Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installed driover for svideo output ,and now have black screen  (Read 5940 times)

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    installed driover for svideo output ,and now have black screen
    « on: September 20, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
    I installed a svideo card in my old hp and first downloaded the driver ( gforce ) then re booted .The msn flag came up and a few progesss bars appeared and instead of going to the next screen it went black. I removed the card and the same thing is happening. I am unable to acess my pc at all .I tried f8 and f9 and so on and every variation but still get the same thing. This pc is my daughters I'm using now.. Has anyone an idea what I can do to revive even my pc without the svideo card .
    Thanks

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: installed driover for svideo output ,and now have black screen
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
    1. Need full specs on the computer, including all hardware and the operating system (specifically what version of Windows). Don't forget to include the model of the card you were trying to put in.

2. What do you mean the "msn flag"?

3. Is the computer POSTing? (when you turn it on, does it show anything? do you hear a single beep?)

4. If it's posting, does it load into Windows? (Do you hear the Windows startup sound? (If you have to log in, you won't hear it until logged in)).

Let's start with those questions then we'll move on from there. :)

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »
      pc is HP the o/s is XP professional . The model of card is GeForce FX5500 (AGP) 256MB/128/bit DDR+DVI+TV OUT .. I used this card in another  pc which I bought used from the same place a couple of years ago .They sell  used pc's and I bought this one a few months ago. ( the last one was an IBM )  About a year and a half  ago I bought  the card  new from the same place and after phoning them yesterday they said it would have came with a cd. I don't have the cd but they said go to nivida and download the drivers which I did. Before going farther I better mention That I took the card out of the first pc after getting a tv that had a vga input .The card just sat on the shelf for a year or so. After the pc that it was originally in became to slow starting up I went to the same used dealer and for $60.00 bought the one I now am having the problem with .It wologrked just fine until I put the svideo card in . The old IBM pc is still in my garage but with the hard drive destroyed (as a safty precauition against ID theives etc.) .
       After the pc comes on it first shows part of a huge HP logo ( to big for the screen) and along the bottom below the HP logo it says vol.11    F9=Boot Menu  F10=setup  F12=net and I cant see the rest of the line of words as they don't fit the screen. Then it goes to the next page which is what I called the msn flag .It a logo of a orange square in with a green square imediatley to its right ,and a blue square below the orange ons ,with a yellow square to the left of the blue square ,and all together they sort of look like a flag .
       When I first turn it on It 

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:31:25 AM »
      See if you can boot into safemode.

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »
        Cant boot in safe mode  The screen fills with a bunch of information in black and white ,but no prompts

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:43:10 AM »
          I think I ran out of space in my last reply as I was unable to see what I was typing .I'll continue here . When first turned on it shows what I described then I hear clicking ,and buzzing then a few more of the same and after maybe 10 seconds or so it remains quiet with only the fan making its usual noise. I thing the buzzing is what you are calling the start up sound. I remember hearing it when ever I started up my pc in the past. The only hard ware is the DVD and CD player ,besides the svideocard which is no longer in it . After removing the video card the screen said memory error ,the memory is different than last start up ,it goes on to say pressing F1 will record the configuration. at the bottom of the screen it says the following configuration options automatically were updated:
          Memory :() I cant quite make it out but it is 5 and I think 9 ,then 4 making it 594 When I plug the vga cable into the svideo card or the one thats on the pc originally it makes no difference .Just does the same thing.
           When I first bought this card I had a problem when setting it up ,it asked me if I wanted the tv or the monitor to be the one I would use ,or if I wanted both on at the same time . I remember having this problem now that I'm thinking about all this . It turned out that I had indicated I wanted only the power to go to my tv and that made my monitor black out . I am now thinking that this may be my problem The tv is way across the room and I was going to get a long svideo cable for it but thought first I'd install the card to be sure it worked on my pc and I wanted to p[lug the monitor in to the card vga output. Only now with the card out it still wont work.I'm out of space again and will have to leave  to work now
          Thanks 

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:58 AM »
          That black and white text is normal. When booting into safemode, it does that. There's usually a point where it appears to freeze, but it's not actually frozen. Give it a minute or two (really should be any longer than that) and see if it boots properly.

As for sounds, there shouldn't be a buzzing or a clicking. Buzzing is usually an indication that something spinning (CPU fan, power supply fan, case fan, hard drive, or a CD drive with a disk in it) is failing or malfunctioning in some way. Clicking, depending on where it's coming from, can mean a lot of things. If it's coming from the hard drive, the hard drive is dying. If it's coming from elsewhere, it may mean something else. See if you can determine where these sounds are coming from.

