.

FennecFox

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 01:39:37 AM »
Unbelievable. How is this problem so hard to understand. Klenshin has explained it in detail about 3 times and still no-one is answering the question, but instead answering with completely useless and trivial information. I too have this problem so let me explain it as clear as I can.

1. The computer is put to sleep by some method (fn-f4, closing the lid, clicking start->suspend; it doesn't matter)
2. If the laptop is not resumed within around 5 minutes, then in most cases when the power button is pressed instead of restoring the previous session it will power up for about 1-2 seconds and then instantly shutdown.
3. When the power button is pressed again, the computer will completely boot up the operating system again, losing everything from the previous session.

Notes:
  • This happens about 90% of the time but on the odd occasion it will resume the session
  • If the computer is plugged in and the power button is pressed this problem does not occur, even if it was put into standby when using battery

I too have an Acer Aspire 5742G which I purchased in December last year. Straight out of the box I installed Ubuntu Linux and whipped anything to do with Windows. Straight away this problem occurred and I could find no solution. About a month a go I installed Windows 7 Home Premium thinking that the cause of the problem was something to do with Linux, but still the problem persists. This means that the problem is not a problem with Windows and its power options.I have updated the BIOS and checked through the BIOS there is no option relating to resuming the operating system

I think I have explained myself well. Klenshin  correct me if this is not your problem. And if anyone is able to solve this problem I will be utterly thankful as it is the most annoying thing ever.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 02:07:35 AM »
Unbelievable. How is this problem so hard to understand. Klenshin has explained it in detail about 3 times and still no-one is answering the question, but instead answering with completely useless and trivial information.

As a new member, I advise you to moderate your tone. In fact, even if you had 10 squillion posts and 5 zillion thanks, the rudeness of your post would be unacceptable. Do you really think anybody reading your post, which, in essence says "You bunch of bozos, hurry up and fix my problem!", is going to be motivated to do so?

Allan is pointing in the right direction, but I suspect the problem is not at the OS level. I suspect the ACPI Implementation on the laptop is broken. You need Acer to fix it with a BIOS update. Many systems have problems with S3 suspend and resume*. This is usually caused by buggy ACPI DSDT implemented by OEMs. Unfortunately not all OEMs are dedicated enough to fix it.

* Google will help you find out about this.