Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: So Did Staples Rip Me Off?  (Read 14330 times)

truenorth

Guru

Re: So Did Staples Rip Me Off?
    « Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 06:41:32 AM »
    "I don't think I should have to pay for any of this." Without a doubt. "Next question...so do I pretty much now have a new PC?" Given the past interventions and "repairs" that question remains to be seen. It is well nigh impossible to know what was at the basis of the original problem (however it is unlikely that the "diagnosis was accurate and more than likely simply reflected the issues that quaxo  found with the lack of expertise and knowledge displayed by their "technician"). truenorth

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 12:36:23 AM »
      Got the PC back today.

Here is what they did:

1) Replaced optical disk drive
      2) Replaced hard drive
      3) Restores OS
      4) Replaced System Board
      5) Cleaned CPU/VGA fan
      6) Replaced Thermal Pad

They did not give me a print out of the problem, just a report onw hat was wrong.  Somehow, different person was there, and I avaded any charge.

I have no idea why my PC needed a new hardrive since I got one three months ago.
      Any clue what happened given the history?

Bottom line, do I basically have a new PC and am I in the clear?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 07:56:56 AM »
        bluecountry, With all due respect i do not understand why you created post #31 which is essentially the same as your post #29 which i did respond to in post #30. I don't believe ANYONE here can answer your remaining question any differently given the knowledge gained by quaxo's direct communication with Staples on your behalf. Anything proposed would be simply conjecture. patio has provided the answer to your specific issue with your non existent floppy drive. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #33 on: October 11, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »
        ...Bottom line, do I basically have a new PC and am I in the clear?
        Why don't you just use it for a while & see what happens?

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 12:49:17 AM »
        Any clue what happened given the history?

Judging by what they've replace or repaired (essentially everything) it's hard to tell. I think they weren't able to find the real problem so it's hard to tell.

Bottom line, do I basically have a new PC and am I in the clear?

More or less. A lot of repair centers replace parts with refurbished parts they get from the manufacturer. I don't know if that's the case here, but it's possible.

As for being in the clear, only time will tell. Replacement parts that are refurbished are hit and miss. I sent a 4 year old hard drive in a month ago under warranty (5 years) for someone because the drive had failed. Was traded out the same day with a refurbished replacement of the same model. Two weeks later, the refurbished replacement failed (click of death). Took that back and got another drive same day, "certified repaired" drive (according to Seagate's label on the drive) of the same model as the previous two. As far as I know, it has worked since. Still covered under the original warranty too.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
          So far, the PC has been alright, it was a pain in the *censored* having to re-install all my programs, re-do all my settings, and upload all my file (I wish I knew how to automatically backup and restore everything lol).  It has been a bit slow today, and I notice windows everyday keeps prompting me to update, but it works. 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
            Let's hope it continues that way. Enjoy and remember the lesson learned.truenorth

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
              Lesson learned:

1) When PC is broke and needs in person service, use either a certified repair person from Sony (or whatever your manufacter was)

OR

Find an ind 3rd party person, best if they can come to your house.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 06:25:24 PM »
                So lets re-open this topic!

OK, I had a major scare this afternoon.
                Windows Vista updated, after it did, the PC restarted.
                However, when it did, I got a screen that was black with only a cursor moving.

I waited, nothing.

I then unplugged the PC and re-plugged it.
                The PC turned on, but then again, screen black with only a cursor.

Panicing, I tried one more time unplugging....then I replugged...the Sony Vaio image showed, and it booted up, and finished step 3 of 3 in the vista download update.

So...yeh it works now but I am scared.

Back in August, a similar thing happened.  I shut it down, turned it back on, and the screen was black (no cursor then).  Re-started it again, it did turn on.

Then late September:
                So last night, as I shut down the PC, it installs a new version of windows vista updates.
                I go to turn on the PC today.
                Well it turns on, but the screen is totally blank.
                Not to alarmed I am at first, because this happened last month.  However, after trying several times, it will not turn on.

So what gives?  They gave me another "new hardrive" and a "new motherboard" last month, so I thought I was set.

Was this just a fluke or is my PC very unreliable?
                Should I just never update Windows Vista again lol, what gives with my PC having problems every time I update!

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 08:11:47 AM »
                  If you are interrupting the update in any way during the process bad things (like what your experiencing may occur). On the other hand (hopefully not) the question you asked re the degree of "repair" earlier may now becoming more clear. truenorth

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 11:40:40 PM »
                    Why is it that interupting an update can be so bad?

I did not interrupt as far as I know, I did have me external hardrive backing up at the same time and doing a scan, so perhaps this caused a problem?

All in all, is my PC safe or is this a sign it cannot be trusted?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 06:06:03 AM »
                      bluecountry, There are many members on the CH forums that are able to assist others with a great deal of issues. Many are successful some are not. But there is something we ALL share and that is our total inability to foretell the future (something you seem to want to continuously ask us to do). You above all know the history of this computer re the supposed attempts by Staples to "fix" it. Interrupting ANY process during it is NEVER a good idea (particularly program updates).truenorth

soybean

Genius
                      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                      • Experience: Experienced
                      « Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 10:00:53 AM »
                      Interrupting ANY process during it is NEVER a good idea (particularly program updates).truenorth
                      Quite true, and keep in mind some Windows Updates require a restart and the process of completing the installation of the update(s) continues during shutdown and startup and can take some time.  So, I hope you're not failing to recognize that an update installation is actually still in progress and you're interrupting it because you're failing to recognize what's going on.

But, where an update requires a restart and the update is the type that continues the installation process during shutdown and/or startup, you'll normally see a message on your screen warning you not to turn off your computer and it will report the status of progress on screen.  If you see such a message, always heed it.  And, be patient; again, these types of updates can take some time.

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 12:09:22 AM »
                        Will do, ay update from now on I will do without anything which could inadvertantly interrupt (I believe the last one I did, I was also backing up my PC at the same time).

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        • Experience: Beginner
                        « Reply #44 on: November 17, 2011, 06:45:09 AM »
                        As you now probably know those tasks should not be attempted at the same time...
                        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "