Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu 64 bit istallation fail  (Read 5853 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Ubuntu 64 bit istallation fail
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »
I know that this is a similar title to an earlier post, but is a different problem.

I am installing Ubuntu Desktop 64 bit for am AMD processor. Dell Inspiron 1526. The install seems to work until about halfway through, and it notifies me the fallowing:

"The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] input/output error"

It also goes on to tell me that cleaning the disk can prevent problems, but the disk is brand new and just freshly burned. I tried burning the ISO image again to another disk, but i still have the same result.

The install worked through my Inspiron 1525 (one model number away) and i am wondering why it would not work for one computer but for the other

Thanks for reading, and thanks to any help in advance.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Ubuntu 64 bit istallation fail
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
Probably because the laser lens is dirty.

Try installing from USB.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
i am wondering why it would not work for one computer but for the other

Bad drive. or combination of disk + drive

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
I tried cleaning just the disk, but now, after a short while after the computer boots, it just automatically turns off.
Not sure if it is just my hardware or something, but i did not touch the internals at all yet

[EDIT] Nevermind
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »
I tried the cleaning, and now the disk managed to instal linex without any errors. Howeber, when it re-booted the system, it is taking a much longer time than what would be expected from myself to finally log it, but the screen stays at the login standad background. With a mouse, and that is all. What would i do next?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
New information

I have sucessfully booted into recovery mode, and i can do it reliably, however, i wish to know what is preventing me from booting normally. I did a full update, with all the files the update manager gave to me, and also installed the driver for my wireless card.

Any ideas?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:13:59 AM »
Have you tried logging in?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
The computer works just fine from recovery mode, logging in, getting on internet, installing drivers, ext. A few features i noticed are not working right, like the double monitors is not working for me in recovery.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »
Sorry - I mean, when you boot normally (not recovery mode), have you tried logging in?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 08:13:28 AM »
Lately, it has just been getting stuck at the ubuntu loading image. But when i could log in on normal, it would leave me at a blank desktop image, and a mouse. No icons, taskbar, application dock, nothing.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »
when i could log in on normal, it would leave me at a blank desktop image, and a mouse.

Probably the simplest way around that would be to create a new user profile - or did you try that already?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »
Wow. DERP on my part. Like, mega DERP. Thanks for the help, as it seems to be working thus far

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »
Cool.