Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Come Back IE 8!  (Read 8294 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Come Back IE 8!
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:25:19 PM »
Do you miss i.t?
Yes? No? Here is rant by
Lincoln Spector, PCWorld    Aug 5, 2011
...  I'm tempted to suggest that, if you don't like Internet Explorer, you might consider switching to another browser, such as Firefox or Chrome. But I'm not sure that's the best idea if you prefer IE8 to IE9. All the new browser versions have a minimalist user interface like the one in IE9.
... (more)
Bring Back Internet Explorer 8

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Come Back IE 8!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:22:11 AM »
I don't like the minimal interface either.

That's why I use this magical thing that no tech journalist apparently understands how to do- I changed the defaults.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »
I don't like the minimal interface either.

That's why I use this magical thing that no tech journalist apparently understands how to do- I changed the defaults.
Well, if he knew that, he would not have to be a writer.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:30:05 AM »
Seems like im missing out on a lot of the "goodies" that come with win 7...

I read this article:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/03/ie9-standards-and-why-acid3-isnt-the-priority.ars

I am not a huge fan of simplistic user interfaces-it somehow seems like discouraging the end-user to explore the myriad of possibilities that the program holds (within reasonable limits of course). Although Apple set the trend for minimalistic user interfaces that would appeal to the majority of consumers who are purely concerned with ease of use...
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

JAJsangel

Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:06:25 AM »
    Well I'm glad I have Win XP on both my computers then so I don't have to worry about that. However
    mom has Win 7 on hers and from what I've used of the new IE I don't like it either. Really, I don't think Win 7 in general is all it's cracked up to be. It's not as easy to navigate. The only thing I can think of at the moment that's really that nice is the startup sounds and the loading cursor. They're kinda cool.
    maybe I don't like simplistic interfaces either. kinda funny isn't it? they're simple yet they're more difficult to navigate for me. could be a case of if you're not a beginner with computers then you're not gonna find beginner style interfaces easy to use.
     if the new OS isn't all that great then I' m not surprised the browser for them isn't all that great either.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:04:33 AM »
    Really, I don't think Win 7 in general is all it's cracked up to be. It's not as easy to navigate.
    I believe the majority of us who've used Win 7 for awhile firmly disagree with you.  Care to give an example of how it's not as easy to navigate? 

if the new OS isn't all that great then I' m not surprised the browser for them isn't all that great either.
    Re: OS, see above.   Re: IE browser: As you should recognize from the posts here, the trend among various browsers, not just IE, has been toward a more simplistic interface.  But, as mentioned in posts here, the user can change the default settings and features in the browser.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »
    The only thing I can think of at the moment that's really that nice is the startup sounds and the loading cursor. They're kinda cool.

If this is all a new OS impresses you with you may be missing the point...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »
    Seems like im missing out on a lot of the "goodies" that come with win 7...

I read this article:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/03/ie9-standards-and-why-acid3-isnt-the-priority.ars
    I'm not sure why you linked the article?

Really, there is a damned good reason the acid3 test isn't something anybody should give a flying fudge about. It is a test. First off, it tests draft specifications, secondly, it tests for specific implementation details, which are mentioned nowhere in that specification. The "problem" is that Internet Explorer isn't part of the "cabal" of browsers. See, when Firefox, Chrome, or Opera need to implement a feature, they don't do it themselves, they see how one of the other browsers that already implemented that feature (except IE) do it. And then they copy/duplicate that. TThey don't try to interpret the specification. Both IE and all the other browsers can implement the specification but behave differently, and the tests that are supposed to be designed to test adherence to a specification can't test for that specification because as per usual the W3C is vague and ambiguous in it's creation of that specification. And even actively hostile to IE; IE can implement something that meets their "standard" but isn't the same as the other browsers. Instead of copying each other the other browsers should go to the w3c and say, hey- fix your *censored*. your specification is vague, misleading, and open to interpretation. Fix it. a speicifcation should be precise and easy to understand.

I am not a huge fan of simplistic user interfaces-it somehow seems like discouraging the end-user to explore the myriad of possibilities that the program holds (within reasonable limits of course). Although Apple set the trend for minimalistic user interfaces that would appeal to the majority of consumers who are purely concerned with ease of use...

