Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What power supply should I buy?  (Read 2154 times)

James165

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    What power supply should I buy?
    « on: January 05, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
    I am planning on building a gaming PC with a budget of around $900, I have chosen the Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card, Intel Core i5-2500K processor and the MSI P67A-GD55 motherboard.

I am now choosing a power supply for the build, I was told I should get a 600 or 650w power supply. Do you think a Corsair GS-600 Gaming Series 600W power supply is a good choice for my build?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What power supply should I buy?
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »
    A 450 watt supply will work.

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
    Greetings James165

The GTX 560 Ti is an excellent choice for a graphics card, I myself have the EVGA GTX 560 Superclocked. If I were you I would stick with your original plan of getting a 600 or 650 watt because the minimum recommended power supply for that card is 500 watt. A 450 watt would under power your card but 600 watt should be plenty, also I would recommend looking into modular power supplies. These are nice because you can keep your case clean and only use cables that are needed, just a personal opinion though.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »
    A 450 watt supply will work.

You can safely ignore this...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

James165

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »
      Thanks for the help guys, I am now thinking I should get an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply, is this a good choice? Here is the official page for that power supply (I would be getting the 600w version): http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-500w-700w-modxstream-pro-power-supply.html

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:16 PM »
      I already said it was overkill.  :)
      But since you want to know, you have chosen a manufacture that is in the upper class group. They offer a three-year warranty and specifications that go way ove over the requirements. Likely you will wear out two or three motherboards before that supply ever fails. It is a good investment.

Here is the manual in PDF.
      http://www.ocztechnology.com/res_old/manuals/psu/MXSPRO_manual_allpgs_FINAL_lr.pdf

Not many other PSU makes give you that much information about their product. And in several languages. They tackle the world market.
      Here is a quote:
      Note:  If the PSU goes into shut down status, the PSU will return to
      normal operation only after the fault has been removed and the
      power switch has been cycled off/on for a minimum of 1 second; 
      or you may re-plug in the AC power from the PSU.
      Users need to know this. This kind of  PSU does not burn out. PSUs of this kind protect themselves. And protect your stuff.  The shut down can prevent a fire. More users should be aware of this. The manual has important information. Read it please.

But as for me., I buy cheap instead and reckon I will have to replace it withing a year. Maybe that is why I am always broke.  :-[

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »
      In other words Geek is trying to talk you out of an excellent choice because he seems to think it is overkill...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:02:27 AM »
      That OCZ looks like a great power supply to me. And geek: as I said before, the specifications for that graphics card on Nvidia's website requires a minimum of 500 watt.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 12:48:39 AM »
      He wants the Nvidia GeForce GTX 560, Which is a shameless power hog. Fortunately, the motherboard he wants s a very power efficient design. Nice tradeoff.

NVIDIA chose to optimize for both performance and power on the GTX 570/580, the GTX 560 Ti is almost exclusively optimized for performance
      http://www.anandtech.com/show/4135/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-ti-upsetting-the-250-market/16

Of course it is his choice. He needs to understand what he is getting.  When summer comes his electric bill is going up as the A/C in his house struggles to keep the temperature down. Unless he lives in Antarctica.   :P