Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTFS Permissions in W2k3  (Read 6978 times)

lino124

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    NTFS Permissions in W2k3
    « on: August 21, 2011, 12:57:03 AM »
    Greetings,

NTFS permission can be a headache @ times and that's exactly what i am going through right now.
    Here is the situation i am facing: We running windows server 2003 in our domain with a file server where we have a shared folder called All Employees and each user or employee has his own folder inside this All Employees folders. What we want is that every user can gain access to the All Employee´s folder but should not access another user´s folder.

So what i did was to assign List Folder Content permission to the Domain users group for the root folder in this case the All Employees, since all the Domain users are part of the Domain Users Security Group. This worked just fine, but the problem is that the permission i assigned to the parent folder (All Employees) is propagating through to all child folders enabling all users traversing to another user´s folder, even though they cannot open the files but they can see what is in other employees folders. Our aim is to restrict users from accessing a fellow employee´s folder after they gained access to the root folder (All Employees) the respective user should only be able to access his folder. By the way we have over 250 users.  ???

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: NTFS Permissions in W2k3
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:47:21 AM »
    I would follow these steps:

First, remove the permission from that top-level folder.
    Second, select all individual users' folders; choose properties-->Security-->Advanced.
    Third, uncheck the "inherit" option and apply.
    Fourth, switch the permission back on for the top-level folder.  This time it won't propagate down through the directory tree.

Does that make sense?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

lino124

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:20:15 AM »
      Rob thanks

Are u saying i must first remove the Domain user Security group from the parent folder? when you say select individual user´s folder u mean i must go the advanced property for each user´s folder, if so, ins't there a way to do this collectively instead of going through 250 folders individually, its quite burdensome. 

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:50:29 AM »
      No - remove List Folder Content permission from the parent folder.  (first step)
      Then, within that folder, hit Ctrl-A to select all sub-folders and continue as above.  (second step)  This will make the change to all folders simultaneously.

Does that help?
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos