Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU is over heating.  (Read 4296 times)

ANSI

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    CPU is over heating.
    « on: October 11, 2011, 04:14:30 AM »
    Sometimes when I turn on my desktop the CPU fan goes at very high speed and the CPU temp is 106. I have checked and there is no dust. I do not think it is the heatsink as it does not happen all the time. It is a Medion 8341 running Windows 7. Has anyone any ideas as to what may be the cause.

The computer is not used for intensive work/games and anyway this happens at start up before such work could be started

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: CPU is over heating.
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:09:58 AM »
    http://superuser.com/questions/55632/cpu-temperature-sensor-wrong
    I read this anecdote from another person experiencing extremely high temperatures.
    I do not think it is the heatsink as it does not happen all the time. It is a Medion 8341 running Windows 7. Has anyone any ideas as to what may be the cause.
    Is it possible to check your temps from your BIOS? It could very well be the heatsink not making firm contact with the CPU-when the temps go insanely high, put your finger on the heatsink-is it cold? Could you try with another heatsink and fan just to make sure? Try reapplying your thermal paste; dried-up thermal paste will not conduct heat effectively.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:15:25 AM »
    ... the CPU temp is 106.
    Is that Centigrade or Fahrenheit? 

ANSI

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:59:41 AM »
      Is that Centigrade or Fahrenheit?
      C

ANSI

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
        http://superuser.com/questions/55632/cpu-temperature-sensor-wrong
        I read this anecdote from another person experiencing extremely high temperatures.Is it possible to check your temps from your BIOS? It could very well be the heatsink not making firm contact with the CPU-when the temps go insanely high, put your finger on the heatsink-is it cold? Could you try with another heatsink and fan just to make sure? Try reapplying your thermal paste; dried-up thermal paste will not conduct heat effectively.
        Yes the BIOS confirms the temp at 106c but there is never any heat, always cool air blowing out of it even when the temp is said to be high and the fan doing over 2000 rpm. That is a very interesting link thanks. But my PC is OK today and yesterday and I did not reset the heatsink. If it was that would it not be overheating all the time?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 05:15:11 PM »
        Here is an item of interest.
        Real Temp is a temperature monitoring program designed for all Intel single Core, Dual Core and Quad Core processors. Each core on these processors has a digital thermal sensor (DTS) that reports temperature data relative to TJMax which is the safe maximum operating core temperature for the CPU. ...

The first problem is that TJMax is not a clearly defined value. Intel released a lot of information last year but they now refer to this data as TJ Target. Actual TJMax for any processor can either be equal to TJ Target or in some cases it might be slightly higher than the Intel listed TJ Target. Unfortunately, Intel did not provide the user community with any information about how much TJMax tends to vary. ...

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
        Unplug it if it's 106C...

I suggest getting a 2nd reading...SpeedFan is Free...as is Speccy
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "