Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DRIVE BACKUPS  (Read 8810 times)

garybear

Re: DRIVE BACKUPS
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 09:32:37 AM »
Hi!! Looks like it worked. It will be a little different with the recovery CD, but not that much. If you would like to exchange email addresses, send me a PM. I also have Skype. My goal in life is to pass on the little bit of knowledge that I have learned. Good luck. You can do it. Once you have restored your OS, it will be a cup of tea next time.

garybear

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
Looks like I left out the last step. Click apply to complete the restore or cancel to stop restore. I hope this helps!

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

garybear

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »
Hello !! You might also want to consider this !!
http://www.pagestart.com/win7bckuprstrnhd072610.html

Personally this is the way I would replace a hard drive. It seems easier than the other methods??
I have not replaced a HD in my new Toshiba, but if I ever do, this is the way I'll try first!
PS I'm not trying to hog this topic. Backing up and restoring OS is a big deal for me. There are a lot of programs and ways to do that.
I guess it boils down to the users choice.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:33:12 PM by garybear »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
PLEASE STOP

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 06:48:31 AM »
    Create a boot or recovery disc with whatever imaging software you are using, boot to it, and restore the image

Allan, will the new disk have to be the same size as the old one though?   ;D

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
      « Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:44 AM »
      Hello !! You might also want to consider this !!
      http://www.pagestart.com/win7bckuprstrnhd072610.html

Personally this is the way I would replace a hard drive. It seems easier than the other methods??
      I have not replaced a HD in my new Toshiba, but if I ever do, this is the way I'll try first!
      PS I'm not trying to hog this topic. Backing up and restoring OS is a big deal for me. There are a lot of programs and ways to do that.
      I guess it boils down to the users choice.

Can I get a printable version of this article garybear please?  ;)

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 07:09:08 AM »
      Allan, will the new disk have to be the same size as the old one though?   ;D
      No
      Please read the documentation for whatever imaging software you use. It will explain everything you need to know.

garybear

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
      Hello friend! I have been asked to stop posting on your topic. I will obey that request. I love this forum and don't want to cause any problems. I hope you understand!

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 07:45:14 AM »
      You were asked to stop posting one post after another without any questions or responses in between. You were (are) monopolizing the thread.

garybear

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »
      You were asked to stop posting one post after another without any questions or responses in between. You were (are) monopolizing the thread.
      I will stop posting on this thread as you requested. I had to answer the OP
       He made a request and it would have been very rude not to answer his reply.
      I was trying to think of the best and simplest way to help him
      Some times this old mind works a little slow and after I made a post, I thought of more ways that might help.
      I'm out of here!

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 08:34:04 AM »
      Can I get a printable version of this article garybear please?  ;)
      No, but you can print the web page containing the article. 

If I were replacing an existing, non-defective, hard drive with a new larger one, I would probably use the software tool provided by the drive manufacturer for this procedure.  Of course, the old drive must be still working to use this method.  If I recall correctly, Western Digital's software utility for this allows the user to specify the partition size(s) on the new hard drive.  So, you can configure the new hard drive with larger partitions during the drive cloning procedure.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
        « Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 06:28:32 AM »
        No, but you can print the web page containing the article. 

If I were replacing an existing, non-defective, hard drive with a new larger one, I would probably use the software tool provided by the drive manufacturer for this procedure.  Of course, the old drive must be still working to use this method.  If I recall correctly, Western Digital's software utility for this allows the user to specify the partition size(s) on the new hard drive.  So, you can configure the new hard drive with larger partitions during the drive cloning procedure.

My C: Drive is begining to show signes of wearing out, according to the drive testing gizmos that I use to monitor my drives.

I started off with 3 HD's but have recently lost one and had to revert to two.    I had done a Paragon AND Windows image of this HD and I tried to re-install this to the new drive, without any success!   My older drive was larger than the two drives I had left however.

Here I am again with one of the last two I have showing signes of going under....talk about taking to drink!  (lol)  >:(

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »
        HDD suitable for backup  costs less that  two bottles of good Kentucky whiskey. One one bottle of good Scotch land.  8)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
        HDD suitable for backup  costs less that  two bottles of good Kentucky whiskey. One one bottle of good Scotch land.  8)

Depends what counts as "good" Scotch. My bottle of The Famous Grouse cost me 16.99 UK pounds in Sainsbury's. OK it's blended, and I might spend 28.99 in Tesco to get the (very good) Laphroaig 10 year old Islay single malt or 34.99 in ASDA to get Glenfiddich 18 year old single malt or about 12 pounds for a supermarket own brand. One UK pound = $1.57 today.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »
        Depends what counts as "good" Scotch. .... 10 year old Islay single malt or 34.99 in ASDA ...One UK pound = $1.57 today.
        Yes, you have a good point. I can not tolerate 'good' Scotch.  It just h.as to be 'very good' Scotch.
        For about $50 you an pick up a 500 GB HDD made by Seagate .Everybody wants the TB and beyond, so the under TB drives are now a fair investment for the short term.

Salmon Trout, With all your brilliant mind, what ever led yo to diking just 'good' Scotch?