Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP problems & SP2/IE problems  (Read 6494 times)

bhaton

XP problems & SP2/IE problems
« on: September 09, 2005, 01:27:11 PM »
 just purchased a Dimension 3000 desktop.  It was preloaded with XP with SP2.  I am having a few different problems.
First, I am having huge problems getting webpages containing Java scripts to load.  I went to the Java website and did download the newest version of Java.  I installed it and by going back to the Java website it confirms that it installed correctly.  If any link contains a javascript nothing happens when I click it, I get something like javascript() on the bottom of the browser.  I also cannot verify my windows on the microsoft pages.  I went through the directX download and it seemed to download fine, but then said my brower wasn't capable of continuing that route, so it directed me to another route.  When I clicked on that script all it did was open up a new blank window and did nothing.  I have set *.microsoft.com in the safe zone.

Secondly, I get nothing when I click on the Dell help and support button on my start up menu.  It loads nothing, no menus, etc...   I also cannot search for files or folders, this brings up the window and the dog, but it is a blank blue box, with no menus I can click anywhere and all it does is make the dog scratch.  

This is my first experience with the XP and it is pretty frustrating right now.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Raptor

Re: XP problems & SP2/IE problems
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »
Did you download the latest updates for Internet Explorer?

You may need to do the following:

1. Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. Security tab
6. Reset all security zones to Default

And/or

1. Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. Advanced
6. Restore Defaults button.

You may need to do the following as well

1. Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Internet Options
5. General tab
6. Remove cookies, temporary files and history

But, the best solution of all; Mozilla Firefox

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 03:34:47 PM »
     bhaton
    I am having huge problems getting webpages containing Java scripts to load.  I went to the Java website and did download the newest version of Java.

Does that comment mean that you cant get these pages to open or they are slow opening.

open IE and click on tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab .........then scroll down until you see Java ( sun) and make sure there is a tick in the box ...then click apply and ok.
    I also cannot verify my windows on the microsoft pages.  I went through the directX download and it seemed to download fine, but then said my brower wasn't capable of continuing that route, so it directed me to another route.  When I clicked on that script all it did was open up a new blank window and did nothing.  I have set *.microsoft.com in the safe zone.

Did you purchase this Dell new ?
    If it wasnt new it's possible the O/S installed is not legit .

Secondly, I get nothing when I click on the Dell help and support button on my start up menu.  It loads nothing, no menus, etc...   I also cannot search for files or folders, this brings up the window and the dog, but it is a blank blue box, with no menus I can click anywhere and all it does is make the dog scratch.

It almost sounds like you may have to reinstall windows XP again ......... unless you have been on line without any virus protection.

Do you have the original install/Restore disks that Dell would have shipped with the pc ?

let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 03:36:34 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

bhaton

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 03:46:29 PM »
    bhaton

Does that comment mean that you cant get these pages to open or they are slow opening.

open IE and click on tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab .........then scroll down until you see Java ( sun) and make sure there is a tick in the box ...then click apply and ok.

Did you purchase this Dell new ?
    If it wasnt new it's possible the O/S installed is not legit .

It almost sounds like you may have to reinstall windows XP again ......... unless you have been on line without any virus protection.

Do you have the original install/Restore disks that Dell would have shipped with the pc ?

let us know

The webpage will not open if I try and verify windows.  Like I said it will go through and download the DirectX (I think that's the tool it uses) and then tells me that the IE will not support using that way to verify it.  So, I click on the link for the secondary method, it asks if I want to run the script I say open, I get a new blank window and nothing else happens.  I checked to make sure that the Java box was checked.  I thought that maybe I had to have the newest Java to get it to run, so I did that (I did all of this verification on my computer at work that has Windows 2000 on it with no problems).  

The computer is new, not a refurbished model.  I ordered it directly from Dell, just got it last Friday.  I was wondering if there was something I did (or couldn't figure out) that was causing the problem or if it wasn't installed correctly from them for some reason.  It was having those problems before I ever got online and I did make sure all my virus software was up and running before I did log online.  They didn't ship a restore disk with the computer, but I'm going to call them and see what they can do.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions and will try the mozilla firefox   :)

Mac

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 03:57:37 PM »
    Which Anti-Virus program are you using, and are you ALSO using the customary anti-Trojan freeware such as AdAware SE, SpyBot SD & SpywareBlaster?

bhaton

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 04:05:50 PM »
    Which Anti-Virus program are you using, and are you ALSO using the customary anti-Trojan freeware such as AdAware SE, SpyBot SD & SpywareBlaster?

