Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: So Did Staples Rip Me Off?  (Read 14331 times)

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

So Did Staples Rip Me Off?
    « on: September 29, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »
    I made this thread  in June.

To summarize:
    My PC fell on the floor accidentally, it then would not work.
    I took it to staples, sure enough, the harddrive needs replaced, and the operating system needs re-installed.
    They recommended a new motherboard, but thought I could get by without it.
    I lost all previous data, cost was $250.

Fast forward to today.  So last night, as I shut down the PC, it installs a new version of windows vista updates.
    I go to turn on the PC today.
    Well it turns on, but the screen is totally blank.
    Not to alarmed I am at first, because this happened last month.  However, after trying several times, it will not turn on.

I go to staples, guy tells me I "lost" all data on my harddrive and it needs a new motherboard and maybe a video card.
    I am like, I thought you took care of this problem.
    He "claims" that since my PC has no battery (it died and has not been replaced) that when windows vista updates, it can cause it to crash.  He thinks that windows vista update messed it up, and now I need a new motherboard for $120+all data is lost.

He thinks some virus perhaps causes this problem, perhaps when vista was updating, that vista as opposed to XP can cause it to malfunction.
    I say this guy is a fraud who ripped me off.
    I never heard of a "vista update" causing a motherboard to crash, and further, how does a motherboard crash destroy all data on my harddrive?

I am worried, if I go and get this fixed, who is to say in 3 months, something else does not arise?
    Your thoughts?

1) Does this sound legit?
    2) Is it worth getting fixed (money is a problem for me, so I cannot afford a great new PC)

look I'll fix it for 100 bucks, if it does the job.  But having spent 250 already on a 4 year old PC, I just do not want another problem to happen and cost me more time and money.
    I find it fishy that my PC has constant issues like this, and others does not.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: So Did Staples Rip Me Off?
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »
    Why don't you tell us the make & model of this laptop?  If you're having this much trouble with this one, retire it, & try to sell to get some cash for a new one.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
      My PC is a sony vaio laptop
      Model: PCG-5G2L
      Model Name: VGN-CR190
      Service Tag: R5311448
      Product Code: 29399144
      Serial No: 3001189
      MFD: 07/07

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »
      My condolences on the Vaio.  Sony should give up their PC business.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:04:22 PM »
        Why, bad model?

So was the guy at staples full of it or does this make sense?
        I am either going to spend 350 and get a new PC, or spend 100, get the new motherboard, and pray this lasts 6 months till I can afford the PC I want.

Which makes sense?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:47:49 PM »
        So was the guy at staples full of it or does this make sense?

IF you ask me, he's full of it. It wasn't that you lost all the data, it is that they are too lazy. Lack of a laptop battery makes absolutely no difference, they just made that up, probably on the spot. Trust me when I say peopel at staples/best buy etc do this ALL the time.

My guess is that your problem could have been solved by booting to a Vista disk and performing a startup repair. It could have been that there was in fact a problem with the motherboard from when you dropped it that took time to manifest itself, but none of the reasons he gave make any sense at all.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:37 PM »
        IF you ask me, he's full of it. It wasn't that you lost all the data, it is that they are too lazy. Lack of a laptop battery makes absolutely no difference, they just made that up, probably on the spot. Trust me when I say peopel at staples/best buy etc do this ALL the time.

+1

The only reason NOT having a battery in while updating could have affected anything is if the laptop lost power at some point during the update, interrupting it (desktops are susceptible to this as well since there's no backup power). Interrupting an update can cause errors, but none that would damage the motherboard or any other piece of hardware permanently like they seem to be trying to lead you to believe. And not having a battery in during an update will not cause it to crash though, that's utter rubbish. Either he's a fraud and trying to get more money out of you or has no idea what he's talking about.

Chances are he's counting on your lack of knowledge about computers so he can feed you any nonsense he wants, much like repair people do in many other fields (like car mechanics, plumbers, etc.).

Why, bad model?

Not a bad model, just a bad manufacturer. Sony laptops aren't known for their reliability. Too much price, too little quality.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »
          Yeh, back in June when I took it in, he said it could use a new motherboard, but I likely could get by without it.
          He basically feels during the Vista update either a virus got in or it got interrupted by a power shut down, causing it to fry and loss all data.

I do not know what to do.  He says bring it in to him, it will take 7-10 days as they have to ship it out, but he can get a new motherboard for me for 100.
          I don't have the money for a new PC, so wondering if I should take his offer or not?  I'd really like to have it where I do not lose all my data.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
            Just wondering where you should go when you have a pc problem if not bestbuy/staples?  Why not go to those places?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 11:01:02 AM »
            Just wondering where you should go when you have a pc problem if not bestbuy/staples?  Why not go to those places?
            Besides Computer Hope...
            A local repair shop would be a good place to start or an independent repair person.
            Those places are all bad, I believe they work on commission.  I've forgotten more than most will ever know.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 11:32:57 AM »
            ...causing it to fry and loss all data.

