Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE!  (Read 2726 times)

amcros

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    HELP PLEASE!
    « on: February 04, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »
    I can not get my computer to start. This has happened randomly with no known provocation.  It powers on but goes directly to screen that states windows has failed to start due possibly to a recent hardware or software change OR that some windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly.  it then gives the options to START WINDOWS NORMALLY: (which when selected just goes to black screen w/ windows logo and "thinking" bar moving across the bottom but nothing else will ever happen).  OR.  LAUNCH START UP REPAIR: (this option automatically starts a repair scan but when finished just says that it can't be repaired automatically) It does give me some other Recovery Tool options:  - Start up repair.                   
                                                              - system restore
                                                               - windows complete restore
                                                               - win memory diagnostic tool
                                                               - command promo
                                                               -  dell factory image resore

I have explored all of these and I either got no where with them or did not feel comfortable enough to explore with out losing info on comp.
    I have a Dell that has vista as it operating system. 
    I Would REALLY appreciate any help anyone can give

hopefully this can be understood, I am typing this on my phone and am disregarding spelling and grammar/ just don't want to look like an idiot!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HELP PLEASE!
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

At one time we would ask new users to use common sense, but that is not longer required.

You have a Dell running  Vista. Apparently it is out of warranty or you would have made contact with Dell. You have had this computer long enough that you should have made backups of you personal material. If not, you need to find a friend that has a computer that can help save  personal files.
    The option
      dell factory image resore
    Will indeed erase you personal data from the drive and bring you back to day one.
    You can remove your hard drive from you machine and 'slave' it on your friends machine. He then can copy you personal stuff to DVDs that you can use later to reload your stuff.

garybear

Re: HELP PLEASE!
    « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:02:33 AM »
    Hi!! Very nice reply Geek_9pm!!