I have Norton Utilities.  I had installed the AdAware SE as I can get it through the University for free, but thought it might be part of the problem so I uninstalled it, but I can reinstall it if that's not a problem.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 04:25:31 PM »
      bhaton.......
      I had installed the AdAware SE as I can get it through the University for free, but thought it might be part of the problem so I uninstalled it, but I can reinstall it if that's not a problem.

Ok ....... first of all you can D/L Ad-Aware SE free online .
      then ....I am assumming this issue is only occurring when you are online at the university ...is that correct .

If thats the case there may be nothing wrong with your pc ...it could well be the network you are connecting thru.

I very much doubt Ad-Aware is causing the issue .......reinstall it .

Did I read you correctly when you said you didnt receive the o/S disks from Dell ....... if thats the case .....get on the phone to them ASAP ......... Did you receive any disks from Dell with your pc ?

It was having those problems before I ever got online and I did make sure all my virus software was up and running before I did log online.

There is no way you could have had those problems with java .......... unless you were on line ......... AND you claim you weren't

let us know

« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 04:33:01 PM by dl65 »

bhaton

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 04:48:57 PM »
      bhaton.......

Ok ....... first of all you can D/L Ad-Aware SE free online .
      then ....I am assumming this issue is only occurring when you are online at the university ...is that correct .

If thats the case there may be nothing wrong with your pc ...it could well be the network you are connecting thru.

I very much doubt Ad-Aware is causing the issue .......reinstall it .

Did I read you correctly when you said you didnt receive the o/S disks from Dell ....... if thats the case .....get on the phone to them ASAP ......... Did you receive any disks from Dell with your pc ?

There is no way you could have had those problems with java .......... unless you were on line ......... AND you claim you weren't

let us know

I get the AdAware Professional SE through the university, not sure if that's any different than what's free online.  They have the security programs they recommend for us to install on all computers on campus, so I just went there first I guess.  I can dial in to the university's server from home for free so that's why I set it up to do that.  Maybe I should just try the free trial for MSN or AOL and see if I still get the same problems?
      Yes I did not get any Windows XP CD from dell.  Online it says that there is a PC Restore function on all new dells so that I would not need it, so I didn't order it (Looking back probably a dumb decision).  I received 3 CDs with the computer, one for the monitor, printer, and Corel Wordperfect.
      I have read a lot the past few days about some problems with IE and Java with the new SP2 pack, so I figured that was the problem.  
      Sorry, I meant the problems with the support and help system from dell not loading and unable to search for files and folders in XP, basic windows functions not working properly.  I should have clarified that.  After all my virus software was installed I logged online and then went to microsoft to get windows verified, that's when the problems started.  I'm really sorry, I've never had any problems like this that I had absolutely no clue how to fix before.  Thanks for all of your help!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 05:22:13 PM »
        bhaton.... I'm a bit curious as to what country you got your Dell in ....... because , if you have a hard drive failure ...say after your 1 yr. warrantee has lapsed , what do you use to reinstall your operating system . You dont . Dell usually ships one of their propritory cds with all new pcs which has  install / restore files on it .

I get the AdAware Professional SE through the university, not sure if that's any different than what's free online.
        the free version of Ad-aware SE is the personal version .....the pro version is just slightly differant .

I have read a lot the past few days about some problems with IE and Java with the new SP2 pack, so I figured that was the problem

What you have read is probably related to security issues ..........however if you have the latest M/S updates .....( make sure your auto updates is enabled )
        You shouldn't have problems with IE ........and SP2 provided it's properly up dated works flawlessly.

Sorry, I meant the problems with the support and help system from dell not loading and unable to search for files and folders in XP

If you want to search for files in XP ........simply click on start / search  ......and when the search window opens enter your search info in the appropriate box then press
        search ........ you dont need Dell for that .

I would be phoning Dell and have them.... either tell you how to correct these issues or DEMAND a replacement pc or a full refund .

bhaton

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 05:37:34 PM »
        bhaton.... I'm a bit curious as to what country you got your Dell in ....... because , if you have a hard drive failure ...say after your 1 yr. warrantee has lapsed , what do you use to reinstall your operating system . You dont . Dell usually ships one of their propritory cds with all new pcs which has  install / restore files on it .
        the free version of Ad-aware SE is the personal version .....the pro version is just slightly differant .

