Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What Hard Drive  (Read 2331 times)

Crafty

What Hard Drive
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:10:53 AM »
I know its peoples diffrent opinions about what hard drive to get but wich would you choose out of these. Maxtor, Seagate, Samsung.

Raptor

Re: What Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 12:34:30 PM »
So far, I have had only two Hard Disk Drives that I can recall and made serious use of:

30 GB Seagate 5400RPM with 2MB cache (Approx. 4 years old)
80GB Maxtor 7200RPM with 8MB cache. (Approx. 2 years old)

No corrupt sectors, no other problems.

Both are very reliable and durable.

Seagate technical support and diagnostic software is more than outstanding.

The Seashield around the HDD makes it very sturdy and allows you to move the Hard Disk Drive around with little trouble should you ever find the need to.

The Maxtor seems to perform excellent under stressful and negligent situations. Which I have had exposed to for at least a year. I rarely used to defrag until two approximately 3 months ago.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 12:36:05 PM by Raptor »

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 08:54:34 AM »
Thankyou for the reply. Can i ask one more thing as im just not sure if to upgrade or not. I use my computer mainly for games. I have Amd 2600, 80 gig hard drive, Geforce fx 5900 xt, 1024 memory DDR 3200. Mother board is msi k7n2 Delta nforce 2 chipset based. Now what i was wondering is what makes games run better. Does the motherboard have any effect as to how games run, by that i mean would i be ok just getting a Amd 3500 for this board, or would i see alot of diffrence in game play if i got a new Motherboard with a Amd Athlon 64 3500. Would the latest mainboards make things run alot quicker.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 08:57:31 AM by Crafty »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 09:51:57 AM »
Videocards play by far the largest role in computer performance regarding games.

However, if your mainboard can not efficiently work with your videocard because it will not allow you to install a faster processor (for example), the mainboard will become the bottleneck. You have to be very careful when upgrading. You might buy a piece of hardware that is capable of delivering much more, but because certain hardware is holding it back, you will not notice much or any improvement at all.

In order to fully understand this, you will have to do a lot of research regarding your own hardware and know your computer thoroughly.