Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard disk  (Read 22153 times)

aarkrao

Topic Starter

Rookie

External Hard disk
    « on: October 25, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »
    I would like to purchase an external hard disk (budget Rs. 3000/-) and if available with an external-booting facility. What model / type / make should I go in for? Whether the external booting system is available? Can I simply purcahse it across the counter and format it at home myself (I format HDD in my PC).

Any other advice  also is welcome and will be treated as valuable.

[p.s. the above item is for my gifting to a college student who is a relative of mine].

Regards

RKR

bobsklarservices

Beginner

• Time is of the essence.
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: External Hard disk
      « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
      I won't advise you on which one you should choose, but I will tell you what I have.
      I have a Western Digital My Passport Essential 070a, holds 300GB and supports USB 3.0, it's durable and overall, I just have not ever met one better. That's not to say that I have used every external hard drive on the planet, so I would advise that you do some research.
      Work to be all you can be. You define your limits!

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »
      Western Digital external hdds are good and they are pretty much the standard. If you go to the store, that's probably what you are going to find. I have one 500GB and one 1TB, both I have been using for about a year. I have not tried to boot from them, but I am pretty sure you would have no problem. If you install an OS on it, then you have to make sure that it is an OS that will work with different comps unless you just want to use it on one comp (in which case the purpose of an external hdd would be pointless).
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
        When looking to purchase an external HDD a primary factor should be what you intend to use it for. That determination will guide you in assessing the volume size you should obtain. Drives are available now up to at least 3 tb. I have externals that were created from internals that i no longer was using (means putting them in an enclosure). I have drives that were created as externals. My most recent purchase (about a week ago) was a WD My Passport USB 2.0 250 Gb. My primary reason for buying that particular one was due to it's extremely small size. I intend to use it primarily with a laptop so it is more advantageous to carry around as it is so much smaller than the other 2 types i also use (not a great deal larger than a flash drive plus with 250gb it was cheaper than a 32 gb flash drive). When you do make up your mind as to what you want do some on-line searching for the best price as depending on where you live there can be lots of variance in the cost. truenorth
        P.S. Almost forgot the other part of your questions. I formated and partitioned the WD to my liking. Was NOT necessary just wanted my own choices rather than WD's.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
        Just a heads up if you select the My Book or My Passport WD HDD...do NOT install the software for it...
        Run it as a native HDD.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aarkrao

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
          Thank you friends for your kind advice. It is really helpful.

Regards

RKR