Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New SSD suggestions on tight budget $100 or less for best drive  (Read 3197 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
New SSD suggestions on tight budget $100 or less for best drive
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
I am thinking about upgrading to a new SSD for less than $100, but it has to be equal to a greater than 60GB. I found this one drive on newegg for sale for $60 after rebate, but I dont know what to look for in a solid state drive. Whats good and what to avoid? The feedback on this specific drive linked also has me concerned that it may be a liquidated sale to move bugged hardware, but as is the troubles with most feedback ratings 80%-90% of the feedback are going to be from those who have had problems with it while the remaining 20%-10% will be the users who had success with it and decided to take the time to post positive feedback.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227738&cm_sp=Cat_SSD-_-Spotlight-_-20-227-738

My youngest brother suggested Intel or OCZ as the best brands to go with for SSD drives. Obviously any SSD drive will beat the pants off of my 1TB platter drive that I currently use. My intention for the SSD is probably to either use it for OS boot -or- video game execution area for quick read/writes. But if used for the video games, and if the OS is on a platter drive the swap space is still on the platters vs SSD, although that swap location can probably be moved to the SSD. My OS is currently Windows 7 Home Premium and the one main game I play is WoW which is currently like 32GB with patches and I am not sure what Windows 7 is using yet, but I could find out when I get home. Would be neat to have both OS and main game on an SSD for speed for both needs, and then store my important data on the 1TB that would act as a slave drive. I could install Windows XP Pro SP3 to this drive and it may be a lesser pig for storage space to squeeze both onto 60GB as well.

My hardware specs are: AMD Athlon II x4 (quadcore) 2.6Ghz AM3 CPU, 4GB 800mhz DDR2 Crucial Ram, Biostar AM2+ Motherboard, Zotac GeForce 9800GT with 1GB DDR2 dedicated Ram Videocard, and currently a 1TB seagate SATA drive + 2 DVD-RW SATA drives, ( leaving me with 1 available SATA port for that SSD in which my MB would be fully populated with SATA drives with the addition of the SSD ). PSU is 450W no-name brand that came with a cheap $20 rosewill case, that I bought for a cheap 450W PSU and gave the bare ugly and weak thin tin case to my brother for his projects.

Im thinking that the 1TB drive is the only bottleneck I have for speed right now.

My brother also warned me that some of the SSD drives use like 10GB of their space as cache so you only really end up with say 50GB of that 60GB. Not sure if this is true or not, but if so they shoudl market it as 50GB of storage space with a 10GB cache. To me 10GB seems insanely large for a cache space when I am use to seeing like 32MB cache on a platter type drive.

Anyone have any SSD drive suggestions for 60GB or greater capacity for under $100 that are a good buy and quality parts that will last vs something that will fail in 6 months. I suppose this OCZ has a 3 year warranty, but I'd like to avoid having to send a drive back for replacement with then receiving a reconditioned serviced drive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: New SSD suggestions on tight budget $100 or less for best drive
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:35:06 PM »
OCZ has just sold off their RAM division to concentrate solely on SSD HDD's so i'd say you'lb be in good company...
IBM had a long string of bad ones so avoid them for now...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »
I am dealing with OCZ now for a warranty replacement on a memory item they no longer make. 
After going through their entire RMA process, it has been in their hands for a month & no replacement, no money, no nothing.  I'm doing this as a test of their warranty process, the item is not expensive, but it does have a lifetime warranty.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 03:15:42 AM »
BTW, the OCZ drive you refer to is a very low performance drive.  Always look at Max Sequential Read/Write speeds.  OCZ is 180/90.  This one is 250/230 & has 2X the capacity:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139416

Right now, SSD's are still pricey.  7200rpm drives are a better value.
One of these came in my new laptop:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »
Thanks for everyones input on this... and yah I wish I could afford that 128MB SSD for $195 with more capacity and higher speed. I guess I will have to flip a coin to decide to get this 60GB for the price or just wait.

Drrwho

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:34:47 AM »
    Honestly, I would have to agree with Computer_Commando.  If I were you, I'd wait a bit yet.  The prices of SSD drives will start to come down pretty soon, but the technology is still a little new for the larger drive sizes.  And while the performance boost may be decent, it may not be worth the price right now.  I just had a SSD drive put in my work laptop and the performance boost was minimal. 

Right now though, the performance is being limited because the BIOS isn't set to work with a SSD drive correctly yet and will require more work to make it work at max performance.  So, if you switch to a SSD drive, be prepared to have to change BIOS settings and possibly some additional steps to get it working 100%.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
    « Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »
    Yah I am going to wait... sure I could squeek by on 60GB, but I have gone 25 years on platter drives starting out on an old seagate 10MB leading to todays 1 TB drive, whats waiting another year maybe for say a 120 or 128GB to be $100 or less or the unlikelihood of hitting lottery and replacing home system with an ungodly powerful system and largest and fastest SSD's available.... one can dream right! .. ha ha

Thanks for everyones input on this!