Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Are these temps ok to run continuously?  (Read 5327 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Are these temps ok to run continuously?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 06:53:02 AM »
from all the info we've gathered it probably is an inherent limitation in the design of your laptop[/b]
I believe you would be correct.  ;) I damaged the keyboard cable connector yesterday when I removed it in order to clean the heat sink ect. So I plugged in a USB keyboard and left the factory keyboard detached, just for trial purpose.
The machine now runs ~15 degrees C less than it did before I removed the keyboard, and only 64 degrees running F@H @ 100% on both cores.  :)
So now, when I get time at work, I'll fabricate a grill with an air filter element to replace the original keyboard.
The USB keyboard is funtional from system start-up before the OS loads, so I see no need for the original keyboard any more anyway, especially since a replacment is $50.22 from HP.
But my question now is, will allowing fresh air to the CPU fan/heat sink via removing the keyboard deprive any other components from needed air flow?

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 11:06:42 PM »
I wouldn't think so due to the design of laptop heatsinks and the size of the fan:

I noticed that laptop fans do not draw air in from the top like desktop CPU fans do, they work like the blower fans you see on reference ATi Radeon graphics cards, so airflow to other components is probably limited.
As you can see the fan is totally encased by the heatsink in many laptops, so I doubt there even will be airflow to other components. It may differ with your laptop, though.

This is your laptop motherboard (HP ProBook 6715b). The hard drive and one of the RAM slots seem to be placed under where the touchpad would be situated, and if anything removing the keyboard would probably allow increased ventilation.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »

I noticed that laptop fans do not draw air in from the top like desktop CPU fans do, they work like the blower fans you see on reference ATi Radeon graphics cards, so airflow to other components is probably limited.
As you can see the fan is totally encased by the heatsink in many laptops, so I doubt there even will be airflow to other components. It may differ with your laptop, though.

No difference on my machine. The blower/fan housing seems to supply air flow across the CPU heat sink only.

This is your laptop motherboard (HP ProBook 6715b). The hard drive and one of the RAM slots seem to be placed under where the touchpad would be situated, and if anything removing the keyboard would probably allow increased ventilation.
Yes, that's my thinking too.

So... I disassembled all the keyboard components down to the base plate and that leaves 202 small holes (all mainly ~3/16" each positioned in horizantal rows). 4 of these holes will be used to reinstall the factory base plate locking tabs to the machine. The remaining 198 will be machined into a horizonatal grille arraingement and serve as air flow orfices (other than 4 of the original holes, which will be used for attatching a top plate to the factory base plate with quick disconnect fasteners). I'll use .0625" .120 micron filter material to sandwich between the 2 plates. I'll take the HP factory base plate to work with me tommorrow to mill the selected holes into horizontaly slotted orfices and scan it for parameters to program into our companys CNC mill to machine a stainless steel copy.  ;)

I'll post the results when I get it functional, installed and tested.
Thanks again for you help Transfusion!  :)