Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: create a link to IE home page  (Read 6965 times)

4GJohnny

create a link to IE home page
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »
Hello to each and everyone, I'm a newbie so welcome to me ;D
I would like to know if it's possible in html to create a link to the local computer's IE home page? If so, how?
For example, if a user click on a link, it will redirect and open their local IE's home page.

Thanks to all and more power.
4G

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: create a link to IE home page
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:20 AM »
It's not possible I'm afraid.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »
It's not possible I'm afraid.

Or....:

Code: [Select]
<script language="text/javascript">
if (document.layers)
  window.home();
else if (document.all)
  window.location="about:home";
else
  alert("Your browser kind of sucks.")
}
</script>
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
Well that's embarressing. I wasn't sure today when I posted it, so I did a quick Google and came up with nothing. It doesn't look like there's a cross-browser solution though. That code doesn't work for Chrome, as far as I can tell.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:27:26 AM »
I think with the advent of multi-page "homes" and such like, the whole concept of home has changed in meaning significantly.  If my "home" involved loading 10 tabs, I wouldn't want some sneaky web page to pull that javascript trick on me...
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:00:25 AM »
I think with the advent of multi-page "homes" and such like, the whole concept of home has changed in meaning significantly.  If my "home" involved loading 10 tabs, I wouldn't want some sneaky web page to pull that javascript trick on me...
Yep, exactly.  That's another reason why I thought it wasn't possible....

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:20:40 AM »
Why would any user need a link to their own IE home page? If they aren't using IE what would be the point? And if they are, since IE has a picture of a little house that the user can click on, wouldn't it be redundant? IE may not be installed (there are non-Microsoft OSs that people use!) or if it is, may not be the default browser. Is this a lazy script kiddie's social-engineering question designed to elicit information from gullible helpers on how to write web pages that hack the user's system in some way?

Quote from: Pom Roberoy
I wouldn't want some sneaky web page to pull that javascript trick

Exactly. Some more information on the OP's alleged reason for asking might clear that question up. Or it might not.

4GJohnny

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »
Why would any user need a link to their own IE home page? If they aren't using IE what would be the point? And if they are, since IE has a picture of a little house that the user can click on, wouldn't it be redundant? IE may not be installed (there are non-Microsoft OSs that people use!) or if it is, may not be the default browser. Is this a lazy script kiddie's social-engineering question designed to elicit information from gullible helpers on how to write web pages that hack the user's system in some way?
easy trout, ask questions first before jumping to conclusions.
we have a welcome page for free 30 minutes wifi access. after they agree on the terms, they will get routed to the 2nd page and it contains 3 choices; one going to accounting (if they want to purchase more hours), one going to mobile printing and the last one is exit. exit is currently set to google but we're thinking of redirecting exit to their IE's home page hence the question if possible. so to answer your question, NO, this is not a lazy script kiddie's social-engineering question designed to elicit information from gullible helpers on how to write web pages that hack the user's system in some way.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
exit is currently set to google but we're thinking of redirecting exit to their IE's home page hence the question if possible. so to answer your
Actually, I think redirecting to Google would be the best solution, as most users would have their homepage set to that anyway.