Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Are Internet Explorer users dumb?  (Read 7880 times)

immental1200

Re: Are Internet Explorer users dumb?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »
I have to say though ... Microsoft are way behind the other makers of browsers in one crucial area - performance.

I have carried out these test myself along with others.

IE9 - Slower than predecessors
IE8 - Slower than predecessors
IE7 - Slower than predecessors
IE6 - Faster than predecessors
IE5 - Faster than predecessors

So the question I have is... what the flip happened during the development of IE7 ?

Why has this been carried forward to the newer versions of the browser?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 01:53:12 PM »
I have to say though ... Microsoft are way behind the other makers of browsers in one crucial area - performance.

I have carried out these test myself along with others.

IE9 - Slower than predecessors
IE8 - Slower than predecessors
IE7 - Slower than predecessors
IE6 - Faster than predecessors
IE5 - Faster than predecessors

So the question I have is... what the flip happened during the development of IE7 ?

Why has this been carried forward to the newer versions of the browser?

What are you talking about?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

immental1200

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 02:47:27 PM »
the speed at which the browser starts up, and the speed that it loads webpages. IE is going backwards in performance times.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
Firefox has taken longer to start with each version as well, In my experience.

Also, IE6 did not start faster or run faster thant IE 5.5, in my experience. There was no discernable difference. And if there was, I imagine it was because Trident was updated to support the draft CSS2 specifications, which IE 5.5 only sorta kinda pretended to do. IE5 certainly wasn't faster than IE4 by any margin.

Each new version of the software took advantage of features in newer Operating Systems.

IE1,2, and 3 were designed for windows 3.1; each one required more memory and more processing power, because they each did more. Running IE3 with the same specs as IE1, IE3 would  run slower.

IE4 was first released as part of Windows 95, as well as being a requisite component of a number of other applications that used InfoViewer (Visual Studio 6, for example). It was, again, slower than IE3, because it now supported a *censored* of a lot more; javascript, java, applets, COM components, ActiveX controls, etc. And, naturally, the change from a crappy toolbar to a ReBar/CoolBar control. Anybody saying IE4 is faster than IE3 clearly hasn't used both.

Each new Version basically made it's debut on a new OS release; IE4 on Win95, IE5 with Windows 2000, and IE6 with Windows XP. each of these operating systems had their own differing requirements and the time period between the releases of the two operating systems meant that faster hardware was a lot more accessible, and usually a given with the new Operating System. The requirements for windows 2000 and Windows XP were the type of system that nobody could even imagine running Windows 95 on at the time of it's release. Comparing how IE4 runs on a Windows 95 machine with Windows 95-average specifications with IE6 running on an XP machine with "Standard" XP-era specifications is a biassed comparison. All you are saying is that "software runs faster when the computer is faster" which is obvious and it says nothing about the relative speeds of the software in question.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
May want to Post exactly how these "tests" were run and with what parameters...
Otherwise it's just conjecture on your part...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

immental1200

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
The test were run in two different ways, over 4 different systems.

The systems were as follows:

Windows 7 Machine - Dual Core - 2GB RAM
Windows 7 Machine - Single Core - 1GB RAM
Windows Vista Machine - Dual Core - 4GB RAM
Windows XP Machine - Single Core - 2GB RAM

All machines connected to a 40mb/s fibre optic connection. They connected to the router via a GigaBit network.

The first test - Upgrading the version of IE to the first release of each new version (if that makes sense)

The second test - Microsoft Expression Super Preview 4 - http://www.microsoft.com/uk/expression/products/web_overview.aspx

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
The first test - Upgrading the version of IE to the first release of each new version (if that makes sense)

Windows XP comes with IE6, Windows Vista comes with IE7, and Windows 7 comes with IE8. You cannot downgrade these below the version that came with windows, and if you do it would certainly taint any testing value to install a version of Internet Explorer that couldn't possibly have a hope in *censored* of running on the machine under normal circumstances. Since you made declarations that IE5 was faster than previous browsers, your "test" implies that you were then able to install and use IE4. Since none of the machines you note was capable of running IE4 I'm forced to conclude you are making most of it up.

The second test - Microsoft Expression Super Preview 4
That tests browser compatibility. I don't see the value in that, at least not in this context.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 07:32:35 PM »
Windows XP comes with IE6, Windows Vista comes with IE7, and Windows 7 comes with IE8. You cannot downgrade these below the version that came with windows, and if you do it would certainly taint any testing value to install a version of Internet Explorer that couldn't possibly have a hope in *censored* of running on the machine under normal circumstances. Since you made declarations that IE5 was faster than previous browsers, your "test" implies that you were then able to install and use IE4. Since none of the machines you note was capable of running IE4 I'm forced to conclude you are making most of it up.

But wait !  ...that's how the tests were run...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "