Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Signal Is Good But No Connection Further Than 5 Meters  (Read 6165 times)

Boris_yo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Wireless Signal Is Good But No Connection Further Than 5 Meters
    « on: January 21, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
    Hello, i have this problem with with HTC Desire S smartphone currently. When i am in my room, connection is fine, but when in another room further than 5 meters, i lose connection, though i have good Wi-Fi signal.

The interesting part is that when i turn or rotate my smartphone or change place, eventually connection returns. This is weird because i have no range limit in my Edimax's router BIOS. Router has one antenna FYI which i tried rotating differently to no avail. Drivers are latest and router is old.

Router: Edimax BR-6204Wg
    Mobile OS: Android 2.3.3

Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wireless Signal Is Good But No Connection Further Than 5 Meters
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:41:28 AM »
    The interesting part is that when i turn or rotate my smartphone or change place, eventually connection returns.
    Without special equipment, it is had to say if that is normal or not. You can try to change your system to another channel.  Or try another smartphone. The antenna may be defective.

Boris_yo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:13:49 AM »
      Okay i will add. This did not happen until i bought Case Mate Tough and does not happen when case is off.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »
      Okay i will add. This did not happen until i bought Case Mate Tough and does not happen when case is off.
      Please elaborate. It is a rubber case for the phone?

Boris_yo

Topic Starter

Rookie

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »
        That heavy-duty case is designed for protection against hard falls... and it looks rather thick:

The antenna probably was not designed to be able to penetrate through cases....  I don't think you'd be able to do much if you really want to use that case...
        In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
        Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog

Boris_yo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:43:19 AM »
          The problem is that NOT EVERY DEVICE experiences such symptoms. I read somewhere that HTC should remake in smartphone's firmware how wireless antenna operates with case on. This problem has been encountered with Case Mate Barely There metallic case.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 01:25:46 AM »
          Steve Jobs was an excellent engineer. And he missed it. Microwave antenna are subject to not only metallic decoupling, but also dielectric effects. A dielectric effect is how a non-metallic material can decouple a microwave antenna.The fact that it can be adjusted in firmware is outstanding.Those chips must be really amazing to have that kind of capability.

Boris_yo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 01:50:14 AM »
            Steve Jobs was an excellent engineer. And he missed it.

But he was innovator.

Quote from: Geek-9pm
            Microwave antenna are subject to not only metallic decoupling, but also dielectric effects. A dielectric effect is how a non-metallic material can decouple a microwave antenna.The fact that it can be adjusted in firmware is outstanding.Those chips must be really amazing to have that kind of capability.

Do you yourself believe such can be done in firmware?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 08:38:17 AM »
            But he was innovator.
            And a dâm good one.
            Do you yourself believe such can be done in firmware?
            I am willing to believe it. I have no idea who makes the wireless module. Brut I am sure it is is programmable. Weather or not it can alter the antenna tuning, I don't know.  But it is possible using some techniques that are 21 century stuff. I have never heard of that at microwave frequencies. But it has been a long time since I studies that stuff.

Boris_yo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 09:23:05 AM »
              And a dâm good one.

So he wasn't engineer?

I am willing to believe it. I have no idea who makes the wireless module. Brut I am sure it is is programmable. Weather or not it can alter the antenna tuning, I don't know.  But it is possible using some techniques that are 21 century stuff. I have never heard of that at microwave frequencies. But it has been a long time since I studies that stuff.

Case turns my smartphone from omnidirectional to directional. How would you call that downgrade in technology? Reversed technology which is antonym for advanced technology.

Case is great and does a well job, but that wireless issue... Have to take cover off to surf fine.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 09:34:51 AM »
              So he wasn't engineer?
              Case is great and does a well job, but that wireless issue... Have to take cover off to surf fine.
              Do you take your car out of the garage when you want to drive?

Many cell phone systems are in the mid range band around 900 MHz and have power levels the go for miles. But WI-Fi technology is at 2.5 GHz and higher and has short range coverage under 100 meters. The case makers test the things on cell phone coverage, not Wi-Fi coverage.

Boris_yo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »
                Do you take your car out of the garage when you want to drive?

Don't have any.

Many cell phone systems are in the mid range band around 900 MHz and have power levels the go for miles. But WI-Fi technology is at 2.5 GHz and higher and has short range coverage under 100 meters. The case makers test the things on cell phone coverage, not Wi-Fi coverage.

Maybe i should find where the most crucial part of the device is which is responsible for Wi-Fi reception and make a hole in smartphone's case?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 09:36:54 AM »
                  Or rather than modifying the case to permit sufficient wi=fi signal reception. Which could entail substantial elimination of the case. Another alternative (if the security aspect of the case protection is paramount) modify the case to allow connection of an external antennae. A much less invasive (destructive) process. I use an external antennae on a laptop. Not for your issue but to enhance the reception ability. It has demonstrated well it's ability to do that. However as a caution it too is very sensitive to directional pointing to achieve maximum signal strength. truenorth

Boris_yo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 09:47:20 AM »
                    Another alternative (if the security aspect of the case protection is paramount) modify the case to allow connection of an external antennae. A much less invasive (destructive) process.

Where would i get one that is specific for smartphone?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »
                      Seems like not many do but yours might.
                      http://www.wpsantennas.com/smart-phone-cellular-antennas.aspx
                      truenorth