Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to download Windows Media Player - help?  (Read 3275 times)

Pennie77

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Unable to download Windows Media Player - help?
    « on: August 12, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »

:( Hi all!  I have Windows7 Home Premium.  My Windows Media Player has crashed. 
    I've gone to Windows to get it.  They say Windows Player 12 can't be used for
    Windows 7 users and we must download their 'Windows Media Pack'.

That's OK with me, but it downloads - then comes up and says "Windows Standalone
    Installer is not applicable to your computer".  I click OK and that's it.

I've tried 3 times.

I can't download Windows Media Player 11 because its for XP only?  Or can I?
    Love You Computer Geeks

ComputerHope is my recommendation to all

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Unable to download Windows Media Player - help?
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
    if you have system restore active, you can try restoring your system to the point before the crash happened (if you can) and see if it fixes the problem?

"Windows Standalone Installer is not applicable to your computer" means the installer won't work with your computer and you can't install it.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »
      I do not know if it will alter your current issue. However there was a recent Win 7 update of SP 1. Have you installed that on your computer?If not do the download and see if it alters your outcome. truenorth

wandering_alice

Greenhorn
        « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
        I'd try an older version. I've never used Windows Media Player 11 on Windows 7 before but it doesn't hurt to try. Make sure the previous version of Windows Media Player is uninstalled off the computer. Check in Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.

And I've had problems in the past with Windows Media Player. Even now, on my other computer, it won't let me play avi videos so I usually watch them on Media Player Classic or VLC Media Player. (I just use it for listening to music.) So if you still have problems, look into trying out other media players to save you the headache.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »
        Actually i think Truenorth may be onto something here...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

2x3i5x

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »
        Take a look at one of these sites, they seem to say windows media player 11 can be installed on windows 7, if that's what you want to try.

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22459-windows-media-player-11-for-windows-7/
        http://techie-buzz.com/hacks-and-mods/how-to-uninstall-windows-media-player-12-on-windows-7.html

sure, though ... truenorth may be getting somewhere faster ....  :P