Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display on netbook fuzzy but on second monitor ok???  (Read 3695 times)

daveid

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Display on netbook fuzzy but on second monitor ok???
    « on: October 06, 2011, 06:56:47 AM »
    my netbook (acer) has got a fuzzy display, everything that should be white is pink,but if i plug in my desktop monitor the display is fine, is my screen kaput?
    i have been on the intel support and done the update drivers etc and set all the settings to default on the colours
    HELP
    my next step was to strip it and see if theres a bad connection between the keyboard and screen?ideas?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Display on netbook fuzzy but on second monitor ok???
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
    ...my next step was to strip it and see if theres a bad connection between the keyboard and screen?ideas?
    Bad connection between screen & motherboard (not keyboard).  The place to look is usually the hinge, the signals to the screen go through the hinge on notebooks.  I suspect netbooks are the same.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 08:50:33 PM »
    my netbook (acer) has got a fuzzy display, everything that should be white is pink,but if i plug in my desktop monitor the display is fine, is my screen kaput?
    i have been on the intel support and done the update drivers etc and set all the settings to default on the colours
    HELP
    my next step was to strip it and see if theres a bad connection between the keyboard and screen?ideas?

If the laptop is under warranty, send it in. If you open it, it may void the warranty for any further work you might need in the future.

If it's not under warranty, and you're comfortable opening the laptop, check the connection. As CC said, it's between the screen and the motherboard. Oddly enough, the connection usually seems to be on the left hinge, but it might be on the right. (Most of the ones I've worked on had it on the left)

Check that the connector is securely connected to the motherboard and that none of the wires look worn through. Checking the wires themselves might be difficult depending on how they put the laptop together, as sometimes the wires are wrapping in something, sometimes they're a flat ribbon cable.

If they're wires, you might be able to find a good electronics repair or computer repair shop that can replace the bad wire. If it's a ribbon cable type, some of them are replaceable without changing the screen, and some aren't.

daveid

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 01:45:54 AM »
      Thanks guys, I may just live with it using my desktop monitor as its larger, I have looked at the manual online and it seems you have to take everything out to disconnect the lcd before lifting off, If i do that and its not a loose connection but a damaged wire, i may struggle to get it repaired,where i live.You have saved me thinking its some virus or setting though, cheers