The sound I was referring to is neither of these, it's distinctly a beep. A single, short beep. An example can be heard in this video:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZUhxV9ju8

However, if you're getting to the Windows loading screen (with the Windows (flag) logo), then it's passing the POST.

I'm still not exactly sure by what you mean by "svideo card". I know what S-video is, but I've never seen a card that does just that (not saying it doesn't exist, just never seen one). Are you talking about the FX5500 or is this something else?

Memory :() I cant quite make it out but it is 5 and I think 9 ,then 4 making it 594

You lost me there.

Try posting your specs like this so it's a little more clear on what everything is in your system: (I just copied and pasted mine as an example, easier :P)
          Case: Raidmax Ninja
          Power Supply: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 650w
          Motherboard: Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H
          Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz
          Cooler: CoolerMaster V6 GT
          Video: PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 5770 (two cards, using CrossfireX)
          Sound: Creative X-Fi Extreme
          RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
          HDD: 500GB SATA x2
          Optical: LiteOn 24x DVD-Writer
          Monitor: 42 inch Samsung TV

You don't have to include ALL of that, just something along the lines of that format.

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »
            Thanks for the advise I 'll try safe mode again. The s-video card is what I got to plug my s-video cable into and the other end into my tv ,to be able to use the tv as a monitor .The s-video card aldo has a vge plug in it .
            I ll try to get the specs and post them as you described .

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »
              I tried safe mode and its still showing the same screen fora half hour now..
              I'll take the side off the pc and try to get the specs you asked for ..
              BTW all the pc's I ever had ,I seem to remember the clicking and kinda grinding noise as they started up ,including this one .Its kinda like they are reading a cd disc ,but theres none in them..
               There wqere other forms of safe mode I could have clicked on like safe mode manual ( I think that was one) and safe mode advanced ,or something like that ,I tried them all yesterday but got no prompts so I shut the pc off and tried something different .,none of which worked . 

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 02:28:46 PM »
                FX5500 is the s-video card

quaxo

Guru
                  • Yes
                « Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 05:14:20 PM »
                FX5500 is the s-video card

And what is the rest of your hardware? In particular, what was your old video card that the FX5500 is replacing?

Also, do you have your Windows CD handy?

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
                  I dont know if 'I am replacing an old video card ,I didn't remove anything,just added this one. At this point I better tell you my knowledge is very limited re pc's I'm 64 years old and didn't grow up with them but have used them for 15 years.
                  You asked my hardware ,well on this pc I clicked on "view system information " and a long list came up ,however I can't get to that info on the faulty pc as it won't let me get that far ,the screen is black by then. I have a windows cd I got with another pc when I ran it it asked me to click on "8" if I agreed to the conditions ,I was unable to get any response . I could use the up and down arrow buttons to indicate which choices I wanted to make and the" enter" key worked ,but not the 8 .I tried different things and a window saying "error with key board "came up .I dont have problems indicating where to boot from when I need to use the keyboards arrows etc. somehow it wont let me click on"I agree ",but I can click on "Esc" and that key works.  That disk says its a reinstallation disk for Dell ,and for windows XP Professional same as I have, except mines a HP .it includes service pack 1 ,I was running with service pack 3 . 
                   One of the screens I am able to get to asks what I want to boot off ,then asks "A disck" ,"c drive", or " USB" and a couple of other options I forget . Is it possible to load something from this pc I'm on now ,into a flash drive and click "boot off usb" ?  I'm probably running out of space ,but will write the pc info that I was able to get in my next post

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 08:45:11 AM »
                    product name: HPd530 CMT(DG063A)
                    Processor type: Pentium (R)4 processor 2800MHZ
                    processor speed 2800/533 MHZ
                    processor stepping F29
                    cache size (L1/12) 20/512 kb
                    Memory size 512 mb DDR/333 mhz/dual channel
                    integrated MAC 000D9D9A7F9C
                    system bios 786B2 v1.11
                    chasis serial no. CAC34100NR
                    asset tracking CAC34100NR
                    hard disk

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 08:52:50 AM »
                                                      continued from last post
                      hard disk:
                       IDE primary 0 40.0 GB WDC WD400BB-60DGAO
                       IDE primary 1 40.0 GB MAXTOR 6L04L2

Thats all the information I'm able to get.
                       a foot note ..I installed the S-video card so I can use my old tv as a monitor ,last night I ran the S-video cable to the tv and both the tv and monitor showed the same . Still it didn't work ,but at least I know the card is sending the signal out .

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
                        Anyone??