Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DevMgr has 2 errors, usb's broke, cpu @100% constantly  (Read 42118 times)

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: DevMgr has 2 errors, usb's broke, cpu @100% constantly
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
OH MY MF'N GOD!!!!! After a MONTH of messing with this stupid thing, cleaning it 10 ways from Sunday and pulling out what little hair I have left, I used Process Explorer to try and kill the usb that was hogging the cpu and it would not let me, but it WILL let me suspend it and BINGO! The system idle process jumped up to sometimes being near 100% but my CPU is running normal! Ho Lee Cow man I needed that today!

Ok, so now that I can at least GET this thing to run normal, even if I have to suspend the USB everytime I boot, at least I can work on the thing. That was the biggest *censored* is it taking SOOOOOOO long to DOOOOOOOOO anything!

That other link was really helpfull CC and I really do appreciate it. So I'm off to try and uninstall the USB controller and then re-boot and see if that will bring it back to life. And btw, we DO have an HP OfficeJet 5610 as our printer, so maybe that's what caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks SO much CC!
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 04:57:23 PM »
It's more an issue of the HP printer driver/software than the printer itself.  I guess all you did was unplug the printer?  Try reinstalling the HP printer software, select only the driver & not all the other junk.

I just looked it up, it's an all-in-one.  The software is a huge resource hog.  I had one about 8 years ago, it was nothing but trouble.  Now, I have 12 year old HP LaserJet with HP network adapter, 1 printer for 3 computers.  Nothing to lockup a computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=441125#N193

There are 3 downloads:
HP Multi-Function Products Driver Bundle - Corporate Only
HP Officejet and PSC Basic Driver
HP Officejet and PSC Full Feature Software and Drivers (you don't want this one)

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »
No, the printer was never plugged in, as I unplugged it when I discovered that the usb's were not working. So now I, through the process explorer, suspend the problem usb item and at least run the pc. After that, I ran my deliquent MS updates, then updated and activated my firewall and anti-virus so I can at least surf with alittle more confidence. I then opened up device manager thinking that this would be easy. I first clicked on the top item, the USB Host COntroller. This opened up the warning window and I clicked ok, then waited about 5 minutes and figured this was too long, and checked it in task manager and it was not responding so I ended the task. I then went to the bottom of the list and was able to delete the 3 USB Root Hubs with no problem. There is 2 items listed as Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller so I tried both of those, one at a time. Neither can be deleted and only hangs Device Manager.

So, it then thought I would try and uninstall the drivers and it won't let me do that either. I can't even disable them. It will let me do nothing with these remaining three items. Looking for suggestions CC. Thanks again!

MM
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
Same problem, no resolution:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/standard-openhcd-usb-host-controller/54458609-b653-4d29-aeca-0ddceaa6d34e

Further research finds chipset is ATI.  I though ATI was only the graphics.  USB drivers should be part of this.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-36944-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=1821850&sw_lang=
Direct link:  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software6/COL13270/pv-36944-1/sp26608.exe
Right click to save the file:  sp26608.exe

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
Ok, one more update before I install your previous link. I uninstalled the three USB roots as I mentioned before, did a re-boot and windows found them and re-installed them. But before that happened, my pc booted fine! I have process exp loaded in the startup so it was on and monitoring and when it got to the last USB driver, the cpu imediately ran up to 100%. I suspended all USB processes and it runs fine.

Very strange indeed...
I don't have a clue...

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 08:03:42 PM »
CC I can't grab that file. All links return to a "cannot display the webpage". When I click on the file and try and save it it returns a "cannot download the file. Server returned extended information" whatever the *censored* that means.

If you have another link, that would be cool. I'll be searching for another source too.

Thanks,

MM
I don't have a clue...