The Office 2007 ribbon is often described as a "simplistic" interface, compared to the ball of crap that the commandbars architecture had become. However, features are far more discoverable.

I think a better question is exactly what features are less discoverable in the sort of interface of chrome than in earlier versions of firefox or other browsers. The problem isn't that a lot of features aren't discoverable, it's that those features aren't going to be useful to the majority of users in the first place.

Well I'm glad I have Win XP on both my computers then so I don't have to worry about that.

What does the Original Post have to do with Windows 7?

mom has Win 7 on hers and from what I've used of the new IE I don't like it either.
    The "new IE" you refer to is IE8, which is the one that the tech journalist pines for for whatever reason.

Really, I don't think Win 7 in general is all it's cracked up to be. It's not as easy to navigate.
    The only reason it's not as easy to navigate is because you have already decided that it is inferior to what you are used to and so refuse to learn the new UI elements, like the breadcrumb bar. Every tiny issue you have with XP now you blame on yourself in some way, but if you have similar issues with Win7, you add it to your internal "issues" list. At the end, you find that the issues list of Win7 is really long and you go right back to your 10 year old operating system which has no real advantage over Vista, 7, or any modern Linux distribution.

maybe I don't like simplistic interfaces either. kinda funny isn't it? they're simple yet they're more difficult to navigate for me. could be a case of if you're not a beginner with computers then you're not gonna find beginner style interfaces easy to use.

Windows Vista/7 don't use a "simplistic interface". That is IE9, and IE8 is the default browser for Windows 7 and likely what you saw. You are blaming your own unfamiliarity with a new system on the system rather then on the fact that you are unfamiliar with it.

Again, the "browser for them" is IE8, and it is the one that "people want back". IE9 is the new one, and it takes a bloody voodoo incantation and sacrifices to get installed properly to begin with. It's doubtful that you've used it.
    « Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:47:48 PM by patio »
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:18:28 AM »
    I linked the article because I thought it would be nice to show why the Acid3 test is just another synthetic benchmark.
    The Office 2007 ribbon is often described as a "simplistic" interface, compared to the ball of crap that the commandbars architecture had become. However, features are far more discoverable.

The office 2007 and 2010 interface is what I like-has all the options out there for you to tinker with and is definitely more user friendly than 2003 and "Commandbars," which I take to mean navigating a commandline. I do not consider it simplistic, though, when I think of "simplistic" I think of Wordpad. Oh wait, that supports formatting. Notepad. Yes. Notepad is the epitome of simplistic. Can't go wrong.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

JAJsangel

Beginner
      « Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »
      I believe the majority of us who've used Win 7 for awhile firmly disagree with you.  Care to give an example of how it's not as easy to navigate? 
      Re: OS, see above.   Re: IE browser: As you should recognize from the posts here, the trend among various browsers, not just IE, has been toward a more simplistic interface.  But, as mentioned in posts here, the user can change the default settings and features in the browser.
      I guess it's mostly to do with the way it handles folders. I can't really pinpoint exactly but I just don't like the folder setup for some reason
      I also forgot to mention that I don't like how it is slower and in the IE you can't have as
      many browser windows. Sometimes when you do
      multiple tabs (and I don't mean like 20 I mean it could be even as much as 2 or 3) it freezes

What does the Original Post have to do with Windows 7?
      the IE that is being referred to negatively is only on Win 7 so it's an example of how I feel that Win 7 is a bit overhyped.

The only reason it's not as easy to navigate is because you have already decided that it is inferior to what you are used to and so refuse to learn the new UI elements, like the breadcrumb bar. Every tiny issue you have with XP now you blame on yourself in some way, but if you have similar issues with Win7, you add it to your internal "issues" list. At the end, you find that the issues list of Win7 is really long and you go right back to your 10 year old operating system which has no real advantage over Vista, 7, or any modern Linux distribution.
      It's not that I hate it. it costs a lot more money, just don't think it's worth it, esp since it seems like you have to get a whole new computer for it to work well (that's what I've read, haven't tried it on older computers) I also just don't see any new features that I really like enough to find it worth the money. maybe it's cuz I'm poor but it really seems like all the advantages would be minor.

That is IE9, and IE8 is the default browser for Windows 7 and likely what you saw.IE9 is the new one, and it takes a bloody voodoo incantation and sacrifices to get installed properly to begin with. It's doubtful that you've used it.

idk if it matters but IE9 is on Win 7 not IE8.
      the whole OS is simplistic to me. Well I think it takes all that trouble to install because it's not suited for Win XP but I used it on Win 7 and I didn't  like it.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:11:51 AM »
      I looked in the mail and surprise!  My dad sent two "leftover" copies of windows 7 ultimate (shouldn't they be using professional....?) from his workplace so we could have a much-needed upgrade... I am using Win7 to type this now and honestly cannot see why people (me included ;D ) have to stick with the antiquated XP. I think I will even scrap the XP-7 dual boot right now...

The OS is in no way simplistic-it is more logical in its placement of resources than XP is. It has all the administrative tools of XP, and a little new "Performance" tab which will continuously record statistics to a log file on the hard drive.  I like the fact that device manager, resource monitor, task scheduler, etc. are all combined into a nice "Manage" tab when you right-click my computer. It is just about as responsive as XP is, and all the urban myths about windows 7 being a "beginner" OS can be put to rest, IMO.

Really, How is IE9 a PITA to install....? just download the installer and run, no hassles, reboot once, and you are good to go. The entire process is automated. took 3 mins with average download speed of 317 kilobytes/sec. No bloody voodoo or anything like that. Just like how I installed IE8 on XP. I think I will post a review of it in the "Reviews and Recommendations" section over here after I'm done tinkering around with it and all.

Win 7 works perfectly fine on the (very) low-end computer that I use every day and run 24/7 (in my Specs)-I have a Windows Experience Index rating of 5.3-the worst performers were the RAM and the GPU. I can finally play a copy of Halo 2 that had been gathering dust on the shelf for a few years-it required at least Vista to run. 50 FPS with most details set to high, 1280x720 resolution.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »
      My dad sent two "leftover" copies of windows 7 ultimate (shouldn't they be using professional....?)

There is a Windows 7 version comparison chart here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

I have to say, I agree with everything you have said about Windows 7. And IE9.

immental1200

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
      I looked in the mail and surprise!  My dad sent two "leftover" copies of windows 7 ultimate (shouldn't they be using professional....?) from his workplace so we could have a much-needed upgrade... I am using Win7 to type this now and honestly cannot see why people (me included ;D ) have to stick with the antiquated XP. I think I will even scrap the XP-7 dual boot right now...

The OS is in no way simplistic-it is more logical in its placement of resources than XP is. It has all the administrative tools of XP, and a little new "Performance" tab which will continuously record statistics to a log file on the hard drive.  I like the fact that device manager, resource monitor, task scheduler, etc. are all combined into a nice "Manage" tab when you right-click my computer. It is just about as responsive as XP is, and all the urban myths about windows 7 being a "beginner" OS can be put to rest, IMO.

Really, How is IE9 a PITA to install....? just download the installer and run, no hassles, reboot once, and you are good to go. The entire process is automated. took 3 mins with average download speed of 317 kilobytes/sec. No bloody voodoo or anything like that. Just like how I installed IE8 on XP. I think I will post a review of it in the "Reviews and Recommendations" section over here after I'm done tinkering around with it and all.

Win 7 works perfectly fine on the (very) low-end computer that I use every day and run 24/7 (in my Specs)-I have a Windows Experience Index rating of 5.3-the worst performers were the RAM and the GPU. I can finally play a copy of Halo 2 that had been gathering dust on the shelf for a few years-it required at least Vista to run. 50 FPS with most details set to high, 1280x720 resolution.

Some of those advanced maintenance tools are BLOCKED in home premiumn ... some need you to have pro or ultimate.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
      Some of those advanced maintenance tools are BLOCKED in home premiumn ... some need you to have pro or ultimate.

... and your point is?

immental1200

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »
      ... and your point is?

That 7 may NOT be better than XP in terms of maintenance and advanced features for the average user...

How did we even get to talking about OS differences... just downgrade from IE9 to IE8 - Sorted

As I don't use IE anyway im fine.