Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downloading Ubuntu Linux Failiure  (Read 12456 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Downloading Ubuntu Linux Failiure
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
I am currently downloading Ubuntu Linux 11.1 for a computer that used to run windows. I have the download method of using the cd, mostly because the operating system on that computer does not work. secondly, because i am unable to connect to the internet from the computer at the moment, also due to lack of operating system. I run the boot from cd, and it does display something i am familiar with Ubuntu, but goes no further, after the single image, and goes to a blinking line in the upper-left corner of the screen.

The image is best described as two icons at the bottom center of the screen, one displaying an icon similar to a human, and the other icon, i am unable to describe past that it looks like a building. What should i do at this point?

Thanks for reading
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Downloading Ubuntu Linux Failiure
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »
What is the make and model of the computer (I attempted to install a few Linux distros on my old Compaq Evo n400c and some of them would hang halfway through the boot process. I went into Command Line mode and attempted to start XVesa and discovered that there were no drivers for my ATi Mobility M1 included.)
Do you mean this screen:
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44:34 AM »
Yes, just that it never loaded the logo itself
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:48:15 AM »
The image is best described as two icons at the bottom center of the screen, one displaying an icon similar to a human, and the other icon, i am unable to describe past that it looks like a building. What should i do at this point?

At that point, when you see the two icons at the bottom of the screen, press any key to open the advanced boot options. Press F4 for modes. Choose safe graphics mode.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
I am downloading it on what i believe to be an older machine. Was able to load vista perfectly fine until the software crashed. I would also like to wipe the drives, and i would like to try to do so before the linux is downloaded. How would i go upon doing that?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »
Also, i wish to put several of my other computers under ubuntu linux, but the newer versions dont seem to work. I tried installing on a old toshiba satelite laptop (old enough to have built in floppy drive) it told me there was an error, as i was trying to download a x386 when i am in need of a x686 kernel for my procesor. Where would i find a version compatible with my device? also have a dell insperon, about same age, i wish to download ubuntu to.

The rest of the computers i am hoping to load into a Beowulf Cluster, so any tips on that as well?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 04:13:41 PM »
You need the x86 version of Ubuntu for older computers. Not the x64.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »
I am downloading it on what i believe to be an older machine. Was able to load vista perfectly fine until the software crashed. I would also like to wipe the drives, and i would like to try to do so before the linux is downloaded. How would i go upon doing that?

No luck with safe graphics mode?

I assume when you say downloading you mean installing. Downloading and installing are two different things. Downloading Ubuntu would refer to retrieving the iso file from the internet. Installing would be putting the software on a computer after you've burned your CD. Do you mean installing?

Ubuntu may not be the best choice for an "older machine". You may want to try a lightweight version of Ubuntu that has lower system requirements. It would run a lot better on an older machine. Try Lubuntu. Get it here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

Also, i wish to put several of my other computers under ubuntu linux, but the newer versions dont seem to work. I tried installing on a old toshiba satelite laptop (old enough to have built in floppy drive) it told me there was an error, as i was trying to download a x386 when i am in need of a x686 kernel for my procesor. Where would i find a version compatible with my device? also have a dell insperon, about same age, i wish to download ubuntu to.

I think you may be getting confused on this one. Your processor runs the x86 instruction set. The i386 version of Ubuntu should install.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:48:11 AM »
On the copy of Ubuntu Linux i got, it does not provide a "Graphic Safe Mode" it is version 11.10, newest version from the download website.
I tried Lubuntu on some of the older machines, it works on one, and another laptop has a faulty CD Drive.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
aditional information:

manufacured : Gateway
Product name: t5002

Board info
manufacured : intel
product name : d102ggc2

there is still no operating system, and there is about 800 gigs of hard disk space.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »
I have the computer set up with minimal hardware. I have a few 400 gig drives i am setting aside, and i am downloading Linux to a working 20 gig drive for now. I start up the computer with the isolinux server disk i burned, it loads up the menu of language selection. I press enter for English, then i click instal Ubuntu server. it seems to freeze up for a while, the CD drive says it is in use during that time, but then the screen just goes blank, but not off, and there is no more activity on the CD drive. Am i getting impatient and paranoid, and it is still working properly, or is there more i should be paying attention to.

specs for the computer are above
also has 2 1 gig sticks of RAM, and i changed out the drives, thinking the two 400's were faulty.

Processor is a Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.0 GHz 
Is there something wrong with my install disk, maybe, or is it the system?

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
Why do you keep calling it downloading? Are you trying to do a networked installation? If not, then it's either copying or transferring .. Using the wrong terminology makes for a confusing read.

Have you tried waiting for the white screen to disappear? And why are you installing the server version?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 11:14:02 AM »
I am trying to install the server version due to the reason that i am trying to use this computer in particular as the head node in a beowulf cluster. And i have tried waiting, for hours at a time, but it never did go any further than the blank screen.

Raptor

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »
I have tried doing the ubuntu custom boot options, however, none of them have been proven to work on my system, although i will give them another try when i get back to my home

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
Try the text-based installer.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
I believe i had tried the text-based installer at one point, however, where are the other sources for that file?

JJ 3000

Egghead
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
On the copy of Ubuntu Linux i got, it does not provide a "Graphic Safe Mode" it is version 11.10, newest version from the download website.

I'm sorry for giving you the wrong info. I've had next to no experience with Ubuntu 11. The safe graphics mode was an option on previous versions, so I assumed it would be available on 11.  :-[  I just booted an 11.10 live CD and the option wasn't there.

What you want to do at the boot options screen is press F6 for other options. Choose nomodeset. See here:

When you finish the Ubuntu installation you will be asked to reboot. If you get the black screen again after booting into your new installation, do this:

Reboot the computer and hold down the Shift key as the computer is starting to bring up the GRUB menu. The top line of the menu should be your new install. With that line highlighted press e to edit the entry. Use the arrow keys to move down to the next to last line. Change the text after quiet splash to nomodeset as I've done in the screenshot here:

then press CTRL-X to boot into Ubuntu

If you had to do that second step, you will want to set this as a permanent boot option to avoid having to change it at every reboot. To do that:

Open terminal. Type gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub and press enter. This will open a text editor and you should see this on the screen:

Move down to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Change "quiet splash" to "quiet splash nomodeset".

Click File > Save, then exit the text editor.

Back in terminal type sudo update-grub and press enter.

That should do it. Good luck.

I tried Lubuntu on some of the older machines, it works on one, and another laptop has a faulty CD Drive.

If that laptop's BIOS supports booting to USB, you can install from a flash drive. You can use a program like Unetbootin to put the ISO on a flash drive. See here:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Since you've already got the Lubuntu ISO, you will want to follow the instructions here:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/#other
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 03:38:28 AM »
Choose nomodeset. See here:

That was in the link I gave him ...

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
I have tried booting to nomodeset several times now, ant it still leaves me to the same result. This is now starting to confuse me beyond confusion on why in the world of computers it will not work at all. It is not an old system at all, The only thing old about it is the monitor i am using. Howeverm the monitor still should work fine, and i have tested with other monitors.

JJ 3000

Egghead
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »
That was in the link I gave him ...

Ah, so it was! I should have clicked that before replying...

I believe i had tried the text-based installer at one point, however, where are the other sources for that file?

No luck with that?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 10:41:13 PM »
I have had no luck with anything thus far. I have erased the disk to make sure i have capacity even though it probably did not cause a problem in the first place.

Everything i have tried has led to the black screen with the blinking underscore.

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 04:56:54 AM »
Have you tried booting from a USB stick? Or alternatively, from a CD .. Maybe the copying process was corrupted.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »
Will try this afternoon. thanks.