Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help need to make my PC faster  (Read 9881 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Help need to make my PC faster
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 07:58:55 AM »
Thanks for all your help on this thread everyone.  I told Denise I needed to bring in the big guns.

Why are you thanking us? And how did you bring in any "big guns"?

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »
Why are you thanking us? And how did you bring in any "big guns"?

1) because I felt like it.
2) db032383 posted her thread yesterday at 7:30pm and seemed like  I was the only one trying to help her
3) and because I sent a PM late last night to Transfusion asking for his help
4)and why was my Beyourownit links removed. (you missed the one in transfusions post)  I wasn't advertising, thought the forum was about helping people. Use computerhope links elsewhere all the time. 
The Truth is the Truth whether you believe it or not.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

db032383

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 10:00:41 AM »
    I dont know why all the conflict I was just asking for some help!  Thanks to everyone including IowaMrs for helping me out! I've done all that U have suggested now my next question is if I decide to get more RAM, How do i know what i should buy, size and (style) kind of RAM

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
    « Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 10:13:01 AM »

Another thing you may want to consider would be to visit Crucial.com and run the online scanner to see if it's possible to add additional RAM...probably the most cost effective of perking up an older PC...

As Patio suggested go here http://www.4allmemory.com/indexb.cfm?gclid=CO_c6OGkqq0CFSwBQAodhxezkw use it on your Compaq Presario

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
    « Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »
    Think I might have suggested the wrong scanner from crucial. http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/  Sorry, try this.  There are so many similar programs advertising  on the web, it is easy to get misled. 

Also, sorry about bringing conflict into your post.

db032383

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
      what about processors.... how do i upgrade that and is it easy to do?

db032383

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 10:31:47 AM »
        Also, sorry about bringing conflict into your post.
        LOL no problem!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 10:48:49 AM »
        what about processors.... how do i upgrade that and is it easy to do?

This computer (Compaq Presario SR1313CL) was introduced 7 years ago, (Dec 17 2004). It has a maximum RAM capacity of 1 GB, and the motherboard supports CPUs of the type known as "Socket A". These are not made any more. Personally I think it would a waste of money spending very much on this machine. The most powerful CPU you can use, if you can find a used one, is not going to make a lot of difference. I guess you could upgrade the RAM quite cheaply, you can take out the current memory and put a single 1 GB module in, the type is 184 Pin 2.5v DDR333 Non-ECC Dimm and this should cost around $30. (Check: $29.99 at Crucial) http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario%20SR1313CL&Cat=RAM but don't expect an astonishing transformation.

db032383

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
          This computer (Compaq Presario SR1313CL) was introduced 7 years ago, (Dec 17 2004). It has a maximum RAM capacity of 1 GB, and the motherboard supports CPUs of the type known as "Socket A". These are not made any more. Personally I think it would a waste of money spending very much on this machine. The most powerful CPU you can use, if you can find a used one, is not going to make a lot of difference. I guess you could upgrade the RAM quite cheaply, you can take out the current memory and put a single 1 GB module in, the type is 184 Pin 2.5v DDR333 Non-ECC Dimm and this should cost around $30. (Check: $29.99 at Crucial) http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario%20SR1313CL&Cat=RAM but don't expect an astonishing transformation.

So are you saying not to get a new processor for this computer because its not worth it? I cant afford to by a new computer so i though that by spend some money and putting in to the computer wouldn't hurt....   What should I do! my daughter is enjoying having her own computer but hates waiting for games and sites to load up!
          will the RAM do anything beside add more memory

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
          « Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »

I would trust what SalmonTrout is saying. Ram will speed it up some but as he indicated in his last post "don't expect an astonishing transformation"

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »

1) because I felt like it.
          2) db032383 posted her thread yesterday at 7:30pm and seemed like  I was the only one trying to help her
          3) and because I sent a PM late last night to Transfusion asking for his help
          4)and why was my Beyourownit links removed. (you missed the one in transfusions post)  I wasn't advertising, thought the forum was about helping people. Use computerhope links elsewhere all the time.

The links were removed for 2 reasons...
          A) Although the may have contained pertenint info to "speeding up a PC" they are flagged as malicious sites by WOT...
          And B) We try to solve issues here without anyone having to pull out their wallet and spend hard-earned cash...which the above mentioned site wanted to do...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          « Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »
          So are you saying not to get a new processor for this computer because its not worth it?
          That is precisely what he is saying.

I cant afford to by a new computer so i though that by spend some money and putting in to the computer wouldn't hurt....
          It won't. But I think the point being made is that it won't really help, either. Basically, money spent on the machine would be better put towards a new one in some fashion.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 03:05:27 AM »
          It takes over7 min just to load up the internet...

my daughter is enjoying having her own computer but hates waiting for games and sites to load up!

Apart from a couple of remarks like the above, we don't really know how "slow" it is. Reading those things I wonder quite strongly if this computer is not "slow" because it is old, perhaps it is slow because something is wrong with it. For example if the hard drive is very nearly full, is beginning to fail, or is badly fragmented, or gone into PIO mode, then the machine would seem a little sluggish. If the wireless connection needed troubleshooting. But most of those points seem to have been covered. (Viruses?) Even an entry level machine from 2004 with only 512 MB of RAM should be reasonably brisk at web surfing (unless the connection is a particularly poor one). Especially if it has a newly installed XP. Modern games are another matter. There is a lot here that we do not know. However I would put 1 GB of RAM in it and format the disk and reinstall XP and all service packs and see how it worked after that. If it was still bad I would start thinking about alternatives. This thread could meander on for quite a few more pages. Best of all would be if someone technically knowledgeable and trustworthy (maybe a relative, family friend or local nerdy teen would give this machine a thorough hands-on going-over (a tune-up) and see if there is anything obvious that needed putting right. The trouble is, if that knowledge and fitting of RAM, CMOS battery etc has to be paid for at commercial rates, like from a repair store, then you are spending a good part of the cost of a new computer or a more recently made used one.

Less expensive than a new computer would be a "modernizing kit" which would be a cheapish budget new motherboard/cpu/RAM combo deal that would fit in the case and not tax the power supply unduly.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:33:57 AM by Salmon Trout »

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
          « Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
          Or if your are really ambitious  ;D, you, or someone you know could build your own.  I built one a couple of months ago from a barebones kit for under $300.  Taking into consideration I already had a extra monitor, keyboard, mouse and Windows 7 OEM.  It was easier than I thought. The only thing I had to buy that it didn't come with was a case fan.  Then I discovered I could use it to watch free HULU on my flat screen TV.  But that is besides the point here.  ::)  Just wanted you to know there are other options.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1626533&Sku=B69-0483  I am not recommending this particular kit but just giving you an idea of what is out there.   I remember when I first started learning about fixing computers one of my first questions was "is there such a thing as a computer in a box, like a puzzle I could put together"?  So there you have it.  Of course I didn't build it until I had enough  experience under my belt starting with taking my first computer apart and putting it back together.  But it also is an option.