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »
Ok, I have the file and have been instructed to install through Device manager. Where am I installing this? What driver am I looking to replace with it?
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 10:01:58 AM »
Ok, I have the file and have been instructed to install through Device manager. Where am I installing this? What driver am I looking to replace with it?
File description for sp26608.exe is:  Spring 2006 Original ATI Chipset Drivers
It's shown under file--properties--version tab

Installation Instructions1. Download the driver package.
2. Double-click on the icon for the driver package downloaded in Step 1, and then click NEXT.
3. Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click NEXT.
4. Click OK to continue. The original drivers are now stored in the C:\SoftPaq\sp26608 folder.
5. If Device Manager does not start automatically, use the following steps. Otherwise go to Step 6:
a. Click Start.
b. Right-click My Computer, and then select Properties.
c. Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.
6. Click the + (plus) sign next to "System devices" or "Other devices".
7. Right-click SMBus Controller or the device you want to update, and then select Update Driver....
8. Click NEXT to install the software automatically.
9. Click FINISHED to complete the installation.

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 11:28:57 AM »
Ok, I have everything done and I see the readme file where you got the instructions in the softpac directory, but when I try to install the driver it says it can't find a better match than the one I have. Doesn't matter which option I choose, automatic, install myself, include the folder where the file is stored, it always says cannot be done...

Ok again, I went back and went to the HP site that wouldn't work yesterday and today it does. Clicked on the dowload button and it all went though, but still would not update. I notice soemthing funny though, in that on the "general" tab it said that there were no drivers installed for this device, but on the drivers tab it showed that there were drivers and they were dated in 2004. So I uninstalled the ATI SMBus. I am now going to re-boot and see what pops up.

BRB
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »
SMBus is the only ATI chipset driver in the Softpaq.  SMBus is not USB, so forget about it.
You might want to check the USB settings in the BIOS, F1 at startup.  Turn Legacy on and set all other references to auto.
I have an old Compaq that also does some strange USB stuff.  If USB HD is connected, it hangs the POST.  It works fine with USB flash drive.  I've only had it a few months, & it worked fine when I first got it.  I've heard that Asus OEM motherboards of that era were tempermental.

If your HP has a card reader, try unplugging it, see diagram F_USB1, F_USB2 at bottom of motherboard.  You can actually plug & unplug them while running, it's only USB.  They're keyed so only can go in 1-way.

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
CC, I have been doing some ooking around and came across this message in another forum. What do you make of the theory? More specificaly, this line..."Update the driver in device manager while a mass storage device is plugged in and select to choose the driver yourself and change it back to Root Hub" How would one try this?

MM

"fyn23-02-08, 12:43 PM
I just joined this site because I had the same problem with Windows XP and a via USB 2.0 pcmcia card and believe I found a solution.

Since 2002 I've been using the copy of XP Home that came with my laptop, have not re-installed it for a number of years (I've been using backed-up drive images made with acronis instead of clean installs) and never had a problem with the via chipset in the pcmcia card in all that time. So it's not a problem with via or XP as such.

But I recently decided to format a new HDD and do a proper clean install with Win-XP. I got the same hardware interrupts whenever I used a usb flash drive that others have reported on this thread.

But I still had my old HDD backed up and so compared the device manager in both.

The error seems to be that when a mass storage device is plugged in XP mistakenly switches to a USB2.0 Root Hub driver, where in my old XP installation it remains Root Hub. Update the driver in device manager while a mass storage device is plugged in and select to choose the driver yourself and change it back to Root Hub."

This did not stop the device operating as a full usb 2.0 device in anyway but Hardware Interrupts and DCP's dropped right down to 0% with the occasional jump upto 0.98%. Much better.

Hope it's of use to someone else
I don't have a clue...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
I believe the XP Service Packs corrected that issue...do you have them installed ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 05:15:17 PM »
On one of my computers, all DM USB drivers are dated 7/1/2001, except for VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller which is dated 6/1/2002.  All are provided by Microsoft, including the ones that say VIA.

It can't hurt to update the drivers with the device attached.

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 06:05:02 PM »
I can't get the device manager to do anything with the USB Host COntrollers. Right now it shows that the 3 root hubs are suspended with red x's through them. I cannot delete them now. I can do nothing with the PCI or the OpenHCD Controllers. If I try and delete them, DM hangs. If I try and update them DM hangs. I can't update thema nd I can't delete them. When I plug something in to one of them, nothing happens. No lights, no auto connect, nothing.

If I go to process explorer and try and "kil" them, it says that this cannot be allowed. All I can do there is suspend them. The pc runs fine like that, but of course I have no printing capability.
I don't have a clue...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »
Try the same procedures in safemode...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "