Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Retrieving "deleted" emails and IMs  (Read 3363 times)

WolverineGirl

Retrieving "deleted" emails and IMs
« on: September 07, 2005, 01:22:46 PM »
Please forgive me if this is the most ridiculous question that is posted but I am just one step above computer illiterate.

Is there a way to retrieve emails that have been deleted from "trash" and past instant messages?

WolverineGirl

Re: Retrieving "deleted" emails and IMs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 01:24:04 PM »
In the even this makes a difference, I have Windows XP

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 01:56:20 PM »
    WolverineGirl.....
    Please forgive me if this is the most ridiculous question that is posted but I am just one step above computer illiterate.

It isn't and I don't think you are ...lol

Well , in theory , when something is deleted , it really hasn't been........it is probably still residing in the pc .....unless it was deleted by a secure scrubbing app. There are services available to possibly recover these items , however it is expensive.
    Is it possible that your Email server was set up to retain a copy ?
    Unless you keep a logfile of your IM's ......I think they are gone . There may be another member who may be able to shed more light on your issue.

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 02:10:54 PM »
    You can restore files using this program.

Your logs might be retrieveable, but the file used to store E-mail might be completely overwritten by now. I do not think that E-mail programs store every E-mail seperatly.

R0SS

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 02:15:43 PM »
    i think its 30 times, if you save emails over 30 times ontop of what you have deleted you wont be able to retreve them.

maby 20 times ???

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 02:42:11 PM »
    Depends entirely on the sector the computer is writing to. There's no specific number of times.

WolverineGirl

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 05:53:32 PM »
    Thank you so very much for your help.  I guess I just need to not be so quick to delete things in the future.  Thanks again!