Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade still require to have Vista?  (Read 6645 times)

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Does Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade still require to have Vista?
    « on: August 12, 2011, 11:34:38 PM »
    Hi,

I remember when I first bought my Windows 7 Retail Anytime Upgrade, and you needed to have Vista on. It wasn't a fresh install I have. Is that still the case? I know I was searching Google, and MS dropped the Vistta Anytime Upgrade. How does that affect my Win 7? Could someone please help me out?

Salmon Trout

Re: Does Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade still require to have Vista?
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:35:11 AM »
    I'm not sure what you mean by "How does that affect my Win 7?" Are you asking what would happen if you ever need to reinstall Windows 7?

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
      I'm not sure what you mean by "How does that affect my Win 7?" Are you asking what would happen if you ever need to reinstall Windows 7?

Yes, what would happen if I did a fresh reinstall without Vista?

Oh, I know this will be off topic. I'm not sure where to post it at. I have a USB external HDD. How do I get it to recognize. I have it plugged into the wall, and it's plugged into my PC, and it's on. How do I set it up? How do I format it in Windows?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 12:54:38 AM »
      Yes, what would happen if I did a fresh reinstall without Vista?

If you bought a license to upgrade Vista to Windows 7,  you would have to reinstall Vista first and then upgrade it. However since all Windows 7 install media are identical, you could just buy a Windows 7 full license and avoid that.

I have a USB external HDD. How do I get it to recognize. I have it plugged into the wall, and it's plugged into my PC, and it's on. How do I set it up? How do I format it in Windows?

Is this a new disk you have just bought?

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:03:40 AM »
        If you bought a license to upgrade Vista to Windows 7,  you would have to reinstall Vista first and then upgrade it. However since all Windows 7 install media are identical, you could just buy a Windows 7 full license and avoid that.

Is this a new disk you have just bought?

The HDD is my old HDD, but it's already in an enclosure. I haven't used it since last year.

I did a couple of over writes on my Windows partition without deleting the partition, but just losing everything. It didn't ask me for Vista.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:24:52 AM »
        The HDD is my old HDD, but it's already in an enclosure. I haven't used it since last year.

Look for it in Disk Management. It should show up as a volume, and you should be able to see if it is formatted or not.

I did a couple of over writes on my Windows partition without deleting the partition, but just losing everything. It didn't ask me for Vista.

So you already know the answer to your question, don't you?

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 01:29:58 AM »
          I'm going to post up a screenshot of Device Management because I don't see it.

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 01:34:50 AM »
          Possibly the disk is imporoperly installed in the enclosure, or one or more of these are faulty: the computer USB port, the USB cable, the disk, the enclosure or the enclosure power supply. Check by elimination.

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 01:53:54 AM »
            Possibly the disk is imporoperly installed in the enclosure, or one or more of these are faulty: the computer USB port, the USB cable, the disk, the enclosure or the enclosure power supply. Check by elimination.

How can it go faulty in about a year? It was working fine when someone put it in for me. I never tried it on my PC until now.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 02:07:41 AM »
            How can it go faulty in about a year? It was working fine when someone put it in for me. I never tried it on my PC until now.

There are many ways that hardware can go faulty. Especially hard disk drives which have mechanical parts. Have you checked all the things I listed? Have you tried it with a different computer?

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 02:15:31 AM »
              There are many ways that hardware can go faulty. Especially hard disk drives which have mechanical parts. Have you checked all the things I listed? Have you tried it with a different computer?

I don't have a different computer. I don't have a screwdriver either. I did find a different power cord, and it seems to fit the case. Here are some more info. It makes a sound everytime I connect it, but it doesn't find any device hardware.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 02:21:16 AM »
              I don't have a different computer. I don't have a screwdriver either.

Sounds like you are stuck for the moment...

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                « Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 02:26:17 AM »
                Sounds like you are stuck for the moment...

Does that sound mean it's trying to detect hardware, but it can't? It's the same sound that anything could be plugged in trying to find hardware.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 02:32:20 AM »
                You wrote "it makes a sound". I cannot tell if you mean the disk drive makes a sound, or that Windows makes a sound through the speakers? If the latter, and it is the same Windows sound you hear when you connect other USB drives, I expect the enclosure is being detected as a USB device, but possibly the disk inside is dead or not connected properly. This thread could continue indefinitely like this but it does not sound as if you intend to check any of the things I suggested.

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                  « Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 03:01:19 AM »
                  You wrote "it makes a sound". I cannot tell if you mean the disk drive makes a sound, or that Windows makes a sound through the speakers? If the latter, and it is the same Windows sound you hear when you connect other USB drives, I expect the enclosure is being detected as a USB device, but possibly the disk inside is dead or not connected properly. This thread could continue indefinitely like this but it does not sound as if you intend to check any of the things I suggested.

I don't have tools. How can I open it without a screwdriver?