Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sherlock1212  (Read 2089 times)

sherlock1212

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    sherlock1212
    « on: August 07, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
    I can no longer burn or record data on DVDs or CDs on my disk drive.  It reads just fine, but when ever I insert a new disk, I'm informed that Windows cannot format the disk.  The brand of disk doesn't seem to matter either.  I have a couple disks that were previously formatted and I can drag & drop to them, but no new disks.  What've I done wrong?

Salmon Trout

Can no longer format CD or DVD disks
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
    1. This is the FAQ Solutions Database. Didn't you see where it said "DON'T POST QUESTIONS HERE" ?

2. Just putting your user name as the thread title is not very sensible (No sh*t Sherlock!) Better would be "Can no longer format CD or DVD disks". An informative thread title will get you more and better answers.

3. How old is the drive? The write laser could have failed. Did it previously show any signs such as taking a long time to do burns? Or occasional bad burns?

4. You can drag and drop to previously formatted disks and the new content is actually on the disk after you remove them and try them again later?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: sherlock1212
    « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 02:43:10 PM »
    I'm moving this to a more appropriate forum.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: sherlock1212
    « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
    Ok so now we have that awekwardness out of the way...

What software and operating system are you using to format these disks?
    What kind of CD/DVD are you using? CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW ect...

Kurtis