Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unusual resolution problem  (Read 5742 times)

CrunchyChicken

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Experienced
    Unusual resolution problem
    « on: August 29, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
    Alright, so I was messing around with some games and their resolutions because they would appear off (black bar on the right side of the screen). During this my desktop resolution messed up as well and began displaying the black bar. After a few minutes the input dropped and it displayed the message "Cannot display video mode, change computer input to 1360 x 768" despite my resolution already being at 1360x768.

Now my problem is this; I can change my resolution to anything, higher or lower, but 1360 x 768 (the native res) because when I do I get a black screen with the message: "Cannot display video mode, change computer input to 1360 x 768"

There was also a situation where, after changing to a different VGA cable, the 1360x768 resolution displayed for about ten seconds before the above message displayed.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Unusual resolution problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
    I know it is a long shot, but did yu by any chance change the frequency of the resolutions? usually most laptop/desktop screens operate best at 60Hz. Please advise on which operating system you are running and we can give you detailed instructions on how to check/change it

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:00:26 PM »
    I think Kurtiskain is right, it sounds like the refresh rate is set to something the monitor can't display. What is the make and model of the screen you're using? Also, what is the make and model of the video card? Usually it is 60Hz, but not always. Oddly enough, my screen is 50Hz. Either the manual that came with the screen or the manufacturer's website will have information about what the refresh rate should be.

Oh, also try setting it in safe mode and see if it works any better.

CrunchyChicken

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:59:51 PM »
      I've tried changing the refresh rate. 60Hz is what I had it set to before. I'm using an old 23'' Dell W2306C (LCD tv/Monitor). Never had a problem running it 1360x768 @ 60Hz until recently. Honestly can't think of why it wont display this one resolution.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 01:52:46 AM »
      Well, I downloaded the service manual and can confirm that it is definitely 1360 x 768@60Hz. How is it connected to the computer? DVI or the older D-Sub 15 pin VGA connector?

Also, what model is your video card? You might check that both the Windows display settings and the video card's setting match (this usually happens automatically).

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 02:10:21 AM »
      Ok, a little more information. I did some looking around and found a number of threads on Dell's support site about W2306C screens and DVI refresh rate problems with computers. People reported shaky or wobbly displays and even issues like your own where they couldn't get it to display in the native resolution. Some people switched to VGA cables instead and had no issues.

One fix several people have said worked for them to use DVI was to go into the screen's menus and reset it to factory settings. Even if you've never changed anything, try this and see if it works for you.

Despite the great number of threads on DVI issues with this TV, people are also reporting that when they talk to Dell, they are simply told that Dell has never heard of this issue.  ::) However, Dell did confirm there is a power issue with this model that for some people causes the TV to just shut off periodically. Just a little FYI, in case yours ever starts doing that.

CrunchyChicken

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:55:11 AM »
        I have a HD 5850 and I'm connecting with VGA through a DVI adapter to the GPU. I've already tried resetting to factory settings with no luck.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 03:23:14 AM »
        Have you tried reinstalling your Video driver?