Next time you see him tell him that we all said that is the biggest piece of bull$#!+ we've ever heard. Armed with the proper knowledge, I would demand to see the manager and complain that his tech is either lying his *censored* off or has no idea what he's doing.

Could use a new motherboard, but likely could get by with out it? Was this guy a former auto mechanic or what? It's not like the muffler has a hole in it but you could get by without changing it. If the motherboard was damaged in the fall, I think you would have had more serious issues before this.

Ok, let's see if we can fix this thing without you having to spend any money (or hopefully as little as possible).

When you boot the computer, do you see anything at all? Does the POST* come up? Or perhaps a Sony logo on the screen? Anything? Or does it remain black from the moment it's turned on? At what point does the screen go black?

Do the computer beep at all shortly after turning it on? Single beep? Multiple beeps? No beep?

Does the hard drive indicator light show any activity?

Answer those questions as best as you can and we'll move from there.

*POST = Power On Self Test, briefly displays drive, memory, and some other info as it's booting.

You can always come here first for advice or help. None of us earn any money for doing this. There is no motivation to try to rip you off here. I personally do this because I like the challenge of trying to sort things out and I like helping people. I do make money fixing computers, among other things, but even with local clients, I never lead people on or prey on their ignorance.

If there is some issue we aren't able to help you resolve, as Computer Commando suggested, a local computer repair shop (look them up in the yellow pages if you don't know any). Most of these kinds of shops are cheaper than places like Best Buy and Staples, and their techs usually know what they're talking about.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
              I most emphatically concur that your "tech" is trying to take you to the cleaners. He got away with it once so feels confident he can again. IF (and it certainly is NOT my recommendation) you do decide to take the computer there for a MB replacement i would mark the current MB with an identifying mark known to you (and desirably a witness) before taking it in. I would not be surprised if after the "repair" you would be getting your same MB back. Stick with us here for a while to see if we can get you going again. If and when you do decide to purchase another computer check into the terms of your credit cards as often (even if you pay off the purchase to the credit card company immediately) they extend the warranty for at least an additional year beyond the store or mfg. warranty as long as you use their card for the purchase. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »
              I concur with TN.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
                Thanks guys, I am going to answer quaxo first:

When you boot the computer, do you see anything at all? Does the POST* come up? Or perhaps a Sony logo on the screen? Anything? Or does it remain black from the moment it's turned on? At what point does the screen go black?
                When I turn it on, the screen is completely black, and still.

Do the computer beep at all shortly after turning it on? Single beep? Multiple beeps? No beep?
                No beeps, nothing.

Does the hard drive indicator light show any activity?
                Two green lights are on, I believe...it definitely turns on, but screen is blank and that windows start sound, does not happen.

OK, now I just read this thread now, might be too late.
                I took my PC in today and raised *censored*.  He took me back in the room, unscrewed my harddrive, and hooked up to a reading device.
                My harddrive mysteriously had 297 of 298 GB free, nothing showed on it.

He claims in his experience it the motherboard, or some virus happened, it makes no sense.
                Basically I shut off the PC for the night, and windows updated, next day I turn it on, screen blank, and he claims everything from harddrive is wiped out, even though the hardrive is brand new.

He told me he would send it out, it would take 7-10 days, and it would cost $100 and I would not pay until I get it back.
                Now, I don't know what to do.
                I don't know if I should go in tomorrow, and demand it back and work it out either with you guys or if needed, another 3rd party.

I am very upset at how I lost all my data (he claims) for no good reason (he claims that when vista was updating, it could have interrupted or hackers could have put in a virus).
                I just want my PC back, with the data.

My concern is that this will linger, take awhile, or if I go to a 3rd party, they'll charge me well in excess of $100...I already sunk $250 into this in June!

You tell me and I'll go from there, I am on a very tight budget!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »
                Hard drives don't wipe/format themselves. Either they took the opportunity to make their claims a reality when you originally brought it in (and again, I wouldn't be surprised). Or the "reading device" wasn't actually reading your hard drive and is some sort of gimmick to fool people. Warranted this all sounds very cynical but the fact that Hard drives don't wipe/format themselves, and your hard drive is empty, but otherwise functioning fine (data doesn't delete itself and leave an intact file system in the case of a motherboard failure, and a virus doesn't have the low-level access to do that either, nor is a virus really related to windows update), it would lead me to approach anything they say with caution.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.