Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gaming CPU  (Read 2402 times)

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Gaming CPU
    « on: November 23, 2011, 09:51:42 AM »
    I am going to update my CPU soon and was wondering what would be a good processor for gaming , for around 100 to 150 dollars. And also can you put a AMD CPU in a evga 780i mobo?. My specs are listed under computer specs, thanks.

Darthgumby

Beginner
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Gaming CPU
      « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
      Looks like your motherboard uses a LGA 775 socket.  Looking up this socket, I saw it will take a duo-core Intel processor.  AMD would not be compatible, as Intel builds sockets specific to their products.  AMD does have some good quad-core processors for that price, but you would need a different motherboard for this.

My thought is, since you already should have a case, hard drive, CDVD drives, power supply, and everything else, you may just want to invest in a newer Motherboard/processor/RAM combination.  a decent motherboard will set you back $60-80 and a good set of DDR 3 RAM will be around $50.  A bit more saving up and you can really have a good gaming machine.
      There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

Lumpy44

Beginner
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
      I agree with Darth. Getting a Quad-core or even a Tri-Core is key for gaming. So getting a new mobo would be important. As long as you find a mobo that will work with your pre-existing components and will work with the new CPU. Running the AMD tri-core in a cheaper gaming PC and it does great. New mobo $50-80 bucks and the quad cores run from $100-$150, while the tri is about $80. RAM upgrades help too. $200 bucks and you should have a rocking gamer PC

Quick Note: Certain games only run off of one core so the GHz can come into play quite a bit. Most games nowwa days use all the cores so don't worry too much.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »
      Quick Note: Certain games only run off of one core so the GHz can come into play quite a bit.

Source please ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lumpy44

Beginner
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »
      Believe I read it on Gizmodo's gaming computer guide.
      Know I've seen it in some GIS (neato mapping stuff I use for work)
      Your computer knowledge surpasses mine I'm sure so I could be right out to lunch here.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:34:25 AM »
      Multiple cores will benefit all games.

Older games and games that are single-threaded or use fewer threads will still get a boost because they are able to monopolize entire cores. What I mean is, if  they were running on a Single-Core machine, they wouldn't be able to use 100% of that CPU, other processes and tasks will be scheduled timeslices preemptively by the Operating System. a Single CPU Switching between threads can take quite a bit of time overall, too.

With Multiple cores, those background tasks can use other cores, while the game monopolizes one core all to itself.

The other issue with multiple cores is that in order to properly leverage them, a game needs to use multiple threads. Multi-threaded programming with imperative languages is a gigantic minefield, only now having some end in sight thanks to language features that wrap asynchronous operations, such as the latest version of C#, or F#, or the D Programming Language.

My own Game, for example (basically an arkanoid clone, although I don't feel that really does it justice, heh) uses threads for a few things. The Actual GameProc() function that does all the game calculations (moving balls, do they hit blocks, etc) is in one thread, while the UI thread (the one the game started on) handles all the drawing. The GameProc() thread tells the other thread to draw by using a cross-thread call after it changes things and a redraw is necessary. Even with only those two threads, though, since they both access the Game State (Balls,Blocks, etc) I still occasionally encounter race conditions. Pre-emptively eliminating all possible race conditions is impossible without heavy use of synchronous method calls and pessimistic locking of resources, but all you end up with then is that your two threads keep pausing for the other thread.

The best way I've found is that rather than locking the two, I make the drawing routine create a copy of the gamestate; since it's a local copy, the gameProc() thread has no idea and cannot even try to access it, and another advantage is that the game state is "consistent"; before, I could force a repaint by resizing the window and if I did it at a "bad time" assumptions made in the Paint() routine would be invalid and things could get rather hairy.

What it boils down to is that in order to most effectively program multi-threaded applications, you will usually end up using more memory, not only because each Thread has it's own set of data but also because you are making your own copies of otherwise accessible variables to prevent race conditions on the access of those variables.

All that said, regardless of the circumstances, Ghz is only important when comparing two feature-equivalent processors, and even than, it's more or
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.