What you have read is probably related to security issues ..........however if you have the latest M/S updates .....( make sure your auto updates is enabled )
        You shouldn't have problems with IE ........and SP2 provided it's properly up dated works flawlessly.

If you want to search for files in XP ........simply click on start / search  ......and when the search window opens enter your search info in the appropriate box then press
        search ........ you dont need Dell for that .

I would be phoning Dell and have them.... either tell you how to correct these issues or DEMAND a replacement pc or a full refund .

I live in the U.S., and ordered in in the U.S.  I just got the computer last week.  This is the ordering option (I cut and pasted it directly from the dell website) when I placed my computer order:

PC Restore recovery solution by Symantec® comes pre-installed on your computer's hard drive. If you require CDs to perform advanced tasks chose the CD for the operating system you selected above.

I didn't figure that I'd be doing much advanced tasks, so I didn't order the CD (like I said really dumb looking back).

I can't make sure I have the most current updates.  It will not let me verify my windows software, so I cannot get past that point.  I wanted to set it to check for updates daily, but I can't get to that point either.  Microsoft.com will not even scan my computer to see if I need updates.

Searching for files..when I do click on that I get a blank screen, no input boxes to type file or folder names, nothing.  I am able to browse folders and files, just like the my computer function, but where the input boxes are supposed to be on the left hand side of the window is solid blue, with a dog at the bottom.   I try to click on it thinking that will do something, but it will not.

I will be on the phone with Dell as soon as I get home from work tonight.  Thanks for you help.

Mac

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 05:49:42 PM »
        A couple of links for you. You may need them one day.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151

If the Dell PC Restore function no longer works automatically, there are alternatives that may work.
        http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

Just a little advice.

I learnt never to rely on the OEM Restore function because if the drive should fail you lose the restore image mentioned in these articles.

Difficult when you have a computer which is still under warranty but anyway here goes.

I don't know if the DELL Restore allows you to choose which software to install, like Packard-Bell's Smart Restore, or if you just have to install everything.

If you do get an option I would probably choose not to install the anti-virus program if it can be installed at a later time as it can affect partitioning operations.

Your having problems already so, if it was me, I would call DELL support.

If you don't get them saying to do a factory restore I'll be surprised.

I would do it off-line with all peripherals and your modem disconnected.

When it is done, and take any option to partition if it is offered to you, and before going online I would ensure that everything is working, Help and Support, Search, and any and all other program functions.

Re-boot and run through it all again, still NOT connected to the internet and with NO updates applied.

Run chkdsk and defrag the drive.

If you managed to partition the drive the next bit is not a problem. If this option was not offered then there are third party programs which will do this job for you. I use BootIT NG and Image for Windows/Image for DOS because these programs are good value and regularly updated plus the service is exemplary to date.

Make a drive image of this basic installation on CDRs or a data DVD.

If the Restore capability ever fails, which does happen, you can use these to restore the system.

If you ONLY use the word - user - to do the install then anyone else can do the same when you come to sell the machine on using these disks.

Now add your anti-virus, make sure that the firewall is on connect the modem and FIRST OF ALL update the anti-virus program and run a full scan as it takes just one second to get infected.

Add the freeware program AdAware SE update that and run a full scan.

Now go to the Microsoft update site and fully update the operating system.

Get everything to your liking and when it is make a - second - drive image. This will be your working basic restore image.

From those articles you'll see that people do precisely this. With Packard-Bell you can - make - the three Master CDs from the hidden partition, run checksums on them to verify that the data is good and then the partition is revealed as - Restdone D:

With PB you really need to delete the partion, re-partition the drive and re-format before re-installing.

This way you gain 4 GB of drive-space.

Maybe it is the same with DELL and, hopefully, an experienced DELL user will give you his/her ideas on recovery and drive imaging.

Last time I deleted a hidden partition I use BootiT NGs partition resizer to shrink the drive down to a reasonably sized drive C: (10240 MB in this case) and then was able to use XP's Disk Management to make an Extended Partition with a Logical drive D: which could then be formatted from the Disk Management console as well.

DELL has a hidden diagnostic partition as well it appears. You should NOT delete that one!

Just remember your warranty.

If you check out the DELL site you can punch in your Service TAG number and get a reinstallation guide.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1126302448