Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Repairing/replacing a system file for Windows XP  (Read 9673 times)

Gatika

Repairing/replacing a system file for Windows XP
« on: September 12, 2005, 09:34:10 AM »
Okay, Norton deleted one of our Windows XP Home Edition system files and now Windows won't load and it informed us that we could attempt to repair the missing/corrupt file with our original installation cd. We managed to lose that, so I just purchased another copy of Windows XP Home Edition.

My question is: before I open the box and destroy any chances of returning the item, does it matter that we are attempting to repair with a different installation cd than the one that was originally used to install Windows on our computer?

It is exactly the same software, just a physically different cd. Problem or no? Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 09:35:09 AM by Gatika »

Raptor

Re: Repairing/replacing a system file for Windows
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:45:37 AM »
Is the installation on your computer Home SP2 and the CD you bought Home SP2?

If yes, I would take the risk. You are going to need an operating system CD in case you are unable to repair the system and you need to reformat and reinstall.

The following links might be of use:

Installing and Using Recovery Console

Perform a Repair Installation

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

Gatika

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:53:08 AM »
The new cd is SP2. I don't know how to check and see if the previously installed windows is though. We bought it about three years ago I think...was SP2 out then?

Also, the tech at the store mentioned that the Windows XP Home edition upgrade was the same software as the full installation package, for roughly half the cost. Could I use this to repair the file instead of the full installation cd?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 09:58:05 AM by Gatika »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 10:06:39 AM »
The new cd is SP2. I don't know how to check and see if the previously installed windows is though. We bought it about three years ago I think...was SP2 out then?

I actually meant the Service Pack installed, not with what service pack your computer came with.

Also, the tech at the store mentioned that the Windows XP Home edition upgrade was the same software as the full installation package, for roughly half the cost. Could I use this to repair the file instead of the full installation cd?

The upgrade requires you to verify your right to install by having you insert a Windows 98, Windows ME or Windows 2000 CD before the installation of Windows XP. Even before you can reformat, if I remember correctly.

I have never had to repair a system using either a full or upgrade version, so I can not tell if there will be a difference.

Gatika

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 10:14:18 AM »
Okay, I'll stick with the full install.

For the Service Pack, we had the Automatic Update thing running for Windows, so it automatically downloaded all the updates whenever they became available. Does that mean it would have installed the Service Pack? Or was that something you had to buy?

And thanks for the help Raptor.  ;D

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:19:38 AM »
For the Service Pack, we had the Automatic Update thing running for Windows, so it automatically downloaded all the updates whenever they became available. Does that mean it would have installed the Service Pack? Or was that something you had to buy?

Actually, I think the Service Pack 1 and 2 had to be installed manually.

But I could be wrong, I install all the updates manually.

Gatika

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »
Well, we'll give it a shot, what the heck, eh?

Here goes nothing...

Thanks for the help Raptor. You're a godsend.  :D

Update: Well, the repair didn't work. Now I'm trying an in-place upgrade.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 12:42:44 PM by Gatika »

Gatika

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »
And the in-place upgrade didn't work either.

Now I get a long error message apologizing for the inconvenience but informing me that Windows did not start correctly.

It won't let even me start it in Safe Mode.

Now what?

Gatika

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 02:01:54 PM »
Okay, did the in-place upgrade again, and it seems to have worked this time but Windows loads to a certain point and then informs me that:

"This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?"

I would love to activate Windows now, but my keyboard and my mouse are non-responsive. I tried restarting, and it didn't change anything.

The mouse uses a USB port, perhaps I should switch back to an older non-USB mouse? But the keyboard does not use a USB port and it's not responding either.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 02:17:22 PM by Gatika »

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 03:49:19 PM »
The mouse uses a USB port, perhaps I should switch back to an older non-USB mouse? But the keyboard does not use a USB port and it's not responding either.

PS/2 has got my vote.

In case you immediatly get the Windows must be activated within 30 days when booting it could be that the drivers are not yet loaded in normal mode?

Gatika

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 04:07:38 PM »
Can I load the drivers in safe mode?

Edit: The mouse now works, but still not the keyboard.  :-/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 05:06:02 PM by Gatika »

Gatika

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 09:05:23 AM »
Well, I was advised to reinstall (re-inplace upgrade) the sotware, so I did, and we were able to load and activate Windows and all of our files were there and everything, YAY

...but then we tried installing the driver for our Linksys USB adapter (which we need in order to access the internet) and everything went wonky and now we can't load Windows again.  :-[

So, we're back to square one...thtbthth. I'm a bit tired of this...

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 10:06:12 AM »
...but then we tried installing the driver for our Linksys USB adapter (which we need in order to access the internet) and everything went wonky and now we can't load Windows again.

You have to be careful, a repair installation can never be as stable as a clean install which was preceded by a reformat.

How many times have you done a (succcesful) repair installation so far?

Gatika

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 10:47:18 AM »
Just once. I saved most of my files during that short Window when we were able to access them, so I may just do a clean install next. I'm taking a mini-break from wrestling with this thing, so I'm gonna decide what to do later on today.  :P

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 11:46:54 AM »
Just once. I saved most of my files during that short Window when we were able to access them, so I may just do a clean install next. I'm taking a mini-break from wrestling with this thing, so I'm gonna decide what to do later on today.  :P

Were you able to create backups of the files that you would like to keep when you were still able to do so?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 11:55:35 AM by Raptor »