Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: repair disc issue  (Read 9998 times)

haus_kat

Re: repair disc issue
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
Presario f761us

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »
More detail please.
Have you already read this:
Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP

haus_kat

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »
yes I've already seen that. I don't need a recovery disc. I already have one and it failed to properly install. As I've read via many articles on Google, this is apparently a common problem with Compaq computers and once the disc fails to properly re-install the operating system and erases the boot manager then the only option is to obtain another complete copy of the OS. So now I have to buy one :(

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »
This is with regard to making n repair CD  for Windows VISTA. There was a change made to VISTA where he can no longer create a complete install DVD from the operating system itself. Instead, what you can make is a repair disk that is really a repair tool, not a complete new installation.

Would be interested to know what the information is based on. My laptop (HP Pavilion dv6917) came with Vista and it created a complete set of discs (4 DVDs (also has option for 12 CDs instead) including all of the programs and the OS. It was also made within the OS. The only limit being that I can only ever make 1 set of recover discs.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »
You may want to check this site. It is apparently legal. It does not include a product key or any kind of hack. It is not free.
http://systemdiscs.com/
They claim the downloads for both Vista and Windows 7 are available from that site.

As to who said the  can not do a full install copy of Vista, I am going to look into my notes to see where I found that.

haus_kat

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »
I don't yet have any Vista disc so in the meantime I used diskpart to make another partition and tried installing a copy of XP that I have which was intended for a Dell laptop (my old one). I'm not sure what happened but it doesn't look right and won't allow me to select settings for the monitor's original screen resolution so everything looks weird and stretched and is not the original setting (which was higher). The screen resolution is limited to some rather low setting. Hmm. I'm thinking this must be because the proper drivers are missing now? I looked on Compaq's website but all the drivers for this model laptop say they are for Window Vista (of course). Most do not list compatibility with XP.

I downgraded to Widows 2000 from XP before on a different computer and didn't have such issues. I had just gotten the drivers from the manufacturer website and there was no problem after that with getting the hardware to work/look right.

If I install the drivers anyway, would that make things worse since they were intended for Vista?

edit #1: Even though I formatted the new partition in diskpart after I made it, the XP installation asked me if I wanted to format something. I thought it wanted to reformat the partition for some fussy reason so I selected that option to get on with things because it was late and I was tired of hassling with this. I'd already had to waste time with trying to use diskpart because I was used to fdisk and didn't even know there was something different now and had to look up the commands on Google.  It seems it might have reformatted the entire drive and not just the partition I'd made. :/

edit #2: I checked and it seems this is what happened and now the Dell copy of XP is on the drive and there are no other partitions. It is formatted NTFS. Is that right or should it have been FAT? I can't remember now because it's been several years since I'e had to make a partition and install an OS.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:37:47 AM by haus_kat »

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 01:22:33 AM »
I don't yet have any Vista disc so in the meantime I used diskpart to make another partition and tried installing a copy of XP that I have which was intended for a Dell laptop (my old one). I'm not sure what happened but it doesn't look right and won't allow me to select settings for the monitor's original screen resolution so everything looks weird and stretched and is not the original setting (which was higher). The screen resolution is limited to some rather low setting. Hmm. I'm thinking this must be because the proper drivers are missing now? I looked on Compaq's website but all the drivers for this model laptop say they are for Window Vista (of course). Most do not list compatibility with XP.

I downgraded to Widows 2000 from XP before on a different computer and didn't have such issues. I had just gotten the drivers from the manufacturer website and there was no problem after that with getting the hardware to work/look right.

If I install the drivers anyway, would that make things worse since they were intended for Vista?

edit #1: Even though I formatted the new partition in diskpart after I made it, the XP installation asked me if I wanted to format something. I thought it wanted to reformat the partition for some fussy reason so I selected that option to get on with things because it was late and I was tired of hassling with this. I'd already had to waste time with trying to use diskpart because I was used to fdisk and didn't even know there was something different now and had to look up the commands on Google.  It seems it might have reformatted the entire drive and not just the partition I'd made. :/

edit #2: I checked and it seems this is what happened and now the Dell copy of XP is on the drive and there are no other partitions. It is formatted NTFS. Is that right or should it have been FAT? I can't remember now because it's been several years since I'e had to make a partition and install an OS.

The Dell disc has likely wiped your hard drive and restored it to what it thought it should be. It's not functioning correctly because that disc was made for a specific Dell machine with specific hardware. It also is not licensed for any other machine.

haus_kat

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 03:21:21 AM »
Now if I type "list disk" it lists one disk (disk 0) and gives the size as 128gb with 0 byte of free space. Hmm. The OS takes up 3gb on the drive and there is absolutely nothing else installed.

I wanted to make a partition so that if I go to "Computer" in Windows XP I'd have a "C" drive that was most of the space and a "D" drive of about 12gb in size. How do I do this now?

I had another computer which recently died (an old Compaq). Before it died I had copied the entire contents of it's "D" drive to a USB card. On the drive was the Windows XP OS for Compaq computers. After making this new partition I wanted to try to get it to install that copy of Windows XP (I still have the key from the sticker on the dead laptop) to over-write the Dell copy that I have currently installed. Could I even remotely do this?

I should note that "recovery" disks were never made for the old Compaq and when I recently tried to do that (before it died) it wouldn't allow it because the recovery disk creator software that came with the computer would only recognize the CD-Rom drive that came with that computer and it was inoperative at that time. All I could do was copy "D" drive to an SD card and that drive's data was about 8gb of space in size and the drive was 12gb in size.

I'm hoping that if I could get this to work that I wouldn't have to buy another copy of Windows Vista (as I really can't afford it atm).

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »
not to hijack post, but...

assuming you have legal key (i.e., came with computer you bought OR you already bought a copy of windows, but happened to have lost/misplaced the disc)

is it legal to download a copy of the disc / ISO off of a torrent site in this case?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 07:30:05 PM »
not to hijack post, but...
assuming you have legal key (i.e., came with computer you bought OR you already bought a copy of windows, but happened to have lost/misplaced the disc)
is it legal to download a copy of the disc / ISO off of a torrent site in this case?
This forum does not encourage any P2P service. In some cases a P2P transfer is legal. Far too often nit is not. Besides, you can get a replacement media from the computer maker. And it will be free of virus or Trojan threats.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »
to me, it seems like it's same as having made a copy of original disk (for backup purposes), not piracy of that kind, which I'm sure is legal for personal usage.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »
to me, it seems like it's same as having made a copy of original disk (for backup purposes), not piracy of that kind, which I'm sure is legal for personal usage.
Yes, you can make a backup of our original disc. You should do that when you first get the computer, not when the things crashes.  To be safe, borrow a disc from friend that has the same band of computer. However, many now do not come with a DVD, You have to make a copy.

If you have a computer problem, please start your own thread.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
Yes, you can make a backup of our original disc. You should do that when you first get the computer, not when the things crashes.  To be safe, borrow a disc from friend that has the same band of computer. However, many now do not come with a DVD, You have to make a copy.

If you have a computer problem, please start your own thread.

no, no computer problem, I just wondered. that is all.  ;D Have a good day Geek-9pm and back to haus-kat's problem.