Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Migrate windows install to new SSD?  (Read 4122 times)

Diatech

Topic Starter

Rookie

• who, me?
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Migrate windows install to new SSD?
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »
Hello!

I just purchased a new SSD; because of the size (30 GB) I do not have room for anything other than the operating system itself.

Because I like to complicate things (</sarcasm>), and I don't want to reinstall windows, I would like to migrate only the windows install itself to the new SSD!

I would like to leave all installed programs, files, and Users folders (but not the desktop - that I want on the SSD) on the original Hard drive that windows was originally installed on.

Any help on accomplishing this would be greatly appreciated :)

Diatech

Edit: I do not want to have two separate windows installs; I don't want to install windows on the SSD and just run the installed programs from the original windows install on the HDD, rather I would like to move the windows install entirely  as noted above.

Thanks! :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Migrate windows install to new SSD?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
Short answer...can't be done.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »
Couldn't you do it by eliminating virtual memory file, system restore files & some programs to get below the 30GB?  This would have to be done on the HD before cloning to the SSD.  Virtual memory file shouldn't be kept on an SSD drive.

My Win7-64 is 50+GB, unoptimized, including most bloatware.  I don't keep any data on that machine.

drcspy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »
Short answer...can't be done.

of course you can image an existing system onto an ssd but it's not reccomended however if you then use something like 'paragon alignment tool' that' will sort out some of the issues peculiar to ssd's.........it'll work fine

drcspy

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
of course you can image an existing system onto an ssd but it's not reccomended however if you then use something like 'paragon alignment tool' that' will sort out some of the issues peculiar to ssd's.........it'll work fine

oh sorry didn't read the original post correctly. Yes it's pretty well impossible to migrate only the windows installation and not the installed programs etc......dont' see how you could do that at all

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »
Thanx for clarifying...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "