Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WINE question  (Read 11316 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: WINE question
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 02:25:54 PM »
Thanks for info... Guess I will stick with Microsoft for games. Personally I have been using Microsoft for almost 30 years since DOS 2.11 way way back, prior to that was Tandy's Disk Operating System on a Trash 80 with cassette loads...lol  I have no problems with Microsoft, and have paid many thousands of dollars to them for licensing and OS over the years. The $ in place of the S was just to be funny, not to state that MS is evil..lol   Just that it costs money, and I like Free better, ONLY AS LONG AS FREE IS LEGAL. I dont bother with crackedware etc. Not worth the risk of getting busted. Guess I wont be severing my dependency on Microsoft in the near future for OS's since I am a gamer and so I have to stick with what the gaming industry uses as their supported platforms.

Back in college I was surrounded by a large group who were all Linux is the ultimate OS and nothing is better. They urged me to go to a Linux show in Boston where you can bring a computer with you and they would put the next best distro on it for you to walk out with the ultimate OS in their eyes. I decided not to go because I didnt have a spare computer that was capable of the newest distro and had college projects that needed to be attended to on a full course load, plus working 2 jobs living on my own in my own home. So I didnt have the flexability and money they had to burn.

For the fact that I stayed the course of Windows 98SE into Windows XP Pro while they stayed the course of Linux and shunned my not switching to the ultimate OS in their eyes, I thought maybe I was being biased in not switching. Now I realize that Linux is great in what it is capable of, but still has lots of limitations in the gaming aspects, and that it really comes down to personal preference for OS as well as sticking with the OS that the creator if the game created it for than trying to run it emulated etc unless I want to run into troubles.

Today I use Linux for web surfing, e-mail, and as a tool to fix troubled Windows systems hard drives. I guess I will stick with Linux as a workstation and tool vs the #1 solution to all aspects of my computing needs, which I had originally assumed it could easily be using WINE.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »
Back in college I was surrounded by a large group who were all Linux is the ultimate OS and nothing is better.

These are your typical Linux zealot. They ignore any and all faults with Linux and it's selections of software, pump up any minor advantage (usually comparing modern distros to falsehoods about how windows works) and dismiss any and all advantages of windows by virtue of Stallman not giving it his holy FSF blessing.

As I've said before, and I will again- any person who get's to the point of thinking any OS is better than any other has already lost. They only make that conclusion based on biased information about their "favourite", and are often blind to it's shortcomings, while also presenting ad hoc falsifications about other systems.

Operating Systems are software. The fact that people can feel so strongly that they become zealots about a bloody operating system or some specious and vaguely defined notion of "freedom" expressed as if it is some sort of holy crusade Is just bloody ridiculous. FreeBSD is a good OS because it is designed with Security in Mind. Windows is a good OS because it's flexible and works on a lot of hardware. The primary thing Linux has going for it on the desktop to most people is pretty much that it "isn't Windows" which as far as I'm concerned isn't exactly enough to qualify it as the "ultimate" Operating System.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Roguebantha

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
I know no one's posted in here in awhile but I found it necessary to defend my OS  ;D

Yes, Linux has its downfalls. Most typical programs won't run on it. (By the way, World of Warcraft got a Platinum rating running through Wine so it is safe to say that you would most likely that you should have no problems at all with it. In fact, WoW rates as one of the best Wine running games of all time. No joke.) but having few programs able to run means you never have to worry about getting virused or having malware or any of that stuff. Linux is both a blessing and a curse and while in the beginning, I hated Linux with all my heart since I didn't know how to use it, ever since I started getting used to it, I love it more and more. It is very fast. My Linux system (which is about 10 years old) boots up in 21 seconds from the time that I hit the power button till the time it showed the login screen. Also, once you get familiar with Linux and your computer running it, you will crash it once in a lifetime. I would suggest it if you are willing to work for something cool. :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 08:28:18 PM »
Myself, I spent a lot of time and effort promoting Linux a few years ago. I not longer use it on a regular basis. When I have a particular thing I want to do, I will bring up Linux for something that matters to me.

For a number of areas, Linux has already established itself. Any more competition with Windows will not make it any better.  Running Windows applications under Linux may violate copyright laws. The Linux community has no good reason to get into that kind of stuff. As mentioned, ReactOS has been tested and is useful with some important Windows applications.

The is no future in WINE.

More relevant issue is can Windows 8 compere with Linux in embedded systems, like tablet firmware.  (Example: Android)

Roguebantha

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »
I doubt it, Linux gets a lot smaller than windows does.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 11:53:53 AM »
I doubt it, Linux gets a lot smaller than windows does.
What does that mean?
For embedded systems, Linux has a good position.
For the desktop it is limited.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
The is no future in WINE.

There are a lot of people who would disagree with that statement!
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 09:46:12 AM »
The kink given above is fro the Wine Wiki.
Here is the reply for the other side of the aisle.
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79785
So I will put a short thing on my Blog  about how one might go Linux or Windows but don't try to fuse them together. Really pointless. Like putting a Honda engine bin a Ford.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 05:41:28 AM »
Déjà vu.

ReactOS is alpha.  WINE is far more mature.  A lot of people (like me) hope that ReactOS will one day be ready for prime time, but it's not there yet.  Compare attempting to install Office 2010 under ReactOS (you can't - it's not even on the roadmap) with installing it under WINE (you can).  This is just one of many many real-world reasons why WINE will remain considerably more relevant than ReactOS for some time to come.  Note that ReactOS has nothing that's equivalent to CrossOver.

I for one will continue cheering on ReactOS, because I am 100% behind what they have set out to achieve.

Really pointless. Like putting a Honda engine bin a Ford.

There may be some reasons why people might want to do such a thing.  But I think a better analogy would be putting a Honda engine into a Caterham or other owner-built car and there are many reasons why an owner would make such a choice.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos