Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Anti Virus program useable with Windows ME  (Read 4079 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Anti Virus program useable with Windows ME
    « on: October 29, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »
    My wife continues to use a computer with win ME. Up until very recently she has been using Avast. However they have just advised that Avast no longer supports ME. I have done extensive searching for an alternative. So far the only one i was able to find is "ClamWin". However it has a very major drawback--it will only scan folders manually selected. There is no real time scan option with it. Does anyone know of any usable real time anti virus scanner than will still work with Win ME? Thank you,truenorth
    Please do NOT respond with she needs to upgrade to a more recent O/S. She has other computers with XP and Win 7 on them but she still likes/wants to use the ME one as well.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Anti Virus program useable with Windows ME
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:16:47 PM »
    This might seem a bit reckless, but as long as all the important data is backed up, you could try and see what happens without an AV at all.

Windows 9x doesn't really show up as a prime target anymore, for new malware; (actually, in that sense, you would probably be able to live with just the unsupported AV product).

updates to an AV add new definitions so the product can find more viruses; while I have nothing to support this, I don't see windows 9x being a big target these days; Windows Vista and 7 are the new targets that malware authors would go after, and things written for NT aren't typically something that works the same on windows 9x, especially low level things like what a virus would typically do. The operating environments are similar but are full of gotchas (to that, I can definitely attest first-hand) that require due care and attention, neither of which are usually paid with your average malware program.

Another suggestion might be to go with clamwin and use task scheduler to schedule a full scan at some time where the machine won't be in use but might be on.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 02:53:16 PM »
      BC, Again i am indebted for your help. Your conclusion re the vulnerability (lack of) of her O/S was frequently put forth during my search on the internet for a usable alternative. I certainly concur with your logic. I cannot see any mileage for malicious virus creators to place any effort into an old O/S like ME. Her habit of use is to only use the wireless adapter when she needs to go on-line otherwise she removes it. Also that particular computer is very seldom used and when it is not it is turned off. I have read your reply to her and she also sees the wisdom of it and her fear level has diminished considerably. 
       On your suggestion re ClamWin. We of course are not familiar with it other than what i have read. However re the suggestion you made re the virus scans. I may have not understood what it does and doesn't do entirely. But i gathered the impression that the only thing that could be scheduled was the update function and scanning--but only insofar as a time. It seemed that the user still had to manually select what was to be scanned at the time chosen at the actual moment of the scan. I could be mistaken about that. Thanks again,truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »
      But i gathered the impression that the only thing that could be scheduled was the update function and scanning--but only insofar as a time. It seemed that the user still had to manually select what was to be scanned at the time chosen at the actual moment of the scan. I could be mistaken about that. Thanks again
      For task scheduler, clamwin can be made to scan using it's command line program, "clamscan.exe" via a batch file. I'm sure if you choose to take this route I or another member could help you with such a configuration.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »
        BC, Yes because it is an open source program i would imagine that competent people could have it do various things. However i read your gracious offer to "she who must be obeyed" and  the immediate response was "forget it". I have only very recently  been allowed to put my hands on it (but with a very short leash). Were it mine i would certainly accept your offer so as to advance my very limited knowledge in the programming arena. Thanks again,truenorth