Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wet laptop  (Read 1734 times)

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
    Wet laptop
    « on: January 06, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »
     My cousin gave me her laptop to look at. It is a hp pavilion dv7-1464nr. It has gone through a fire about a year ago. Obviously the laptop got wet, and after she dried it out, it would not work. Now I would have thrown the thing out, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. She thought maybe I could use some of the parts out of it and gave it to me.

When I got it, I tried to turn it on. The lights would come on briefly, then it would shut down. So I took it all apart, found 1 cable for the speakers that was not hooked up, and put it back together. I tried to boot to the windows disk, and low and behold, it worked. It tried to install windows, but the hard drive was shot. I figured it would be but I wanted to see if I could get it to work before investing any money in it. So I bought a hard drive with the thought that if I couldn't get the thing going, I could put the hard drive in my laptop for data.

I got the hard drive today and and it started to install windows. Ran for about 20 - 30 min. and just quit. My first thought was maybe overheating but when I had it apart I reapplied the thermal paste to the cpu. Fan appears to be working also.  So I tried it again and this time it shut down sooner, maybe after 10 min.

When I try to restart it, it does nothing until I unplug the charger from the laptop. Then it will start and I can plug it back in.  I have tried 2 chargers with the same result. Any thoughts on this? I am thinking maybe the Mother board. I do get a checksum error when I start also. Could the cmos battery make it shut down?
    Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wet laptop
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:44:39 PM »
    Try with battery in & battery out.

hejlik

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
      Re: Wet laptop
      « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »
      I got it to work 1 time with the battery out. Lasted about 10 min. I edited original my post.
      Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive