Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: JavaScript does not work on Windows 7 Machines  (Read 21199 times)

oterrya

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: JavaScript does not work on Windows 7 Machines
    « Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »

I have reregistered jscript and vbscript (successfully).

I ran MCPR.exe McAfee removel tool again.  I scanned its log.  It removed some McAfee modules and some registry links this time too.  I find that puzzling.  If fixed some registry links also.  (Why are they still there?)

Net result -- JavaScript is still failing.

I thought about an infection.  Because of the timing, I wonder if it wasnot somehing that was controlled by McAfee / Norton (on the laptop) until that brief moment when they were uninstalled. 

If I can find a root kit checker, I will try that also.  I hope I do not need JavaScript to navigate the Web Pages.

I will try your Chrome and Firefox links in the morning -- no, later this morning -- when I am fresher.

I think I am going to sleep on this.  If you come up with any more ideas, I will try them tomorrow also.

Thanks for your continuing help.

. . . . Terry.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 02:19:11 AM »
    Apparently others have had this issue.
    How to Enable JavaScript in Windows 7
    By Craig Witt, eHow Contributor
    updated March 31, 2011
    JavaScript is a browser-based scripting language used by millions of websites. It allows programmers to create Web pages capable of delivering dynamic functionality and in-page refreshing that can be interpreted by any modern browser. Because JavaScript has often been used to deploy pop-ups and other distracting page elements, some users opt to disable the technology. Fortunately, whether you use Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera or Safari on your Windows 7 computer, you can re-enable JavaScript with only a few clicks. ...
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8132036_enable-javascript-windows-7.html

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 06:10:37 AM »
    I rarely suggest this but at this point you should consider a wipe and a clean install...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oterrya

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
      to Geek:
      That is the first thng I checked -- on both machines.  Even though, if that had been true, I would have expected different behaviour on both machines.

to patio:
      It may come to that.  I would like to identify the problem first to ensure it does not happen again.  Also I need to inventory and make sure I have all of my software keys saved so I can avoid a massive expense. 

--------

I still have the test using Firefox and Chrome to try.   I have had an interesting two days -- totally unrelated to these computer issues.
      . . . . Terry.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
      Then check if all Java are properly installed.
      Please disregard my advice on this.  :-X

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »
      OK. I don't know the answer. Let me share a trick I have learned. The divide and conqur method. I have more that one PC amd more that one or two spare jard drives. When I get a tough problem, I try a new install on a spare drive or a spare PC. I have two or three OS to pick from  This helps eliminate OS or hardware of freak install as the issue. This is really handy whne you suspect malware may be involved.
      I have not seen that issue with javascript on Windows 7, but I don't spend a lot of my time on Windows 7.

oterrya

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »
        to Geek:
        I have a third machine -- but it is unfortunately off limits.  It is running WinXP and is gong to stay that way for a while because of other requirements.  Unfortnately I have now run out.  I cannot conceive how malware could have gotten in to either machine unless it could hafve been there but dormant under both McAfee and Norton.  The laptop was a new machine with a free 90 subscription to Norton and the problem showed up when I uninstalled Norton (without a network connection).

------

As I said, I would like to identify the issue before blasting it with the equivalent of a 12 guage shotgun at 12 feet by nuking the two machines and reinstalling from scratch. I wish to make sure I never see the issue again.

------

I still have the test using Firefox and Chrome to try.   I have had an interesting two days (and am still having them) -- totally unrelated to these computer issues.  It may be a day or two before I can sit down and do these steps.  They shoud be harmless and may tell something.

. . . . Terry.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »
        under both McAfee and Norton.
        Wait a second...
        you had TWO AV programs installed? That's bound to cause problems like this....

Did you run the Norton Removal tool as well?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=20080710133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

oterrya

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 11:51:08 PM »
          No, no, no.  Two machines.

Desktop had McAfee.  Ran uninstaller to update.  Problem occurred.  Could not reinstall McAfee because JavaScript seems to be used for the install pages.

Laptop had Norton.  Uninstalled Norton 90 day freebie to install previously paid McAfee suite.  Problem occurred.  Could not install McAfee because JavaScript seems to be used for the install pages.

This was in my first message.
          . . . . Terry.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 12:57:26 AM »
          It is probably an IE addon. Try starting IE without addons by right-clicking it's shortcut and choosing "Start without addons"; or you can find the shortcut to do this in All Programs->Accessories->Internet Explorer (no addons)

My suspicion is that js will suddenly work again, because whatever addon was installed is no longer hooking the JS engine. probably a remnant add-on from Norton and Mcaffee in each case. You can manage the addons in no-addons mode by going Tools->Internet Options, and on the Programs tab, you'll find the "manage Addons" button. Look for the related AV addons, and uninstall/disable them, and try starting the browser normally.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

oterrya

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 01:17:06 AM »
            to BC_Programmer
            I thought I had looked at/done this.  I will again -- later today (I hope).   I have an extremely byusy schedule.  I do not thinkk I have very many at all.
            . . . . Terry.

oterrya

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
              I installed Firefox from link given above.  I ran the Sunspider benchmark -- it was successful.  I did not time it but it took less than 30 seconds to complete  I loaded a web site that uses JavaScript for navigation -- it looked good.

I installed Chrome from link given above.  I ran the Sunspider benchmark -- it was successful.  I did not time it but it took less than 30 seconds to complete  I loaded a web site that uses JavaScript for navigation -- it looked good.

I started IE without add-ons.  I tried the Sunspider benchmark -- it still fails to run.  I tried the same web site as above -- it still does not work.

Hmmm.

Should I try to reinstall IE 9 -- is it possible that would help?
              . . . . Terry.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oterrya

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 12:40:14 AM »
                One down and one to go.

I used the Repair IE 9 link provided by patio, tried the fixes including reset IE 9 -- it still did not work.  I finally un-installed IE 9 (it revereted back to IE 8) and then reinstalled IE 9.
                My desktop machine now works.  The website looks good.  I ran the sunspider benchmark -- it ran successfully (again in something less than 30 seconds.  Something I thought was interesting -- I have heard over and over that IE is slow.  the results of the Sunspider benchmark were:

Firefox:    272 ms
                Chrome:   277 ms
                IE 9:        245 ms

At least in this case, that appears not to be so.

Tomorrow I will tackle my laptop -- I am going straight to the un-install/re-install approach

. . . . Terry.