Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: So Did Staples Rip Me Off?  (Read 14325 times)

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: So Did Staples Rip Me Off?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 11:52:40 PM »
Backing up what BC said, that just doesn't happen by accident. There's no way a virus or Windows update wiped that drive of all data, with no trace of anything at all. In 20 years of working with computers, I have never seen our heard of something like that.

More likely, they tried to restore it before when you brought it in, screwed it up, and are trying to cover their butts.

I'm out on lunch now, but I'm going to send you a private message when I get back to my office and propose something. Hard enough to post from my phone as it is. Haha

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 09:43:57 AM »
    PM sent!
    Alright, so should I call Staples and demand the PC back, or what?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
    Alright, I've actually talked to the technician. He was rather hard to understand, he has a really strong accent. Sounded Indian or something. And I don't think he likes you.

I talked to the store manager first, and explained your dissatisfaction. He said he "couldn't talk tech" with me, because he's just the store manager and wasn't very knowledgeable about that stuff. I asked him if he minded if I talked to the tech myself, and he was more than happy to put him on.

;D

As soon as I told the technician why I was calling, his tone completely changed. At first he wasn't very cooperative and I could tell he didn't want to explain it to me, but I pushed him to explain...... basically, he has no idea what's wrong (he even admitted that eventually) with it and I am inclined to believe he doesn't really know what he's doing.

First he brought up the update thing. Then he tried feeding me a line about a virus killing the motherboard and wiping the hard drive. He said he's seen it happen quite a bit. I asked him to name a single virus that would render a motherboard inoperable and wipe a hard drive. He turned the question around and asked me, I said there isn't one and that was nonsense. Then he tried to bring up the fact that it was dropped 4 months ago and that's caused all the motherboard to fail. I asked him what made him so sure it was just a motherboard failure, then he said something about the video card. I reminded him that laptops don't have video card, it's integrated. Then he finally came out and admitted it. He said, and I quote "I actually don't know what's wrong with it. I've never seen this before," referring to the motherboard dying and the hard drive being empty. He said when he turns it on, nothing happens, so he thinks it's the board.

Unfortunately, the laptop has already been sent off to another place for a proper diagnostic at whatever company they use, apparently by real techs, not him. When they find the issue, supposedly they'll email him and he'll notify you.

He did mention that the normal cost of replacing the board, if that is indeed the issue, is $360, but you're only being charge $100 for some reason he couldn't (or wouldn't) explain to me.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »
      LOL, thanks!
      Yes, he is middle eastern, and really, is clueless.

So let me ask
      1)  What is your opinion of what is going on here?  Do you think he did shotty work the first time?  Do you think he was malicious and destroyed my harddrive?

-Do you think it is possible my data has been wiped out or can be recovered?

2)  What should I do?  Just sit and wait to hear from him OR should I go in and demand it be re-sent back and take it elsewhere?

3)  In terms of you, should I notify you when I get contacted by him?
      Oh, and I raised *censored*, which is why it is $100 bucks (and I might duck out on paying it to I am so mad).

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »
      1)  What is your opinion of what is going on here?  Do you think he did shotty work the first time?  Do you think he was malicious and destroyed my harddrive?

Well, my opinion, as I said, is that he has no idea what he's talking about. If he is responsible for the data loss, I don't think it was maliciousness, more like ignorance.

-Do you think it is possible my data has been wiped out or can be recovered?

I asked him specifically when he checked the drive if the partition was intact and just empty or was there no partition at all. He mumbled a few things, so I asked him again and he said the partition was intact but empty.

2)  What should I do?  Just sit and wait to hear from him OR should I go in and demand it be re-sent back and take it elsewhere?

That's up to you. You'll have to ask them because I'm not sure they can have it sent back once it's already out.

3)  In terms of you, should I notify you when I get contacted by him?
      Oh, and I raised *censored*, which is why it is $100 bucks (and I might duck out on paying it to I am so mad).

Just post back in this thread what they tell you, I'm sure everyone would be interested in hearing it.

The $100 is one of the things I talked to the store manager about actually. I'm supposed to call back later and speak to the sales manager about that, he wasn't in when I called.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
        Thanks man!  Well I am thinking maybe at this point since it is shipped just letting the process run itself and getting back to you when I hear back

I would love it if they gave me a full explanation and could get my data back but prolly easier at this stage to wait and see.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »
        Wow Quaxo, you really went the extra mile, Awesome  ;D
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 12:00:07 PM »
        Outstanding ! !
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
        It was nothing really. I just wanted to hear it from the tech's mouth myself. I have a Skype calling plan for calling my family back in the States, so I get unlimited minutes every month.

That isn't something I typically do here. I just hate seeing places like this jerk people around.

I'll tell you what though, it was worth it just to hear the tech finally say he had no idea what the problem was. I took pleasure in getting him to admit that. Even if I can't get them to eat that last $100, it was still worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed that.  8)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »
          quaxo,as has been well stated exemplary effort --well done.truenorth

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »
            Amen.....I feel better now and have learned my lesson....no big box stores for repairs. 

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 12:35:09 PM »
            I actually had a laugh when the guy asked me, as a tech, how many computers can I actually diagnose and know what's wrong out of every 10? Maybe 5 or 6? I told him if 10 computers are sitting there in front of a tech and he can only figure out what's wrong with 5 or 6 of them, he's not doing his job as a tech.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 01:13:20 PM »
            Very cool!
            I would have told him 10, may 9 on a bad day.

Lisa_maree

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 12:47:39 AM »
            This is really sad,

The only reason you should have been told the data was gone is if the hard drive had failed totally. That is the drive was making a grinding noise.

It seems strange that a hard drive replacement and windows reload is over $200.00. But a motherboard replacement is a $100.00. The drives in the Vio's need the laptop dismantled to remove and replace the drive. It isn't a cover with 2 screws so isn't easy to change . I would wonder if the drive was changed?. I would have thought the motherboard change would cost at least the same as the hard drive. You asked in another forum post about finding a service company you could trust. There is an easy way, run Belarc advisor on the computer while it is going save the html file somewhere safe. After it has been serviced run it again if they say that they replaced the Hard drive then the hard drive serial numbers should be different. If  they replaced the  motherboard then the bios serial numbers should be different.

I sent a laptop in under warrantee when it came back I had to pay for a replacement power supply as apparently it was the cause of the  wireless dropping out. LOL but what i received back was a different serial numbered motherboard and battery, so they had swapped the base of the laptop , with the laptop serial number and wireless id, which didn't match the installed wireless adapter. They hadn't been able to get the hard drive to boot after the change so had done what they did to you and deleted the hard drive and reloaded the OS. I had backed up before sending it in so didn't loose anything. Thanks to Belarc I could proof in the disputes tribunel  that's what they had done. I wanted a new laptop because the parts that had been fitted were from an older revision. But as it was repaired the judgement was for me but no money was awarded. Which i think only encourages businesses to rip people off.  :)

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 12:20:05 AM »
              So I called staples yesterday, they said they did the following:

1) Replaced system board (motherboard)
              2) Replaced hardrive
              3) Restored OS
              4) Repaired Combo drive
              5) Cleaned heat synch and fan

They were waiting for my PC to ship back, so when I asked what the problem was, all they said is what they did.
              I do not get why my hardrive was replaced when I just bought a new one in June!

I don't think I should have to pay for any of this.
              My question to you all, do you have any clue given the history, what the heck was wrong and why my PC went bad with a 3 month old hardrive?

Next question...so do I pretty much now have a new PC?